shooting on my own property

FrugalFannie

NES Member
What are the laws regarding the discharge of firearms on your own property? Does the lot have to be of a certain minimum size? certain distance from streets, neighbors? Do I have to build a berm or can I use some other form of backstop?

I'm looking to find a piece of recreation land where my family can camp and shoot and close to a lake.

Thanks,
Penny

You're pretty safe for the purpose of state and federal laws. No shooting within 15 feet of a road, no shooting within 300 feet of a building without occupant's permission, no shooting within the downtown area of a town. But you'd also have to check local firearms and noise bylaws in the local town.

Last edited:
You're pretty safe for the purpose of state and federal laws. No shooting within 15 feet of a road, no shooting within 300 feet of a building without occupant's permission, no shooting within the downtown area of a town. But you'd also have to check local firearms and noise bylaws in the local town.

I wonder if my neighbours are in violation when they are outside shooting at 10:30pm??

What are the laws regarding the discharge of firearms on your own property? Does the lot have to be of a certain minimum size? certain distance from streets, neighbors? Do I have to build a berm or can I use some other form of backstop?

I'm looking to find a piece of recreation land where my family can camp and shoot and close to a lake.

Thanks,
Penny

To be sure, you really need to check local laws. Many areas prohibit the discharging of a firearm within city/town limits...doesn't matter if you own the property or not. Do yourself a favor and check.

Note that that should be "within 150 feet" of any road. In Westford you'll need written permission from the property owner (yes, even yourself) before shooting. You also need to be aware that you aren't immune from disturbing the peace complaints if it's load enough that any neighbors complain, so stay on the best terms with all your neighbors, keep it as quiet as possible (e.g., .22 CB) and not too early or too late.

Ken

Thanks Guys.

Ken, I was referring to NH only. I didn't figure I could shoot on my little piece of land here in Westford.

Back
Top Bottom