Shooting ear muffs, anyone have a set they really like

Haven't gotten a chance to write back what i thought of the HL muffs. I took them to the range Thursday. Overall, I would say they are pretty good. My ears weren't ringing when I was done. There were quite a few ppl shooting which was indoors. The guy 2 stalls down was shooting his AR and it didn't bother me at all.

The only thing that did start to bother me like others had said is after a while is the safety glasses pushing against the side of my head. I might try to work on a fix for that.

Hearing loss and problems like tinitis do not necessarily occur after one session. This loss can be gradual over a period of time. The real problem is that this sort of damage is permanent.

HL fanboy here. Very good for extended range times.

For you guys with the glasses earpiece issues, try putting the ears of the glasses over the top of the muffs. Depending upon the shape of you head, it can help.

Hearing loss and problems like tinitis do not necessarily occur after one session. This loss can be gradual over a period of time. The real problem is that this sort of damage is permanent.

I wasn't really referring to that. What i was referring to was that after shooting with just foam plugs one of my ears usually ring for a little bit. This is usually because one of the foam plugs doesn't seal right or comes loose and you always have to mess with it. This did not happen with the HL's so its a start.

Last edited:
I got a pair of Howard Leight ear muffs. Haven't been able to take them to a range, but I tried clapping pretty hard right next to my ear and it just sounded like a dull thud. I think they'll work out just fine.

I use the Howard Leights that have been mentioned so may times. They are very good for the money. I would like to try one of those $300 sets that some people use to see if they really are any better.

I think someone brought up this link earlier in the post which took me off to look at them. E.A.R. Mini-Canal They certainly are expensive at $900 for the digital ones, but the reviews show very happy people with them. These seem like the kind of thing you could wear all day long and forget about them being in, but sure are expensive.

I am leaning toward the Howard Leights. I also have a pair of Surefire's that I could wear under them. I was wondering how they work with an Ipod?

I use NRR 33 HL MAX foamies and the blue Peltor Bullseye non-electronic muffs, sometimes together, sometimes one or the other. The HL foamies are beasts, and if I drop the muffs overtop I have to be careful, because I can barely hear range commands if they aren't right near me. I've been pondering a set of electronic muffs...I'll get there.

Just bought a pair of these ~ Howard Leight R-01526

View attachment 76672

Tim ~ [grin]

I have these, but they really don't work very well. These from Harbor Freight are surprisingly good, much better than the ones shown above but they are super bulky. This is my go-to set when shooting pistols.

Ear Muffs

When I am shooting a rifle, I use disposable plugs and the Howard Leight muffs shown above. If the muffs lift a little when shooting the rifle, it isn't that big of a deal. I read somewhere when researching hearing protection that plugs alone aren't good enough, you need something that covers the entire ear. FWIW.

Chris

I am still using my HL's and they have been pretty comfortable. Sometimes with safety glasses on it starts to hurt the side of my head but it isn't that bad.

Back
Top Bottom