Shot a 1911 for the first time today

1st time behind the 1911 trigger eh?

Kinda like going to a 4-star restaurant and sipping Dom Perignon with Heidi Klum after years of Burger King dates with Rosie O'donnell.

Not nowadays. You can get 2 glocks for what a decent 1911 cost. And it holds 8 rounds, whereas a Glock or XD holds 17 to 19 rounds if you get 9mm.

A lot less obvious sex appeal to a 1911. Then there's the safety. Its intimidating to new shooters.

But eventually most people come around. The same safety that takes some getting used to, allows the gun to have a 4 lb trigger with complete safety.

The single action, means the trigger can be tuned for minimal creep and no overtravel.

At 42 I'm rediscovering 1911s. My first was a Baer Premier II, then a Colt lightweight officers ACP project gun. And now I just bought another Baer, this time a commander sized gun in stainless.

And they do come in other calibers than 45!

After the S+W tour, I wanted to try the new 10mm nightguard...Sadly the range guy told me they would not be getting one for rental as they were "too expensive". The range guy then suggested what I believed to be blasphemy! a $2000 9mm 1911, hahaha

I decided to give it a go, I had the pleasure of trying the S+W performance center pro signature blah blah blah in 9mm and loved every single squeeze.

next build right there I tell ya.

Then there's the safety. Its intimidating to new shooters.

But eventually most people come around. The same safety that takes some getting used to, allows the gun to have a 4 lb trigger with complete safety.

How is the safety intimidating to new shooters? You put your thumb on the safety when you shoot the gun

My first gun is a smith and wesson 1911! I can't wait to get my ltc and pick it up. I shot one at smith last week and it showed me just how much practice I need. It also made me fall in love

Sorry, forgot an emoticon or three. The "I'm confused" was sarcasm/joking. A Government sized 1911 in 45 was my first gun. :)
The safety is an issue? A SIG Mosquito has a safety on the slide plus a decocker so how can a thumb safety on a 1911 be an issue?

Because to use the gun safely, and properly you also need to INSTINCTIVELY sweep the safety ON when you come off target and your finger comes off the trigger.

If you just want to go to the range and shoot at paper, its no more intimidating.

But if you compare the complexity of operating it compared to a new Glock, its intimidating.

As an aside, its only intimidating if someone explains the complexity. Otherwise the new shooter ignorantly owns a gun that they do not know how to operate safely as a defensive firearm.

Remember sweeping the safety ON needs to be as instinctive as sweeping it off. Typical, range sessions will not develop that habit.

Don

I'm just going to say that your last sentence implies not practicing correctly. Even when shooting at paper, it's trivial to get into the habit of doing the right thing with the safety, one just has to make themselves do it and after 1000 repetitions, it's instinctive. Heck you could force yourself to do it while dry firing. It's like forcing yourself to take your finger out of the triggerguard on a Glock.

My first was a Springfield 1911 A1, still love it even tho I am no where near as accurate with it then I am am with most my other hanguns. It was my dads carry gun and I will never part with it!

I'm just going to say that your last sentence implies not practicing correctly. Even when shooting at paper, it's trivial to get into the habit of doing the right thing with the safety, one just has to make themselves do it and after 1000 repetitions, it's instinctive. Heck you could force yourself to do it while dry firing. It's like forcing yourself to take your finger out of the triggerguard on a Glock.

You are right. I was sloppy with how I wrote what I wrote.

Most people don't have the discipline to always run their gun like they were using it defensively. But that is exactly how someone should do things if it is your defensive piece.

Its more common for me to see people wiht 1911's just insert the mag, rack the slide and start shooting. There's nothing wrong with this except that it doesn't get the person trained to use the safety.

If they only use a 1911 as a paper puncher, thats fine.

One other impediment to learning to use a 1911 properly is that many local ranges in my neck of the woods do not allow you to draw from a holster. Thats too bad.

Because to use the gun safely, and properly you also need to INSTINCTIVELY sweep the safety ON when you come off target and your finger comes off the trigger.

Remember sweeping the safety ON needs to be as instinctive as sweeping it off. Typical, range sessions will not develop that habit.

Don

why would you put the safety on when you come off target or when you finger comes off the trigger? There is no need. Put it on before you holster

I'm not going to argue with you about when you put the safety on. So I'll restate my point in a way that doesn't dispute when to put the safety on.

Because to use the gun safely, and properly you also need to INSTINCTIVELY sweep the safety ON when you reholster.
Remember sweeping the safety ON needs to be as instinctive as sweeping it off.

Again, I can draw upon personal experience where I performed adequately but not great.

I was a senior in college and was the victim of an attempted carjacking. The bg got in my car, threatened me, and said "drive". He was much larger than me.
I was carrying my 6906 (traditional double action). I'm left handed so I was well positioned to draw on him from inside my car.
I did. At the time I (stupidly) believed it was unsafe to carry with a round in the chamber. So I had practiced drawing and racking the slide quickly.
I drew, racked the slide and ordered him out of the car.
He bailed out so fast he fell on his ass in the middle of the road.

i was now left with a cocked and unlocked weapon.
I holstered and by the grace of god nothing happened.
The 6906 had a safety / decocker. I had never practiced decocking the gun before reholstering. And guess what, I didn't do it under duress.

Here is another stupid thing I didn't consider. If I had carried with a loaded chamber, I would have merely needed to draw.
I would have then been faced with a typical S&W 65 pound double action trigger pull. (actually more like 10 lbs)

Instead, I chose the "safe" way. By racking the slide, I was left with a 4 or 5 lb single action pull. Stupid me.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom