Shipping a Firearm

Ok, I looked but apparently not well/hard enough... I sold a HANDGUN to a guy in Illinois. No, NOT Chicago. I'm going to ship to his FFL. Does it HAVE to be Next Day Air, or can it be TWO Day Air? IDGAF, but it's like $40 cheaper Second Day. Buyer is paying shipping per the ad, but $75-ish is stupid for Next Day, even with "By 8pm" being cheaper than "Early AM".

Yes, I can probably have my FFL ship to his, but I'd have to pay him something for the service, not sure how much.

It's the 22mag revolver I had listed, it'll ship in factory tupperware, packed in a box, I figure 3 pounds max.

Isn’t there a federal requirement to ship it FFL to FFL?

FWIW:
I sold one to a gent in PA a few years back and had a local shop ship it. It was the cost of the transfer plus shipping.

Bob

Hanguns must be shipped next day Fedex or UPS. This policy was put into place to curb thefts by their own employees

It would be cheaper to have a dealer ship it for you as dealers can use Prioriy Mail

Find a local FFL that will ship for you. Probably cheaper. I just had MFS ship out a couple for $25 each.

this is a good question. I've only shipped back to the factory but it has to be overnight. oddly, the guns are shipped back second day. i'm stupid, i'd just take it down to ups and ship it. if you want insurance you have to tell them what's in it and they seem to always ask is it going to a licensed dealer and tell me it has to go overnight. worst that can happen is they tell me it can't be shipped. not like they're gonna call the ups police on me.

It's more a rhetorical question than anything else. I'll most likely ship it through my local FFL at the 2nd Day rate and pay him whatever his fee is. Worth the $25 or so for him to have to deal with it, and I'm 99% certain FFL's don't have to ship Next Day.

Hanguns must be shipped next day Fedex or UPS. This policy was put into place to curb thefts by their own employees

It would be cheaper to have a dealer ship it for you as dealers can use Prioriy Mail

Actually, this should be rephrased to say "UPS and FedEx require shipment by next day air." This is UPS/FedEx policy, not federal law. Just wanted to clarify that.

Also of interest, every time I purchase a handgun from Palmetto State Armory, it's shipped to my FFL UPS Second Day Air, not Next Day. Same with Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. Not exactly places that don't know UPS rules.

To further complicate it, you need to go to a hub and make sure they’ll accept this firearm.

FFLs can ship USPS priority, so much cheaper.

Overnight or Second Day Air. Company policy, not law.

To further complicate it, you need to go to a hub and make sure they’ll accept this firearm.

FFLs can ship USPS priority, so much cheaper.
Sometimes. Where I was, the "Hub" was 40 miles, each way, plus 2-day or overnight. Local dealer was $30 plus about $15 for handguns via US Postal Service Priority, so it was about the same except that the shop was 1 mile away instead of 80 miles round trip.

I've always shipped second day air via FedEx and it hasn't been a problem yet.

And when I shipped 2 dan wesson revolvers back to DW in NY, it was shipped ground. But I think that's due to the short distance.

Actually, this should be rephrased to say "UPS and FedEx require shipment by next day air." This is UPS/FedEx policy, not federal law. Just wanted to clarify that.

Also of interest, every time I purchase a handgun from Palmetto State Armory, it's shipped to my FFL UPS Second Day Air, not Next Day. Same with Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. Not exactly places that don't know UPS rules.

Overnight or Second Day Air. Company policy, not law.

Sometimes. Where I was, the "Hub" was 40 miles, each way, plus 2-day or overnight. Local dealer was $30 plus about $15 for handguns via US Postal Service Priority, so it was about the same except that the shop was 1 mile away instead of 80 miles round trip.

There is NO law preventing you from shipping UPS/FedEx 2nd Day Air. You package it up, pre-pay online, slap the shipping label on the box, bring it to a UPS/FedEx depot, tell them it is a gun and off it goes. If you have firearms insurance thru Historical Firearms, you are covered for loss in shipping without paying UPS/FedEx.

There is NO law preventing you from shipping UPS/FedEx 2nd Day Air. You package it up, pre-pay online, slap the shipping label on the box, bring it to a UPS/FedEx depot, tell them it is a gun and off it goes. If you have firearms insurance thru Historical Firearms, you are covered for loss in shipping without paying UPS/FedEx.

Whoa. More data here, please? Are you talking about these guys?

Has anyone had an issue printing a UPS 2nd day air label and then having the customer service desk refuse to accept it for shipping?

I've never disclosed when shipping a firearm. Always "car parts" . Just mailed a glock frame last month via usps priority. Never had an issue knock on wood.

I know when I ship from a local Fedex location/hub, Fedex always asks to see a copy of my FFL and a copy of the FFL I am shipping the firearm too. Not sure if it’s there policy but that’s been my experience.

Years ago, I had an ffl send a pistol to another dealer. He used Fedex and sent it second day

When it went missing (stolen) Fedex refused to pay the insurance claim because it was not sent next day. My dealer lost $1500.

Last edited:
Years ago, I had an ffl send a pistol to another dealer. He used Fedex and sent it second day

When it went missing (stolen) Fedex refused to pay the insurance claim because it was not sent next day. My dealer lost $1500.
Refusing claims is a racket by all shippers including the USPO. Separate firearms insurance (NOT a rider on HO) usually takes care of this, ergo it covers theft in transit by any means including UPS/FedEx.

Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Unlicensed Persons
Answers to some common questions about the buying, selling, shipping, renting or loaning of firearms to an unlicensed person.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Last Reviewed August 31, 2015

Back
Top Bottom