Shooting .22lr without ear protection

First let's start off by saying I always wear ear and eye protection when I shoot.

Now my question is when shooting .22's is ear protection nessicary? I've heard them go off, can they damge your ears? Any input is welcome.

Your better off always wearing ear protection - that being said I have been without for periods of a time at the range when others are firing .22 and lets say it was not deafening in my experience.

I've read that .22LR ammo averages at 120-130dB and prolonged exposure to SPL levels over 85dB cause hearing loss. So the answer is "yes...wear hearing protection" :)

Yes they are detrimental to your hearing.

Here's a short list of Environmental Noise decibel ratings:

dB
Environmental Noise

Normal breathing

Interior home noise

Crowded restaurant

City traffic

Hearing Damage Possible

Lawn mower

Threshold of Pain

Siren

Jackhammer

Jet engine at takeoff

.22 pistol

12 gauge shotgun

.45 ACP pistol

9mm pistol

.357 Magnum revolver

The decibel scale is a logarithmic scale, not a linear one. Each increase of 3 dB corresponds to sound that has twice as much energy (measured in pascals). Each 10 dB increase corresponds to a 10-fold increase in energy.

Loudness is a subjective thing. People might perceive a particular sound to be twice as loud when there is actually a 10-fold increase in energy. Most people cannot perceive differences in loudness of less than 3 dB.

Here's the rest of it
http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/decibel.htm

I agree about always wearing hearing protection (self-taught lesson from standing next to the drummer in HS Jazz Ensemble), but I'm curious about the .22 short cartridge. It seems to be substantially quieter, though I've been unable to locate reliable data.

I've done it. It's not too loud, but still loud enough that it can cause permanent damage. Your ears are your own...I'm going to wear hearing protection, in the future.

but you should fire off a few rounds in an enclosed space just so you have an idea how you are going to react if you, for example, have to let a few rounds fly in your house while defending yourself or family.

We can shoot at targets all day long with eye and ear protection, but when the SHTF the bad guys are not going to let you go get hearing protectors, so IMHO I'd let a few rounds fly without them and make note of how you react, how accurate your second shot is, if you get disoriented, etc.

but you should fire off a few rounds in an enclosed space just so you have an idea how you are going to react if you, for example, have to let a few rounds fly in your house while defending yourself or family.

We can shoot at targets all day long with eye and ear protection, but when the SHTF the bad guys are not going to let you go get hearing protectors, so IMHO I'd let a few rounds fly without them and make note of how you react, how accurate your second shot is, if you get disoriented, etc.

Except, ammo in defensive calibers CAN cause permanent hearing damage, on the first shot. Not a guarantee, but not a risk I'd like to take

Yes, you should permanently degrade your hearing just for the experience of having done so. [rolleyes] I don't think you'll even notice the noise if you're in a self defense situation, as I remember reading many reports indicate. Your problem will be dexterity under adrenaline dump.

That's a really bad idea. Why don't we all take a shot to the leg or chest too, just so we don't freak out if or when that happens? ;)

we were shooting .22 pistols at a club, back in the motherland, we were probably around 14. No one heard of ear protection back then. [shocked]

Truly stupid idea.

we were shooting .22 pistols at a club, back in the motherland, we were probably around 14. No one heard of ear protection back then. [shocked]

Yup, I don't remember using ear protection when I was shooting single-shot bolt action .22 rifles in summer camp at about the same age as you were. On the other hand, I don't know if it was that or wind-noise from riding a motorcycle for 10 years without ear plugs that damaged my hearing... but I can tell you I'd give an awful lot to have my perfect hearing back again.

Pakman, don't be stupid - wear your ear protection.

Someone pulled off my hearing protection during live fire of .22lr pistols in an indoor range.

I immediately became disoriented, lost my balance, and was nauseated for a couple hours.

Would not recommend trying it.

Having said that, I was near someone that commenced fire with a .22lr rifle in an outdoor range before I had my hearing protection on, and since they were at a 100yard station, the lack of any surface reflecting the sound back meant that I experienced no discomfort to the one report I was exposed to.

wind-noise from riding a motorcycle for 10 years without ear plugs damaged my hearing... but I can tell you I'd give an awful lot to have my perfect hearing back again.

Ditto. It sure did a number on mine. A real warning to all you half helmet wearing riders out there.

Also ever hear a Beretta Mod 21A pistol report. MMMMMMMMMMM BOY is it loud!

I had a FTF whilst shooting russian surplus in my saiga 5.45, I ejected the round and threw it in my pocket, finished the mag(inteded last of the day) and then took out my ear plugs. Suddenly remembering I had the FTF in my pocket, I quickly pulled it out threw it in the chamber and fired. That was unpleasant.

I agree about always wearing hearing protection (self-taught lesson from standing next to the drummer in HS Jazz Ensemble), but I'm curious about the .22 short cartridge. It seems to be substantially quieter, though I've been unable to locate reliable data.

There is a round called .22 CB, which are quite a bit quieter than regular .22. I have fired them through a Browning 22 lever action, and they were quiet enough not to use hearing protection. I would always use hearing protection with regular .22 LR and .22 short.

Standard Velocity ammo is not loud fired from a rifle. Maybe sounds louder if you were in front of the muzzle but not if you're shooting.

Even though I haven't done so yet, I totally agree with you, and do plan to do it at some point just because, as you say - you more than likely will not have earpro when the day comes to actually use your firearm defensively.

As has been said many times the level is loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage. Well above the level. That doesn't mean your going to notice a sudden loss of hearing after hearing a couple of reports from a .22 rifle, but if you shoot frequently it will make a difference. If you have the choice why would you opt for not protecting your hearing? In addition to shooting many other activities warrant the use of hearing protection. Mowing the lawn, air travel. I frequently fly to Japan, and wear earplugs on the long flight. In addition to protecting my hearing I find I'm a lot less tired at the end of the flight.

How do you plan on accounting for auditory exclusion?

Why do they make guns so loud anyway?[wink]
Good question. USA really ought to make suppressors mandatory, like in Scotland.

Wikipedia said:
Live tests by independent reviewers of numerous commercially available suppressors find that even low caliber unsuppressed .22 LR firearms produce gunshots over 160 decibels. In testing, most of the suppressors reduced the volume to between 130 and 145 dB, with the quietest suppressors metering at 117 dB. The actual suppression of sound ranged from 14.3 to 43 dB, with most data points around the 30 dB mark.
Wikipedia

It depends on the gun. A friend has a 26" heavy barrel rifle that sounds like a bb gun with standard velocity ammo. Thats nowhere near the db level that others here are pointing to. And that would never hurt your ears. But out of a k-22 its loud enough to hurt. So, I'd say if you're out by yourself with a quiet gun, go ahead and take the ear goggles off. But, if there are others at the range or your gun is loud, put them on.

Back
Top Bottom