• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheriff's officer shoots self in leg

Serious lack of proper gun handling...........[thinking]

Sheriff's officer shoots self in leg
Posted by The Star-Ledger October 23, 2006 16:05

Another Morris County (NJ) Sheriff's officer has accidentally shot himself in the leg, the second such accident in three days, officials said today.

The latest incident occurred Sunday night at the Morris County Jail in Morris Township when veteran officer Chester Kurdyla inadvertently discharged his .40 caliber Glock while putting the weapon into his holster following a prisoner transport detail, said authorities.

Kurdyla, 49, was taken to Morristown Memorial Hospital, where he is listed in good condition, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

On Friday, Morris County Sheriff's Officer Wilman Diaz, 33, accidentally shot himself in the leg in a security office near the main entrance to the county courthouse in Morristown. The accident occurred as Diaz was turning in his .40 caliber Glock for a bi-annual physical inspection of the weapon, said authorities.

Diaz also was taken to Morristown Memorial Hospital and is in good condition.

Sheriff Edward Rochford today called the incidents "totally unacceptable" and said the county prosecutor is reviewing both cases.

People can deny it until they are blue in the face, but a Glock is an accidental discharge waiting to happen.

Why do people like Glocks so much? I've never understood that. They've got those weird triggers right? With the safety on them or something?

People can deny it until they are blue in the face, but a Glock is an accidental discharge waiting to happen.

I tend to agree. I've fired them before, they feel and shoot real nice but every one of them had a very light trigger....a little too light for my liking.

Many people also have difficulty keeping their fingers off the trigger when handling guns. That combination is an accident waiting to happen.

What specifically makes the Glocks more dangerous? The trigger?

No, man, what makes Glocks so dangerous is the durned fool's finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be...

Glocks are super guns, accurate, reliable, and easy as pie to maintain, repair, and upgrade. Nothing else is as good as a Glock at being a Glock. Great stuff!

I think we need to have a group viewing of Blackhawk Down. Especially the part where the Delta Sergeant reminds Cpt. Steele where the real safety is...
I like Glocks, and own two of them. I installed NY1 trigger into Glock 23 that I carry. It gives around 8 lbs of total pressure and is safe and controllable. However, I would also carry the Glock with the default trigger of around 5.5 lbs.
As long as the 4 rules are obeyed, the only thing that is left are negligent discharges.

-A

The Glock safety mechanism is a little toggle lever in the middle of the trigger that supposedly only allows the trigger to be pulled if a finger is curled around it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock#Safety_mechanism

When I saw it for the first time, I imagined all sorts of ways that some other object besides a finger could catch on it and fire the gun. I just imagine someone pulling it out and as they bring it forward, the trigger catching on a button on their coat or a loop of a belt or something.

Any gun is capable of a negligent discharge if the person handling it does so in a negligent manner.

Anyone who does not believe this needs to sit down and think about it for a while.

we had a civilain in our town Discharge a .357 through his condo wall and into his neighbors unit. The guys claim was that he had just recieved the gun back from Smith and Wesson and they returned it to him loaded. I guess he never heard that all guns are loaded and that you always check the condition of any fire arm prior to handling. Lucky for the guy nobody was home in the next unit. The guys LTC was revoked that day by the chief. The chief told the guy to retake and pass the firearms safety class and then he would reissue him a LTC

No, man, what makes Glocks so dangerous is the durned fool's finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be...

Glocks are super guns, accurate, reliable, and easy as pie to maintain, repair, and upgrade. Nothing else is as good as a Glock at being a Glock. Great stuff!

+1000.

These aren't "AD's" they're definitely NEGLIGENT discharges. A huge difference
indeed. Granted, there were some ADs with some glocks,
due to design defects. (Dean Spier wrote an article about some G19s
slam firing under what appeared to be very weirdball conditions... as well
as the discharges during the early DEA frisbee test failures. )

Is a glock more prone to ND's? Maybe... because it has a built in
zero-tolerance policy against people who shouldn't be carrying a handgun
to begin with. People either can live with that or they can't. The
ones that can't, some of them end up sitting around blaming glocks for
-causing- the NDs in the same vein that the antis blame guns for
causing crime and death. They act as though the pistol has some
will of its own, or it has some voodoo powers inherent to it that make
the shooter put their finger on the trigger when they're not
supposed to and pull it subconsiously, or some other BS.

FWIW, I know three people directly who have had ND's. None of them
were using a Glock. Idiocy and a lack of even a modicum of firearms
safety is certainly is not brand dependent, that's for sure.

And this is coming from someone who used to be a die hard glock
hater. There was a point in my life where I refused to buy one, then
after doing some research I realized that I was just being an idiot and
denying myself halfway decent handguns. Now I own 4 of the
things. (G17L, G19, G20, G29). I can understand not buying a
Glock because it doesnt fit your hand or you don't like the way it
looks, or you shoot lead and the barrel is unsuitable, or you don't like the
way the guns damage/expand your brass, but those who think that they're
"intrinsically unsafe" are only decieving themselves. They're perfectly
as "safe" or as "dangerous" as the owner wants them to be, period.
The mindset of the owner is the sole determining factor here.

-Mike

Driver error..

Glocks don't go bang without a finger on the trigger. Usually an untrained finger, but anybody can make a mistake and I'd like to see the results of the investigation. My thought is a stray piece of equipment in the trigger guard once it cleared leather. How many rounds do you think the morris county sherriff's office provides for monthly training? And how often do you think these guys train - a couple of trips to the range before their annual qual. I don't blame them - training is very expensive and most departments don't provide for it - or they provide 50 rounds per month. That's where the negligence lies in these cases. Blaming the glock is hysterical. We should ban them, right?

As for the guy who likes the NYPD trigger - It was designed by lawyers for a legal defense. So, we pretty much know they mucked it up. If the state of Massachusetts approves it, need we say more about it.

Last edited:
So I guess that everybody here taking cheap shots at Glocks all have guns that won't fire when you pull the trigger. My 1911s won't fire unless I pull the trigger; my Beretta won't, neither will my CZ, Walther, Browning or S&Ws. I don't have a Sig or H&K, but don't recall any stories about them discharging unless the trigger is pulled. OTOH, every single one of those guns will discharge when the trigger is pulled. So I guess that in their search for "safety" from their own incompetency and carelessness, some people have decided to use one of my other model guns for their personal protection.
BlueG.jpg

You all be safe now! [wink]

Ken

I know everyone says, 'it's the brain', but you gotta admit that it is VERY easy to catch the trigger either on a piece of the holster or if your shirt is in the way during reholstering.

I think that the Glock internal action is designed to be very safe EXCEPT for the when your finger (or anything else) is on the trigger, the safety is off feature.

Per pistol type percentages of AD/ND's have got to be pointing at the GLock.

Maybe, maybe not...

It might have to do with the amount of agencies using the Glock, or overall sales that would point to a higher percentage of AD/ND. If Glocks are in 3 million holsters and brand X are in 200,000 - guess the pistol that will have more AD/ND.

I think the percentage might be a tad higher with Glocks because of the newbie factor. I've know a lot of rookie firearm owners who go with Glock as their first purchase.

It might have to do with the amount of agencies using the Glock, or overall sales that would point to a higher percentage of AD/ND. If Glocks are in 3 million holsters and brand X are in 200,000 - guess the pistol that will have more AD/ND.

Percentages take into consideration the number sampled.

For instance 1,000,000 glocks/number of AD/ND as compared to 500,000 'others'/number of AD/ND.

The resulting numbers will tell you which is more prone to AD/ND's.

My bet is the Glock figure is waaaayyy higher.

Is there research on this?

I'm more than interested to see research on AD/ND that shows Glock to be the leader. I'm sure Smith & Wesson, Colt and the rest of the firearms manufacturers who have lost procurements would pay handsomely for it.

Back
Top Bottom