shipping a gun to a factory

i have a Kel Tec p11 and I contacted the company about sending it back to them to change the spring from 10lbs to 8 lbs.
They told me to send it to them by UPS or USPS and to send the whole gun.
What is the best way to send it UPS, so it will not be stolen
Thanks
Bluenose

I think overnight air is the only option, you'll want to insure it also. I heard only licensed dealers can use USPS.

You can ship it regular UPS, insured, signature required and save a bundle. It will still get there in one piece, I have shipped a few guns in my days and have never had a problem. Mass to Florida is 3 days and not too long ago I shipped down a Sub 2000 to have some mods done to it and it was back in 10 days, work done.

You can ship it regular UPS, insured, signature required and save a bundle. It will still get there in one piece, I have shipped a few guns in my days and have never had a problem. Mass to Florida is 3 days and not too long ago I shipped down a Sub 2000 to have some mods done to it and it was back in 10 days, work done.

There may be a difference in laws regarding shipping of rifles vs pistols.

There [STRIKE]may be [/STRIKE] IS a difference in laws regarding shipping of rifles vs pistols.

FIFY

USPO laws/regs state that anyone can ship a long gun to factory.

USPO laws/regs state that ONLY DEALERS can ship handguns to factory (or anywhere else). [NOTE: C&R FFLs are NOT dealers and can't use this option.]

"Common Carriers" (i.e. UPS and FedEx DEPOTS, not stores) can ship any gun to the factory. Since UPS and FedEx have employee theft issues, they implemented "rules" that mean we get screwed (financially) on shipment of handguns by being "required" to ship by air only. This is NOT a law, but a rule of each carrier. Mfrs & distributors frequently use 2nd Day Air, so that "should" be available to commoners too, although be prepared for an argument on that one.

From personal experience:

When you go to a depot with a sealed box, pre-paid shipping label already attached and tell them it contains a gun (most of us agree that this is required by law, although some disagree), they will treat you like a professional business person and accept the shipment without BS.

If you are paying to ship the gun, create an online (free) account with the shipper and create the pre-paid shipping label. Be aware that most mfrs do NOT use their real name on the shipments to further minimize theft (e.g. S&W uses "SWEC" IIRC), so ask the mfr what to put down.

ALWAYS print out that part of the carrier's tariffs (available online) that cover shipping of firearms and bring it with you. That stops a lot of "made up rules" by clerks that are clueless.

By doing what I stated above, I have NEVER been challenged or had any problems with shipping handguns (multiple times) or long gun (once) at UPS or FedEx depots.

ETA: If you go in with an unsealed box, no pre-written shipping label, and ask them what to do . . . you will be met with all sorts of BS such as . . . you must have an FFL, you must disassemble the gun, you must ship the most expensive overnight air, etc. Message is act professional and get treated as a professional who knows what they are doing . . . act clueless and you'll be treated accordingly. [thinking]

Last edited:
I simply put down "sporting goods" on the items line, I do not inform the shipper ( always UPS ) of exact contents and at the same time I do not lie about contents. Typically, most of the guns I have shipped have been in the 700 dollar and less amounts so insurances to item description are not that far off. I also use the UPS store where I know the guy also, helps. I avoid the post office like the plague when it comes to shipping firearms.

When you go to a depot with a sealed box, pre-paid shipping label already attached and tell them it contains a gun (most of us agree that this is required by law, although some disagree), they will treat you like a professional business person and accept the shipment without BS.

That "some" includes the BATFE, at least in the case of the OP, i.e. shipping a back to the manufacturer.

batf1.jpg

batf2.jpg

Scott,

THANK YOU!

Never saw that one before and that helps close the loop for me. It's been debated on many eLists, that's what motivated my comments.

Sorry, I'm wrong. NO notification necessary if sent to mfr/dealer or C&R FFL.

It is, unfortunately, a somewhat subtly nuanced law, tainted by arbitrary common carrier policies, compounded by frequently misinformed employees, and then corrupted by incorrect practices that sometimes work (i.e., sometimes people are successful in shipping from a UPS store-front location, when in fact they're only supposed to be able to ship from a hub). Sometimes I think it's a minor miracle anyone is ever successful in shipping a firearm.

Two points I want to make: First, I can't agree more with Len's comment above about approaching this with a professional demeanor. Boxed, labeled, ready to go, etc. Treat it as no big deal, and it will become no big deal. Second, I have and highly recommend online UPS and FedEx accounts (both are free to establish). Box, pay postage and print your own label, and then either schedule a pick-up (costs about $4 extra; what's your time worth?), or walk in to the FedEx/UPS location, hand it over, and say "This one's ready to go." Easy-peazy, and I've never had a problem.

Thanks Scott.

In a few cases, I've walked in like you (and I) stated and handed it to a clerk who said "you're all set" and put it on the conveyor belt before I could get a word out of my mouth. In those cases I never got the opportunity to say "it's a gun" and just walked out. In a few others, I did tell them and they said "OK" and that was it.

People . . . THINK! When they come into Four Seasons <or substitute your dealer>, do you think they disassemble the box, check paperwork, check that the gun is disassembled, etc.? When you look and act prepared, they treat you like a business person who does this all the time and there is no grief. Thanks to Scott's BATFE letter, there is no need to tell them anything . . . it's just a "drop and go" deal.

But can the factory return ship to Mass citizen (Class A) directly?

This thread has been very helpful as I plan to ship a handgun back to factory for repair.
I setup a Fedex account, printed label, and will notify the shipper that it is a firearm as Fedex requires
http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

My question, being a Mass resident, can the factory fedex it directory back to me or does Mass require that it go through a FFL?

Thanks

If you are paying to ship the gun, create an online (free) account with the shipper and create the pre-paid shipping label.
UPS will ship you laster/inkjet compatible sticky labels (two per 8.5x11 sheet of paper) free of charge for use in printing shipping labels.

My question, being a Mass resident, can the factory fedex it directory back to me or does Mass require that it go through a FFL?
Yes, the manufacture, and generally they will. They can also ship a like replacement without use of an FFL, however, most manufacturers voluntarily choose to require an FFL rather than rely on this provision of federal law when a gun is being replaced instead of repaired.

Not to get too far off topic, but why are you shipping back to the factory for them to rework the gun, when there are a few qualified gun smiths locally who could do wonders with the trigger action of most guns for less than what it is going to cost you to ship it?

i have a Kel Tec p11 and I contacted the company about sending it back to them to change the spring from 10lbs to 8 lbs.
They told me to send it to them by UPS or USPS and to send the whole gun.
What is the best way to send it UPS, so it will not be stolen
Thanks
Bluenose

good question, i have the same gun and it needs to be repaired. they're closed for two weeks in dec. i will ship it out in jan 2011

Not to get too far off topic, but why are you shipping back to the factory for them to rework the gun, when there are a few qualified gun smiths locally who could do wonders with the trigger action of most guns for less than what it is going to cost you to ship it?

Quality control issue with a brand new handgun. Nothing to do with the trigger.

Scott,

THANK YOU!

Never saw that one before and that helps close the loop for me. It's been debated on many eLists, that's what motivated my comments.

This is HUGE if you are shipping a reasonably priced gun like a KelTec.
I had to ship my Les Baer 1911 back to them and it cost me $60. Since I wanted insurance I needed to notify them it was a gun. Which then required 2nd day air.

In contrast, I shipped a $400 S&W revolver back to the factory UPS ground and rolled the dice on insurance. It cost me about $10.

You need to be aware of the difference between the carrier's policy and Federal law. I'm happy to break their policy. It just means that if the gun is lost, you have no real recourse.
In contrast, its against the law to ship a handgun via USPS. I'd never do that.

Last edited:
Scott,

THANK YOU!

These are the only people you can ship to anyway. So its not like its a restricted list.

Quality control issue with a brand new handgun. Nothing to do with the trigger.

It doesn't read like a QC issue to me. If he is in MA it has to have a 10 pound pull from the factory doesn't it? Yes I know once the dealer sells it anything goes, but I'm surprised the factory is modifying it post sale.

"sending it back to them to change the spring from 10lbs to 8 lbs"

It doesn't read like a QC issue to me. If he is in MA it has to have a 10 pound pull from the factory doesn't it? Yes I know once the dealer sells it anything goes, but I'm surprised the factory is modifying it post sale.

"sending it back to them to change the spring from 10lbs to 8 lbs"

I think you are confusing another poster's problem with mine. My problem isn't the trigger, not yet anyway.

I've never been treated any other way at Fedex Framingham or UPS in Shrewsbury. Had to discuss the laws regarding shipping a bit at Fedex but it was cleared up fast.

Be aware that most mfrs do NOT use their real name on the shipments to further minimize theft (e.g. S&W uses "SWEC" IIRC), so ask the mfr what to put down.
But not, alas, Beretta. North American Arms is NAA Minis.

Box, pay postage and print your own label, and then either schedule a pick-up (costs about $4 extra; what's your time worth?)
Never thought about doing that. I'll have to look into this.

My question, being a Mass resident, can the factory fedex it directory back to me?

Yes, but you'll either have to have an adult there to sign for it, get it shipped to work, or pick it up at the depot if the first two options won't work for you.

If you tell them the box must be given to an employee of FedEx or UPS. That means no drop off at the local friendly UPS or fedex agent/mailboxes/shipping store. You either have to go to the depot or hand it to a driver.

Pickups are great, but I'm cheap. I know that he picks up at 4:30 at the local shipping place. So I meet the driver behind the store. It works for me and I don't have to wait for the driver at home.

Back
Top Bottom