• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Update on NH Politics and Pending Legislation?

Hello New Hampshiries;

Am a frustrated Rhodeislander seeing the writing on the wall regarding the sunset of 2a rights in RI. I am too young to retire and have my business kind of locked here so it would be prohibitive to move. That said we do own a few properties around and one is in a major city that I am truly sick of. May be in the market for selling and using the proceeds to buy property in your state. I love cycling, hiking and kayaking too and NH would be a great place for us to have a vacation property. WE have been renting Air B'B's for 10 years and I absolutely *LOVER* your state for its nature. Have done a lot of shooting in the woods behind more rural rental properties but neighbors eventually call the owner to reign us in. Am looking over the next maybe 1-2 years to acquire a house with large plot of land and would be curious to ask other gun owners there a few questions:

1. How are the gun politics, any mag or semi auto bans likely? Would you recommend someone to buy property in the interest of making their own 2a sanctuary for themselves or would you steer me away if you feel there is evil coming down the pike in your state as well?

and

2. Rural areas good for owning property and a BIG lot of land that are shooter friendly, IE no communist neighbors flying rainbow flags to complain about our shooting? We *really* like the area between lakes/mountains like Sandwich, Ossipee and Tamworth but the lib-tardery seems to be increasing. Can't stand "GLOBAL WARMING" and "MAGGIE HASSAN" signs. SW New Hampshire is cheaper and likely better for that as well and it's closer to RI but has less natural beauty. Any suggestions for places to buy a house w/ lots of property I plan on using for lots of shooting? My limit is the Sandwich Mountain range anything further north is too far to drive, closer is better of course.

We are pretty chill. I moved up from MA about 7 years ago, it is really nice to be able to go into a shop and find what you want. Or, be able to buy what you want and ship it in.

I actually suspect much of the RI legislation you are talking about will not survive the legal challenges in progress. Some probably will, but I think/hope most goes away.

Thank you for your reply but 2a isn't the only reason. I am very outdoorsy and adore cycling; have done very long 100+ mile bike rides in the White Mountains, Kancamagus hwy as well as riding extensive trails/mountain biking on the fire roads/doubletrack. I love kayaking and Squam Lake is spectacular for those adventures. Very much into hiking and that same area is God's country, too many trails to list.

It's a variety of reasons motivating me to consider buying a property in NH but if I end up doing it I want to do it right and be able to "have it all". This includes being able to own, possess and shoot just about anything I already own including big mags, semi auto, binary trigger from my own back yard. It seems every year or two I keep bringing more and more stuff to give to a friend of mine to keep for me who already lives in NH awaiting eventual disposition whether I will sell it or just keep it in a prospective property up north.

I do disagree with you regarding overturning of laws as new gun regulations and bans almost always stick. In this case the mag ban was upheld this Friday.

CA139 said:
It's a variety of reasons motivating me to consider buying a property in NH but if I end up doing it I want to do it right and be able to "have it all". This includes being able to own, possess and shoot just about anything I already own including big mags, semi auto, binary trigger from my own back yard
I do disagree with you regarding overturning of laws as new gun regulations and bans almost always stick. In this case the mag ban was upheld this Friday.
Should probably just start your own thread for you rather than hijacking a thread important to current residents.

As for the laws being overturned, it's not over until SCOTUS denies Cert.
How are the gun politics, any mag or semi auto bans likely? Would you recommend someone to buy property in the interest of making their own 2a sanctuary for themselves or would you steer me away if you feel there is evil coming down the pike in your state as well?
As long as there are any democrat reps or state senators, there are going to be anti-gun LSRs, but there's no "mag or semi auto bans likely" at the state level, though we're also less likely to go all "sanctuary sheriffs" like some places out in the far western part of the USA.
Rural areas good for owning property and a BIG lot of land that are shooter friendly, IE no communist neighbors flying rainbow flags to complain about our shooting? We *really* like the area between lakes/mountains like Sandwich, Ossipee and Tamworth but the lib-tardery seems to be increasing. Can't stand "GLOBAL WARMING" and "MAGGIE HASSAN" signs. SW New Hampshire is cheaper and likely better for that as well and it's closer to RI but has less natural beauty. Any suggestions for places to buy a house w/ lots of property I plan on using for lots of shooting? My limit is the Sandwich Mountain range anything further north is too far to drive, closer is better of course.
Houses, with or without acreage, are still scarce and expensive in S.NH. Basically you want to avoid the blue towns in the election results maps (2020 being less predictive than other years). Anywhere in the state, you can expect that if you get a house on many acres, get suppressors, then your neighbors can't say boo.

Last edited:
IMO, there is no real 2A threat in NH provided folks pay attention to any bills introduced and actually show up to vote when needed. The shitbirds will still do shitbird things every year to try to eliminate 2A rights-that is true for just about every state.

If you're not going to actually move and vote in NH, just buy a couple dozen+ acres anywhere and stick a cabin on it. Just sticking an RV on the lot will be cheaper for the property tax aspects, but RVs are not cheap to own and can be a pain in the ass.

Since you won't be living in NH, location and convenience of shopping/health care won't really matter. Since you don't want to go north, I would look west of 93 instead of the areas you mentioned.

Should probably just start your own thread for you rather than hijacking a thread important to current residents.

As for the laws being overturned, it's not over until SCOTUS denies Cert.

As long as there are any democrat reps or state senators, there are going to be anti-gun LSRs, but there's no "mag or semi auto bans likely" at the state level, though we're also less likely to go all "sanctuary sheriffs" like some places out in the far western part of the USA.

Houses, with or without acreage, are still scarce and expensive in S.NH. Basically you want to avoid the blue towns in the election results maps (2020 being less predictive than other years). Anywhere in the state, you can expect that if you get a house on many acres, get suppressors, then your neighbors can't say boo.
Please read carefully because I was the OP so am starting my own thread and I felt it germane because my biggest interest is feeling out directly from current NH residents that are gun owners what kind of future momentum and likely probability of success the anti gunners have in your state before buying a property there.

I realize that there is some left wing invasion from MA and looking to see overall how bad it is.

Yes property values are high(er) than they used to be because I was toying with this idea 10 years ago and nearly bought a 1200sq ft house with 85 acres of land for 130k. I could have written the check. Since then inherited an apartment in a large city that I don't care for but it's too old and not necessarily dilapidated but just not updated enough to rent and it's too far away to supervise the renovation or tenant behavior. I honestly just want to sell it but been sitting on it for a few years paying all those fees with few visits it's gone up in value and would get socked w/ capital gains so looking to do a 1035 exchange and NH could be the place to do it since I always just prefer to go up north vs the big big city. Despite its (minor) issues can sell for more or less the kind of property I am looking for as long as the house is not a mansion and maybe start saving now to make up the difference.

As far as suppressors I am not interested because they don't really silence weapons down that much except low power airguns and subsonic rimfire. From experience with friends who have them in free(er) states and Las Vegas indoor & outdoor rentals any centerfire gun with silencer still requires hearing protection for sustained shooting.

Some of you really like to talk, your rights will always be under attack and require either constant vigilance or don't give a fawk and do the right thing when it comes to your rights and suffer the consequences if you get caught. NH is the best 2a state in New England but there are lunatics trying to change that.

As far as suppressors I am not interested because they don't really silence weapons down that much except low power airguns and subsonic rimfire. From experience with friends who have them in free(er) states and Las Vegas indoor & outdoor rentals any centerfire gun with silencer still requires hearing protection for sustained shooting.
While suppressors don't "silence" the shot, between a good suppressor and a subsonic loading, you will vastly reduce the annoyance to your neighbors, though sustained shooting can still be impolite.

feeling out directly from current NH residents that are gun owners what kind of future momentum and likely probability of success the anti gunners have in your state before buying a property there
The trend in New Hampshire, over the 15 years I've been paying attention, has been towards greater 2A liberty.

As others have mentioned, you can't do better this side of Kansas.

Yes I get that 2a right are under attack everywhere. All rights are under attack except those that cause people to become deranged, weak, mentally ill, devoid of critical thinking and dependent on the underlying system. I see how much harder it becomes just to do anything the last few years except to be an obese, mindless zombie consumer. There's definitely a deep state making all things that are good for you harder and harder to attain whilst encouraging you to fall prey to something that weakens you. Once I accept that the tide for so many things will relentlessly keep rising for me the highest ground that is practically attainable is New Hampshire and it has some financial benefits to boot. Like most large decisions it's not just one thing motivating the rationale to buy property but the gun issue would want me to have more land, a lot more land in a more rural area just to make it easier for me.

"...NH is better than Mass (or RI) in many, many ways but it is not utopia."
+1 on your signature.
From what I know agree 100% and so far the rest of the replies more or less correlate with what I have come to know and would love to see the responses keep coming. Thanks again

I had a place in RI long enough to know the Ocean State wasn't for me. I was commuting back and forth between Manchester and Providence, every time I crossed the border northbound it was like a weight was lifted from my shoulders.
"...NH is better than Mass (or RI) in many, many ways but it is not utopia."
+1 on your signature.
From what I know agree 100% and so far the rest of the replies more or less correlate with what I have come to know and would love to see the responses keep coming. Thanks again
I mostly put that in there to tweak the nose of (former?) NESer mark056

I had a place in RI long enough to know the Ocean State wasn't for me. I was commuting back and forth between Manchester and Providence, every time I crossed the border northbound it was like a weight was lifted from my shoulders.

I mostly put that in there to tweak the nose of (former?) NESer mark056
When my family first moved from Italy we got fooled by the fact that the state was very much our nationality. We had no idea that there was a difference from real Italians with culture and class while most of it was the "triguido" area with lots of "yo yo YO"ing and Jersey Shoring going on.

We did very well and it's too late. Joined the family business, am very successful in what I do and to transplant and move would be terribly life altering. It's too late. My vehemently anti communist mother who counter protested in the 60's against the reds keeps berating my father about "YOU MOVED TO THE COMMUNIST CAPITAL OF THIS COUNTRY FULL OF ZOTICONI". I love that word "Zoticone", look it up, says everything you need to know about RI Italo-Americans. That said I went to school here, had a really good life met my wife here and have a good life so I can't complain too much.

Am looking for a way to have my cake and eat it too. And if I ever have to get rid of my guns for good when they ban them all I still adore doing Kancamagus centuries (100 mile bike rides) or hiking 4000+ footers in the fall. They will probably require registration of boots and a license for bikes. You just wait and see.

A regular commute from NH to RI is gonna get real old, real fast.

Grew up in RI, worked in Newport in defense until I got laid off and then ended up working in computers in MA, first Natick, then Burlington. The commute to Burlington was 77 miles each way, 27 of that on 128. It royally sucked, and that was mid 90's. It hasn't improved.

You'd almost need to stay in RI for the work week and weekend it in NH, if you have to be at the job every day.

Even right across the line in NH, it's long- going further north where land is more affordable for your recreational purposes just adds time to the drive.

Grew up in RI, worked in Newport in defense until I got laid off and then ended up working in computers in MA, first Natick, then Burlington. The commute to Burlington was 77 miles each way, 27 of that on 128. It royally sucked, and that was mid 90's. It hasn't improved.
Even right across the line in NH, it's long- going further north where land is more affordable for your recreational purposes just adds time to the drive.
If you have to go through Burlington rush hour traffic is painful; starting from a little further west in NH makes the commute to RI slightly more bearable, but I still tried to avoid same day round-trips.

You'd almost need to stay in RI for the work week and weekend it in NH, if you have to be at the job every day.
As mentioned, I did that for quite a while. Driving down Sunday night wasn't bad, but trying to go north on Friday afternoons in the summer was so bad that I changed my work schedule just to avoid that traffic.

Since then I've done further work for RI customers, but always remote.

If you have to go through Burlington rush hour traffic is painful; starting from a little further west in NH makes the commute to RI slightly more bearable, but I still tried to avoid same day round-trips.

From the West you can head down 290 to 146 and get to RI that way- not totally horrible but still a long trip. My folks lived in Smithfield and for visits that was our preferred route.

Anywhere from central NH (ie off 93) really requires going through Manchester and then south through MA- ugly for a daily drive.

From SW NH you have a lot of smaller roads to drive before you hit a highway you can make time on. And Worcester can be a mess.

I live in Northern RI so the 146 route is more likely. Have been a lot to the central area in NH between lakes and White Mountains. I love Tamworth, Sandwich and Ossipee but a little too densely populated for my interests. Also too many "GLOBAL WARMING" and "RENEWABLE ENERGY" and "MAGGIE HASSAN" and "RAINBOW" signs or flags reminiscent of the phone calling "I HEAR GUNFIRE AND AM CONCERNED" do-gooders I want to get away from.

I wasn't looking to move to NH and commute to my job in RI. I was looking for a 2nd home as I inherited an apartment a few years ago in a major city that we just don't use and is worth pretty close to what I could be looking for in NH might cost so I could sell it doing a 1031 exchange avoiding any capital gains and using the proceeds to make the transaction pretty close to cost neutral to me.

I work 4 days a week and from home on Friday so going up on Thu night for 3 day weekends most of the time would be the in the works returning Sunday. Complicated long term plans as it involves sons joining family business in the distant future but considering eventually going to 3 days a week and staying in NH the rest. I would be looking to move some things around financially looking to house as much of my and family revenue streams, business(es) and investment account addresses to where I literally would be spending more than 1/2 the days for income tax breaks too. It's part of a long term plan with benefits at multiple levels, just doing my research before pulling the trigger.

I live in Northern RI so the 146 route is more likely. Have been a lot to the central area in NH between lakes and White Mountains. I love Tamworth, Sandwich and Ossipee but a little too densely populated for my interests. Also too many "GLOBAL WARMING" and "RENEWABLE ENERGY" and "MAGGIE HASSAN" and "RAINBOW" signs or flags reminiscent of the phone calling "I HEAR GUNFIRE AND AM CONCERNED" do-gooders I want to get away from.

I wasn't looking to move to NH and commute to my job in RI. I was looking for a 2nd home as I inherited an apartment a few years ago in a major city that we just don't use and is worth pretty close to what I could be looking for in NH might cost so I could sell it doing a 1031 exchange avoiding any capital gains and using the proceeds to make the transaction pretty close to cost neutral to me.

I work 4 days a week and from home on Friday so going up on Thu night for 3 day weekends most of the time would be the in the works returning Sunday. Complicated long term plans as it involves sons joining family business in the distant future but considering eventually going to 3 days a week and staying in NH the rest. I would be looking to move some things around financially looking to house as much of my and family revenue streams, business(es) and investment account addresses to where I literally would be spending more than 1/2 the days for income tax breaks too. It's part of a long term plan with benefits at multiple levels, just doing my research before pulling the trigger.

Doing workdays in RI and long (and getting longer) weekends in NH is doable, ie the second home. Initially I thought you were looking to commute, which is why I posted what I did.

It can be a lengthy drive each weekend, but a lot of folks do it.

I'll agree Ossipee is a bit crowded, but away from the lake it isn't as bad. There are parts of Tamworth and Sandwich that are isolated. At least with Ossipee and Sandwich there are lakefront properties to bear the property tax burden, so off lake properties aren't getting nailed as bad.

Anything getting to eastern NH is gonna involve east to west travel, the routes can get hit hard by traffic.

If you are looking for rural without having to travel too far east you may want to look at southwest NH, north of 101 and south of i-89. There are moonbat pockets along 101 and a bunch around Hanover and Sunapee, but other areas aren't as bad. Not as "touristy" either. If a longer drive is ok, then you can look north of 89 and west of 93. Avoid Newfound Lake and Plymouth for moonbattery, the rest is fairly reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom