• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting .22lr without ear protection

I've listened to loud music, rode motorcycles, and worked as a diesel mechanic for 40 years and all I can say is WHAT? sorry about the duplicate post, I'm getting older and sometime I repeat myself

Last edited:
Im totally for supressors. I could see supressors for a carry gun it would suck shooting in a self defense situation and go deaf as payment..

Also if suppressors were mandatory , it would also force gun engineers to make smaller and shorter suppressor barells for a ccw gun. We both win, save our ears amd sheep dont hear the loud bang, and an increase in ballistic sound dampening technology , using new materials etc to make it work better in a smaller cartridge

I'd prefer "Legal" over mandatory...Would you really want to carry a suppressed pistol concealed? I prefer to keep my concealed pistol as small and comfortable as possible.
In a dream world where suppressors were mandatory, the $200 transfer tax would be ruled unconstitutional, just like the poll tax.

Ear Protection in Combat

Do modern troops wear ear protection in combat?

I've often thought that every veteran of WWII must have suffered hearing loss.
I don't recall reading or learning that ear plugs were every issued to anyone.
Maybe tankers, but everyone else...?

well gun producers could start designing guns with a suppressor already built into the gun, though they would be the size of the Glock 34, but have a barrel from the 26, if they could get the suppressor small enough to be just larger than a barrel, it would work. basically using a 3.5" Barrel , then using that extra 2inches to work as a sound dampener to a safe level.. it would be more than a BB gun, but not enough to damage your ears..

i often ask that same thing, as well as police officers who shoot their gun off during shootouts with bad guys.. i mean jesus 160 dcbl , for a 9mm....

I was shooting shorts out of my 1901 marlin model 1897 with no hearing protection. Things were quiet until the breach blew out, my left ear rang for hours. Now always wear plugs, except when hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was in we were fitted for triple flange plugs an always had them clipped to a belt loop. They didn't help much in training, though, when a ground burst simulator went off 15 yards away :)

but you should fire off a few rounds in an enclosed space just so you have an idea how you are going to react if you, for example, have to let a few rounds fly in your house while defending yourself or family.

This is pure BS. this is like page one in a manual of "how to cause unnecessary hearing damage". Trust me, if you have to use it for SD, you won't know and won't care what the sound/blast is going to be like... your brain simply will not give a rats ass about it. Save your hearing instead of doing birdbrain stuff like firing off shots on an indoor range without earpro on.

-Mike

well gun producers could start designing guns with a suppressor already built into the gun, though they would be the size of the Glock 34, but have a barrel from the 26, if they could get the suppressor small enough to be just larger than a barrel, it would work. basically using a 3.5" Barrel , then using that extra 2inches to work as a sound dampener to a safe level.. it would be more than a BB gun, but not enough to damage your ears..

This only works in Hollywood. 2" of "can" is not nearly long enough to properly suppress a 9mm. "Hearing Safe" 9mm cans are probably as long as the G34 is. (if not longer, I think cans like the AAC EVO9 are like 7"+)

-Mike

I'd prefer "Legal" over mandatory...Would you really want to carry a suppressed pistol concealed? I prefer to keep my concealed pistol as small and comfortable as possible.

+1....

Not to mention, there are firearms like 99.9% of DA/SA revolvers which can basically never be suppressed well, outside of oddities like the Nagant.

-Mike

+1....

Not to mention, there are firearms like 99.9% of DA/SA revolvers which can basically never be suppressed well, outside of oddities like the Nagant.

-Mike

My $.02 worth. Wear the damn ear protection until you have to fire to save your life.
I have been recommended for 1 hearing aid and am borderline for the second from the 80's shooting single action .22/.22 MAG for squirrel and rabbit while in the mountains.

Wear them.

Rant off.

Take CARE of yourself.

Back when I was a kid, we used to shoot .22s all the time without any hearing protection. Unfortunately, now when I hear loud music my ears buzz! I did play a lot of rock guitar in high school too, so it was not just the shooting. But, when its gone..its gone. Why roll those dice?

Back when I was a kid, we used to shoot .22s all the time without any hearing protection. Unfortunately, now when I hear loud music my ears buzz! I did play a lot of rock guitar in high school too, so it was not just the shooting. But, when its gone..its gone. Why roll those dice?

This.

I've got tinnitus - ringing in the ears. Trust me, you don't want it. Wear your hearing protection. Once you get tinnitus, there is basically nothing they can do for it - the "treatment" for it is to basically help you ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom