Shipping ammo out of state to then pick up?

Given how many companies won't ship ammo to MA mail-order customers, I was wondering if it is legal to have them ship to another state and then drive over and pick it up? I have a LTC-A, and I'm only talking about ammo that I'm legally allowed to own. I'm not looking to try to buy anything it's illegal to have.

For example, I have friends in southern NH. Could I have a company ship the ammo to them and then I'd drive up there, pick it up from my friends, and bring it home? (I assume, however, that my friends would need a NH firearms license to legally receive the stuff?)

Or lets say the company won't ship to a third party like that. Would it be legal for my friends (again assuming they had whatever firearms license NH requires to be able to buy ammo) to order the stuff and have it shipped to themselves, and then I'd drive up there, reimburse them, and drive the ammo home?

I believe that for firearms these schemes would be highly illegal (especially the second one). But is that also true for ammo? Again, I'm not trying to get my hands on anything that MA bans -- just trying to get a better price on stuff it's legal for me to have.

If I were going to do something like this, I'm not so sure I'd post a message about it on a forum. <G>

That being said, if you're friend is legally elgible to buy ammo and you're legally eligible to buy ammo, I don't think there would be a problem. It would be much easier if you have a permit in both states, but I don't know if it's required.

Gary

It might be easier/safer/less scary if you had an FFL,too, but since there's no law against it, and nothing the AG could possibly do to intimdate a distributer from shipping to a nearby state (I'm the MassAG, and if yous'all keep shiping ammo to legal residents of NH, I'll stomp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue.), I wouldn't worry about posting yout intentions here or any place else.

Ken

Assuming you have the requsite firearms, you can do the same thing with "large capacity feeding devices", gun parts and anything else that some vendors are scared shitless to ship to MA. As long as the mags are pre-ban, you're good to go.

I think that this has been asked before and as I recall, there is one small glitch. You can order ammo to be sent to an out-of-state address, but if your billling address is within MA then, IIRC it seems that many companies will stop your order right there.

FPrice said:
I think that this has been asked before and as I recall, there is one small glitch. You can order ammo to be sent to an out-of-state address, but if your billling address is within MA then, IIRC it seems that many companies will stop your order right there.

Get a PO Box right over the border and change your CC's address to it. Problem solved!

PO Box

PO boxes cannot accept many deliveries. UPS and I'm guessing most of the other shipping companies will not ship to a PO box.[frown]

dreppucci007 said:
Get a PO Box right over the border and change your CC's address to it. Problem solved!

Since the border is some 60 miles from me, that's not the best solution I can think of.

dreppucci007 said:
[shocked] Oooooooooooooooo, that could be a problem

A better idea would be to find a good-looking female shooting buddy in a free state and go from there.

Citizens of NH only need to be of legal age to buy/possess ammo (guns too). NO licenses are needed in NH for possession/purchase, only for CCW.

Perfectly legal to buy ammo even by mail-order in MA, however the AG's threats against dealers makes them too scared to ship here. MA subjects do need an appropriate LTC/FID for possession/purchase of ammo/components/mags.

You can legally buy ammo by mail-order and have it shipped to a friend in NH, drive up and pick it up. Many dealers will NOT do this if paid by cc, due to fear of cc fraud, so they put policies in place that disallow shipping to anyplace that isn't the cc holder's billing address. No law here, just company policies.

You can order, pay by check/money order and have shipped to NH friend, or get a Boxes etc type PO Box and use it as a cc billing address and then have goods shipped to the Boxes etc for pickup later.

All these are legal means.

Cross-X said:
Is your wife hip to this little scheme?

Shsssssssssss!

Don't tell anyone but I'm trying to get her to be the good-looking female shooting buddy who lives out of state! (She desperately wants to move to the VT countryside!)

FPrice said:
Shsssssssssss!

Don't tell anyone but I'm trying to get her to be the good-looking female shooting buddy who lives out of state! (She desperately wants to move to the VT countryside!)

You sure did slither your way out of that little trap!

Cross-X said:
You sure did slither your way out of that little trap!

Darius: "No further questions your honor." [sad]

Ya'know...I keep working on my "dirty ole man" image but just when I get to the point where I think I've got it nailed some woman says, "Gee, you really are a nice guy and a good man." and I have to start all over again!

[smile]

Cross-X said:
What?? Miss out on the chance to meet Frosty's main squeeze? No way!

She kinda wonders about you also!

But then, she wonders a lot about the people whom I hang out with.

LenS said:
You can legally buy ammo by mail-order and have it shipped to a friend in NH, drive up and pick it up. Many dealers will NOT do this if paid by cc, due to fear of cc fraud, so they put policies in place that disallow shipping to anyplace that isn't the cc holder's billing address. No law here, just company policies.

It should be noted that with many CC companies, you can add other
addresses to the CC so that they are on file with the company- so if the
vendor calls the CC CS line and asks "is XYZ lane in QRZ, NH, a valid
address for this account? Then the CC person says "yes" and all is
fine and dandy. It all depends on how the vendor verifies credit
cards.... if they're too lazy, you'll obviously still run into problems.

-Mike

lagrangian said:
Given how many companies won't ship ammo to MA mail-order customers, I was wondering if it is legal to have them ship to another state and then drive over and pick it up? <snip>

Or lets say the company won't ship to a third party like that. Would it be legal for my friends (again assuming they had whatever firearms license NH requires to be able to buy ammo) to order the stuff and have it shipped to themselves, and then I'd drive up there, reimburse them, and drive the ammo home?

<snip>

I tried that with Midway for some reloading components (not ammo) that I planned to ship to a buddy in VT. I couldn't get the online form to accept a different shipping address and when I called them to ask why they said that they refused to sell bullets to anyone in MA regardless of where they were being shipped. So . . . go for Option 2 if your friends will go along. Or get a C&R FFL, which I just did (arrived yesterday), thanks to the good advice I found on this Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom