• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

selling to an FFL out of state question.

Toe Knee

NES Member
I'm in Massachusetts. I'd like to sell a Shotgun to an FFL in Maine.

Do i need to report it on the Portal and if so, how? As far as I can tell, it only allows for a State FFL #. Would the FFL's federal number go in this spot?

Or do I not even need to input the transaction. Looks like a gray area to me.

mass portal.png

I'm in Massachusetts. I'd like to sell a Shotgun to an FFL in Maine.

Do i need to report it on the Portal and if so, how? As far as I can tell, it only allows for a State FFL #. Would the FFL's federal number go in this spot?

Or do I not even need to input the transaction. Looks like a gray area to me.

View attachment 790086
Not grey at all. You have no responsibility to report it.
Just another way the system is bunk.

The eFA-10 system was designed such that you can NOT report a sale to a NON-MA FFL (which is perfectly legal to do).

The eFA-10 system was purposely designed to DISALLOW you to report inheritance from the deceased who didn't have an ACTIVE RESIDENT LTC at time of death. Yet, MGL and Fed law allow such an inheritance regardless of where in the US the person lived at time of death, or whether or not they had any active permits at that time.

The eFA-10 system was designed such that you can NOT report a sale to a NON-MA FFL (which is perfectly legal to do).

The eFA-10 system was purposely designed to DISALLOW you to report inheritance from the deceased who didn't have an ACTIVE RESIDENT LTC at time of death. Yet, MGL and Fed law allow such an inheritance regardless of where in the US the person lived at time of death, or whether or not they had any active permits at that time.
A more conspiracy minded individual might think this was on purpose. Once again, Hanlon's Razor might suffice instead.

A more conspiracy minded individual might think this was on purpose. Once again, Hanlon's Razor might suffice instead.
The person in charge of FRB was well aware of the ramifications of those webform designs. In fact I had rather pointed phone conversation with him about some of those options and ramifications of same when I went thru the options on the website.

Back
Top Bottom