Should I wait until constitutional concealed carry bill passes or go get permit now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine like a week ago it's so easy you literally go to the pd. Fill out a form and three days later it's yours

It's only $10 IIRC so no big deal.

sent from my phone.
If you're talking non-res, it's $100. I'm doing my paperwork tonight and mailing it in tomorrow.

You know there will be legal challenges for a couple of years, and living right next to the state line, I'm back and forth across it all of the time. It's not worth saving the $100 for me to wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

i haven't paid much attention but what makes everyone think this bill will pass?

If you're talking non-res, it's $100. I'm doing my paperwork tonight and mailing it in tomorrow.

You know there will be legal challenges for a couple of years, and living right next to the state line, I'm back and forth across it all of the time. It's not worth saving the $100 for me to wait.

Oh, and it's for like 5 years. Not sure about duration for nonresident.

sent from my phone.

i haven't paid much attention but what makes everyone think this bill will pass?
Past several times were vetoed by a Democrat governor. This year, a Republican governor who has said he'll sign it is in office. Good chance it'll pass the house and get signed. At least my fingers are crossed.

sent from my phone.

I got mine like a week ago it's so easy you literally go to the pd. Fill out a form and three days later it's yours

3 days?!!!?!!! Where I'm at in NH you drop the form, make sure it's completely filled out, and they say come pick it up in 24 hours. Gives the Chief enough time to get to the station and put his Herbie Hancock on it. All they do is run a background check on you, and what does that take, 15-30 minutes at worst when you're buying a pistol/revolver?

3 days?!!!?!!! Where I'm at in NH you drop the form, make sure it's completely filled out, and they say come pick it up in 24 hours. Gives the Chief enough time to get to the station and put his Herbie Hancock on it. All they do is run a background check on you, and what does that take, 15-30 minutes at worst when you're buying a pistol/revolver?

Less than 24 hours from drop off to getting the pick-up call for mine in Pelham...

What legal challenges? Like the ones that didn't happen in Maine? There's literally nothing to challenge- the legislators changed the law! (pending final votes/signing) Do I need to post the schoolhouse rock video? [laugh]

ETA: The only reason to get the permit at this point is:

-The GFSZ thing that Kevin NH mentioned
-Reciprocity (if NH resident, else, this is worthless for everyone else, or pretty nearly so)
-Not sure how the legislature works; there may be a several month delay in enactment of the law like there was in Maine.

If any of those things is a concern, then yeah, apply and get it done.

-Mike

Last edited:

New republican governor that is on the record EAGER to sign it into law- unlike the last one, who vetoed it twice and there weren't enough votes to override the veto. So the ****in things been passed like 3 times, this time it will stick.

-Mike

Your thinking MA. Where everything requires a legal challenge. Odds are good once signed this is good to go.

As others have said, there is no downside to just getting it now. $10 and less than 24 hours in my case. Even when CC passes, it could be helpful when traveling to certain states.

If you are talking out of state, non-res, then maybe less of a slam-dunk, but probably still worth it if you travel to states that recognize NH permits. Just pay attention, some states that have reciprocity only have it for resident permits.

Am I missing something? Why would you need it at that point?

Don't take this as law, IANAL and do your own research. That being said two state's on this map (from my current understanding) accept resident permit only and are one's I will travel to (Florida and Colorado). In both of these states I feel LESS safe than in my home state, and I would be travelling with my wife and baby.

http://www.youcancarry.com/new-hampshire-ccw-reciprocity/

-Not sure how the legislature works; there may be a several month delay in enactment of the law like there was in Maine.

What I was told yesterday at the hearing is that it will go into effect as soon as it is signed. Just need to get it to the gov's desk.

ETA from the thread on SB12:

So is there an ETA on when this will go for a house vote?

Not formally, but tomorrow night check back on this page, or sign up for an alert from NHFC. http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/petitions/2016-constitutional-carry-petition/?s_id=nes1
Those on the inside who care about upholding the constitution are busy sharing information when ever they can. It is extremely unlikely for this to be on the floor tomorrow, potentially on the floor on the 9th.

1. Sign up for NHFC alerts and sign the petition, there is still time to give a bigger stack to the Speaker and the Governor. 500+ were turned into today by NHFC.
2. Contact your own reps this week and verify their support.
3. Be ready for Thursday the 9th.

Keep the pressure on. God willing this is law by the end of the month.
-Design

Last edited:
Am I missing something? Why would you need it at that point?

Do you like carrying in states that require a license and have reciprocity for an out of state citizen that has a resident permit? If so then you will need the p and r......which is why nh is still going to issue them once the law is signed. If you are a home body mama's boy and never leave your town..........f it.......don't get it. :)

Last edited:

Spend the money on your UTAH permit....better spent money and more reciprocity in more states.

I have my UT non-resident CHL, only carried on it twice in nearly a decade

Spend the money on your UTAH permit....better spent money and more reciprocity in more states.
Non-resident Utah gets you maybe 2 more states, but NH resident is just ten bucks and gets you reciprocity with states which do not accept Utah non-resident: Colorado, Florida, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

Compare that to spending around a hundred bucks for Utah (class and $47 application fee), just to add Montana, Nebraska and Nevada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom