• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting in the woods in MA?

how about the cape? i cant find anything aside from the ranges and it just honest to god gets boring plinking in a straight direction at some paper if that makes sense

Get a hunting license, wait for an open season that allows the sort of firearm you want to shoot, and go hunting. Just miss, unless you really intended to hunt all along.

HELL of an idea! There is always something open to hunt. Jack.

The following species may be taken year round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, and woodchuck.

I bring a .22 revolver or semi to central MA, such as the WMAs off season, and plink all the time. With my Charter Arms Pathfinder I can shoot Aquila Colibri or CCI CB Shorts, and it's pretty quiet, although I also pop off a few rounds of the mini-mags and Stingers, just to feel alive. I'll find a safe backstop, like a hill without rocks, and shoot at a can, or dead wood, etc I find plinking in the woods very fun, relaxing, and re-energizing to face the world. And even my wife.

Interesting thread. One reason the nostalgia from 12 years ago is a faint glimmer is due to “progress”. That progress is urban expansion and there is no way the rural plinker lifestyle will fit in with urbanization. Real estate values due to urbanization have skyrocketed since those former days so take the profits from your sales of real estate and do a few things: Buy a large tract of land with features allowing natural backstops, buy far away from dense urban and especially suburban areas due to many sheep and karens, and if it works out for your situation move far away from this state starting out fresh.

I have land out in north central Ma where I have steel plate setups and shoot every caliber I own. Small improvements allow up to 100 yards now. I just use personal discretion on what times of the day, week, or season that I shoot. It sure is easier than dealing with a club range to some degree. I’ve had one cop drive by slowly on the adjacent road possibly due to a neighbor calling after mag dumps 3 years ago. The only other occurrence I had was one follow me into the driveway to check if I was the owner and not “trespassing” since I do have it posted. We had a great conversation and he was on his way. There are piles of brass on my pistol range. Freedom while not so secure in this state begins to appear stronger west of 495.

Otis is not SE Mass, it is in the Berkshires of western MA, my neck of the woods.

I live in the woods so I have a private place to shoot in the woods, and that would be off of my deck. On nice days I load my mags on the picnic table, on cold days I load my mags on the dining room table (I have a very understanding wife).

Otis is not SE Mass, it is in the Berkshires of western MA, my neck of the woods.

I live in the woods so I have a private place to shoot in the woods, and that would be off of my deck. On nice days I load my mags on the picnic table, on cold days I load my mags on the dining room table (I have a very understanding wife).
Otis ANGB

Otis ANGB
My property abuts OTIS ANGB. I would love to go out there, but have a feeling I would get a visit from local PD, Base Police or MSP. And, there are so many mountain bike riders darting in and out of the thousands of trails, it could get a little dicey on moving targets. If you get some info, please let me know! During hunting seasons I do hear shots on occasion, but not often.

It's good to see a lot of people getting some use out of this old thread !!! Keeps the cards and letters coming !!!! :D

While I see your point and am not sure of your age, plinking is fun...I grew up plinking with bb guns then .22's in the forests of Massachusetts with my grandfather, then Northeast Ohio after my parents sentenced us to live there in the late 70's. I hit spots in the woods around Blanford, set up and plink. It's much less formal and to me - a lot more relaxing than gearing up and going to the range. To me, it's almost a right of passage - a tradition sadly going the way of drive-in movies....
Wait...There's still drive in movies?
Holy shit Batman
Let's all pile in tha Desoto
I keep going by the Braintree one, Hoping to catch a glimpse of that old screen playing once more and not rearending the guy in front doing the same thing.
Any one else remember the service plaza at the braintree split....

Wait...There's still drive in movies?
Holy shit Batman
Let's all pile in tha Desoto
I keep going by the Braintree one, Hoping to catch a glimpse of that old screen playing once more and not rearending the guy in front doing the same thing.
Any one else remember the service plaza at the braintree split....

They reopen next Friday! My favorite part is the old school intermission film with the hot dog jumping into the bun!!

Back
Top Bottom