Shooting ear muffs, anyone have a set they really like

I was shooting yesterday for the first time in a while. I don't have a nice set of ear muffs so i was just using the plugs. I decided I should just get a set of muffs. The plugs don't work that well especially if you are shooting a lot. It just seems one of the plugs never seems to seal that great.

Can anyone recommend me a set of nice ear muffs or another type of hearing device.

I have never used an electronic set but i wouldn't be opposed to those. I'd like to keep it around $0-$75 or so.

I started off with a set of remmingtons but it seemed like i always had to lift them off one side of my head to line up my sites on all of my riffles. so i switched to inner ear protection its not as good at sound buffering but better than lifting one side completly off my head. i want to pick up a pair of saftey glasses that have the inner ear protectors built in.

i've been looking for a thin pair of muffs. The ones I have are really bulky and it's hard to get a consistent cheek weld on a rifle without breaking the seal

Well, which plugs have you used? Cheapo, bulk, disposable ones, that you roll to stick in, the ones that expand after, those are far better than any earmuffs. Sound seal is super-duper, but they are uncomfy after a long time, feels like someone tried to rape you in your ear.

Unless you got tiny ears, half the problem is muffs fitting to your skull/years tight enough. Try different ones for comfort. Tech is pretty similar. No need for $300 muffs, just get a bunch cheap ones. You'd be surprised how $10 pair can fit quite well.

The other thing is if you wear glasses and have the muffs on for an extended period the temple pieces of your glasses gets pressed into your skull and starts to hurt.

I've always used the rubber plugs, not the foam ones. I cant get the roll-up/expanding foam ones to seal. I also have a pair of foam plugs on a hard plastic headband, tension from the band keeps them in and they work really well for me. I got those at Dicks.

I've always used the rubber plugs, not the foam ones. I cant get the roll-up/expanding foam ones to seal. I also have a pair of foam plugs on a hard plastic headband, tension from the band keeps them in and they work really well for me. I got those at Dicks.

I had a set of rubber ones somewhere and i remember them being better than the foam. I was trying to find a set but i'll probably just buy another. Maybe I'll try that. If they work, they would be better for shooting rifles.

I heard very good things about Howard Leight electronic earmuffs So I bough a couple pair. I haven't tried them yet so I cannot say. I did have a pair of Peltor electronic muffs I liked, but they stopped working. I still use them for ear muffs though.

Me, my wife, and 2 best friends have been using these for over a year now. Love them. I shoot mostly trap, indoor pistol 1 per week, and rifle/carbine a few times per month. None of us have any problems with cheek weld, they shut off automatically, and the batteries last approx 1 year on mine. My wifes set only last 3-4 months for some reason but they're AAA batteries so they're pretty cheap. I think they run about $60-$70.

Maybe you guys can help me too. I have a cheap set of Caldwell electronic muffs. I got them because they were advertised to actually amplify sound when cranked all the way up. I need that feature because I'm hard of hearing. Well, the Caldwell's do not do what they say they would.

I'm looking for a set that will amplify sound so that I can have a conversation with my muffs on and also it will allow for hearing range commands at those NES gunshoots. Anybody got something good along those lines?

Maybe you guys can help me too. I have a cheap set of Caldwell electronic muffs. I got them because they were advertised to actually amplify sound when cranked all the way up. I need that feature because I'm hard of hearing. Well, the Caldwell's do not do what they say they would.

I'm looking for a set that will amplify sound so that I can have a conversation with my muffs on and also it will allow for hearing range commands at those NES gunshoots. Anybody got something good along those lines?

My Leights do that. Where do you shoot John? If you want to try mine out sometime feel free. They're only like $60 or so IIRC at Cabella's.

The foam plugs don't work well for me either. I can never get the right ear to seal all the way, I must have a big canal on the right.

lol, i actually just ordered a set of those myself based off of what members said here about them, and the reviews. I also decided to get a set of rubber ones for $10 so we'll see which ones I like better. Right now i am not doing too much rifle shooting but that will change soon.

There you go. That's a good price too.

Howard leight's here, just couldn't justify the extra cost of the Peltor Com-Tac's for low profile.

yanici -The Howard Leight's have built in amplification to help hear conversations. You might want to see if you can find anyone to let you barrow them to try out however, as I am not sure they may have enough amp for your needs. I find that the amplification is vastly superior to none at all, but its not perfect. I suspect that if the Caldwell's are not amplifying enough for you that the Howard's will likely not be much if any better in that regard.

My Leights do that. Where do you shoot John? If you want to try mine out sometime feel free. They're only like $60 or so IIRC at Cabella's.

Thanks, Bob. I shoot at the Andover Sportsmen's Club but I live just south of Lowell. If you're nearby maybe we can meet up. Probably not necessary to actually shoot. My problem is hearing anything with muffs on. 60 bucks ain't bad if those things really do amplify.

Canislupy, thanks too. I fear that you might be right. I had Battenfield, the ditributor for the Caldwell muffs, hand pick the ones I now own because I called and complained that the first ones I bought didn't seem to amplify. The new improved, hand picked and tested ones, were marginally better. May be looking for that famous "Unobtanium" brand, huh?

Last edited:
Yanici, have you looked into electronic earplug technology such as these?
http://www.earinc.com/p1-electronic.php

Unfortunately, we are talking a different price league here....

Probably out of my price range. I do have a set of custom plugs from Michael Maal that I use a lot. I am going to be helping our pistol class instructor with the live firing portion of his class and I think I might need something soon.

Howard Leights for pistol shooting (over plugs if it's something really loud like my 500.) Rubber plugs alone for rifle.

next gun show have the ear plug guy make you a set that forms to your ear canal. Best money I've spent. . . I bought his "basic" set a couple years ago, and recently had a pair made that were electronic. They were pricey, but I use them to shoot, motorcycle, and when I'm in the roadster (no mufflers and sidepipes)

I use ear plugs called 'Earpro Sonic Defenders' by Surefire. They are soft, very comfortable and seal really well in my ears. I've had custom molded plugs that don't come close to these. They retail at Brownells for about $14.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23976/Product/EARPRO_SONIC_DEFENDERS

I like earplugs because:
- ear muffs push in on the glasses on the temple and over time cause me headaches
- ear muffs, on a warm day, get really hot
- when I mount a rifle or shotgun, the butt stock and ear muffs interfere with each other

The custom molded plugs I have, when mounting a shotgun, the seal in my ear breaks. These EarPro ones are soft and flexible enough that the seal doesn't break.

I like these plugs so much I have a few sets of them, one for my range bag, one for the car, one for the motorcycle and an extra set incase I loose one.

Back
Top Bottom