An intruder is at your door

Not sure I agree with this part. Why would I want to leave a well-defended position where I have the advantage in favor of a wide-open and unpredictable environment?

Because you're not interested in going to jail, nor can you afford the legal bills.

It's sad that we'd ever need to consider any of those things, but I'd certainly take them into account. I've got a young family. If my choices are to retreat, wait for the crook to leave, and raise my kids without facing a wrongful-death lawsuit or shoot the guy (when retreat is possible) and spend decades with me and my loved ones dealing with the fallout, both legal and financial?

No-brainer.

Because you're not interested in going to jail, nor can you afford the legal bills.

It's sad that we'd ever need to consider any of those things, but I'd certainly take them into account. I've got a young family. If my choices are to retreat, wait for the crook to leave, and raise my kids without facing a wrongful-death lawsuit or shoot the guy (when retreat is possible) and spend decades with me and my loved ones dealing with the fallout, both legal and financial?

No-brainer.
Assuming you're in MA, the law does not require you to abandon your home if there's an intruder. Case law has followed this, as far as I know. Also, leaving is probably more dangerous to your family than staying - you have no idea who's outside; at least inside you know where the threat is coming from. Why even in a home defense gun if you're not going to defend your home? Just buy some running shoes and a rope ladder.

Assuming you're in MA, the law does not require you to abandon your home if there's an intruder. Case law has followed this, as far as I know. Also, leaving is probably more dangerous to your family than staying - you have no idea who's outside; at least inside you know where the threat is coming from. Why even in a home defense gun if you're not going to defend your home? Just buy some running shoes and a rope ladder.

No reason to go back and forth on this; obviously, everything is situational. It's just a difference of opinion.

My gun's to defend my life and family, not my home. Frankly, I'm going to make the choice that results in the least amount of disruption to my life, and calling 911 lets the cops get my stolen property back while I keep my LTC and my freedom. That, to me, is a highly desirable outcome.

Versus blowing some dude away when I don't have to.

Versus blowing some dude away when I don't have to.
I never suggested that.

Maybe it is situational, but personally I'm not jumping out of a second story window into the dark unknown where another bad guy might be waiting, when I can just lock the bedroom door and call 911. If the cops take too long and the armed intruder breaks down said locked bedroom door, that's the time to "blow him away".

I never suggested that.

Maybe it is situational, but personally I'm not jumping out of a second story window into the dark unknown where another bad guy might be waiting, when I can just lock the bedroom door and call 911. If the cops take too long and the armed intruder breaks down said locked bedroom door, that's the time to "blow him away".

And I never suggested that.

"When retreat is possible," I said. Retreat doesn't necessarily mean leaving the building. Sometimes, it just means not attacking.

They'll be extremely lucky if they get half way to my door from my road.
So you gonna choot sumbody for walking up the driveway? You know your AG monitors this place, right ?

That "intruder" ain't no threat. You choot somebody that not a threat you goin to jail. Your posting history gets read on court, you going to jail. That's why on - line role playing ain't smart. People say stupid things.

That's why on - line role playing ain't smart. People say stupid things.
People also troll a lot and play keyboard commandos. I'm more inclined to believe that someone posting rational stuff will behave in a rational way than I am that a keyboard commando will actually act out their "badass" fantasies.

I kinda figger once dude gets a quick look around he'll see there just ain't a whole lot to be bothered with here. Might even feel sorry enough for us that he'll leave a fitty on the kitchen table.

Thread title...."An intruder is at your door"

What door? The front door? What side of the door? Inside or outside?

It there is a trespasser in your yard he for she is not an intruder. At least not yet.

If he breaks into my house, a.k.a. home invasion, I will just use my rape whistle. Hopefully that will scare him/her away.

If that doesn't work we have a golden retriever that never lets anyone alone until he tires of a belly scratch. That should keep the intruder occupied long enough for the police to arrive.

Others have mentioned it on here many times. Security is not a singular item or tool. It is a series of preventative measures prior to it becoming confrontational.

The best thing you can do is make your house unattractive to an intruder. Give them an easier target that is not your house.

Motion activated lights the exterior of your home.
Thorny shrubs or bushed near potential window entries.
Good locks on your doors and windows.
Perhaps and animal that is very protective of the home that can alert with a bark and provide a bite if necessary.
Alarm system with signs.
Knives, firearms or other items that you can do some serious damage with if it becomes confrontational.

The biggest thing with someone being in your house when you are asleep is that you are not going to win if you are startled awake. You are already at a disadvantage.
You need something to alert and awaken you prior to an intruder getting very far into your house.

Pistol and flashlight are at arms length during the night. We have no kids in the house and no mandated storage requirements. In the morning, I simply put the pistol in the nightstand drawer.

Heard some noise outside at 11:15 a few days back. Wife was at work (RN). Thought it might be one of the kids (both out of the house, but come around). No sound of locked doors being opened, dog sedentary on the bed. Got up anyways, took a little friend in the robe's pocket. Wend downstairs - bright lights out front.

Took a peek, John Law x 2 with alley lights shining into my driveway. They both take off. Two minutes or so (time to check doors, light back yard) one's back. Gets out of the car, comes up the driveway. I crack the door before he makes the steps. In a p!ssed off tone, he says, "Do you have two kids?"

"They're both grown and gone. What's up?"

"We're looking for two kids that we think are stealing Xmas decorations. Do I have permission to check out your yard?"

Now, his arrogant tone at the start (No" good evening, sorry to bother you") probably colored my answer: "I have motion detectors and a dog. Neither went off. Nobody's there." He got in his cruiser and rolled off.

Next day, my across the street neighbor said that a couple of minutes later, the kid came out of the yard next to mine, and booked it!

Less than 30 seconds before I was down at the door.

I recall a similar thread ~2yrs ago. I think the OP wanted to know if he should put on his underwear before or after getting his firearm.

Before the police arrive is soon enough. Maybe thinking about what a naked guy with a gun might do next will scare the perp away. [banana]

I love in mass, what’s wrong with that?
Veni vidi vicci or something like that. :D
Veni, Vidi, Vici - I came, I saw, I conquered......

For love isn't it vidi, vici, veni?

Glad to see this thread resurface, it reminded me I need to start training with the colder weather cover garments. I sleep with an IWB holster in my boxers so that I'm covered under the "carried by or in control of" thing, but with the colder weather, I need to start practicing my clearing of heavy cover garments.

My wife keeps adding layers, so I'm currently at a sheet, heating blanket, comforter, blanket, possibly another blanket, and generally one of the f@ckin' cats! If I don't suffocate from the weight of all these items restraining proper chest rise, burn to death or throw my arm out trying to clear the bed cover garments, this "intruder" is toast!

Glad to see this thread resurface, it reminded me I need to start training with the colder weather cover garments.
Winter carry presents problems that are rarely discussed. I'm always puzzled by people saying they switch to bigger guns in the winter because I have no idea how they think they'll access them underneath a coat, sweater, etc. I recently figured out a good way to carry in a jacket pocket, which has its own limitations but at least my gun is easily accessible.

Back
Top Bottom