Sheriff Hodgson Says No Laws Broken as Feast Photo Goes Viral

Im also pretty sure police unions have a minimual standard...like you can show up to work with a .02 or .04 because of cough medicine or being called into work for an emergency.

He is a complete ****ing douchebag!! He isn't for law and order, he is for his way or no way. I know first hand, and no I will not provide details, and I was not in the county jail.
First couple times I'd met him in passing (work, business and he was also at a luncheon at a place on the Waterfront the day I was there), I'd thought "Hmm, seems a pretty good guy, one of us, etc"....Then I heard him on the Howie Carr show one day, and he literally sounded more like effin' Major Hochstetter from Hogan's Heroes with every other sentence out of his mouth... Then I did some more research, and talked to people who actually know him and they'll tell you (on the quiet) that with Hodgson, it's literally his way or its "zee Russian Front" for you, should you choose to "disagree viss zee Major"....

Just sayin'

So what are you proposing? We will never get enough conservative pols elected to make a difference in this State. Moving to a friendlier State is the only alternative.

Stand together!
Stop thinking it doesn't apply to me!
Get others involved in protecting everyone's 2nd Amendment rights in MA!

I'm sorry, this fight is mine and moving will not help my family still left in MA!

If Paul Revere were alive. Would you tell him to tell people to move or warn of the British that will be fought?[/QUOTE]
Stand Together? I think we've tried that and we don't have the numbers. I've been active since the early/mid 90's. We had over 4000 gun owners on the Boston Common for the GOAL rally in the 90's and it did nothing. Try to get 4000 gunowners together for a rally today. You're dreaming if you think we have any power to change the minds of the anti-gun pols and m*******s. This State is a lost cause for freedom, the leftists rule because they have the numbers and hate us and Trump worse than death.

Okay - so he shows up in uniform, open carrying a gun, and then starts drinking (the number of drinks is irrelevant)... I thought drinking on the job was a no no for the po po. I guess not.
LOL back in the day, Dad would take me to the Dot Tavern at around 11:30am every Saturday and Sunday..."for lunch"... and literally every day at least half of the patrons sitting at the bar were Boston Cops, MDC cops, MBTA cops....(plainclothes and uniform).

"Hey Dad, how come Sergeant ___ is wearing that heavy orange windbreaker when it's sunny, beautiful and ninety degrees outside??".... "Quiet, son. Finish your burger...hey Bartender, over here.. give the kid another Coke please..."
[emoji6]

Im also pretty sure police unions have a minimual standard...like you can show up to work with a .02 or .04 because of cough medicine or being called into work for an emergency.

What in the actual **** are you talking about?

Youre "pretty sure police unions have a minimual standard... like you can show up to work with a .02 or .04 because of cough medicine or being called into work for an emergency"

I would love to hear where you got your info from, but Im sure you wont provide it.

Hodgson is a ****ing idiot for having a glass of wine while openly carrying, though I am a fan of him for entertainment value, the man is not a rocket surgeon by any means.

For the double standard crowd, I fully agree, if you are in a similar situation and run into the wrong cop, you are screwed. Of course, if you find yourself in the same situation as that buffoon, and do what he did, you are just stupid.

I met the guy at the North Attleboro Shaws last year sometime, maybe longer, while he was trying to get signatures to get his ass back on the Sheriff ballot. Forget what happened but he lost that job for some reason. Seemed a bit annoyed he had to go through the misery of rubbing elbows with the common folk. Bit of a knob

for those quibbling on the "what's in the cup, can you prove it" bandwagon, he already "copped" to it.

If you aren't responsible enough to have a drink while carrying a gun you probably aren't responsible enough to be doing either of those things separately either.

bildke_t1070_hcceca354a23801db6a7477b718576bacc0236362.jpg

What the hell is an "open tag"??

[/OPENTAG]

What in the actual **** are you talking about?

Youre "pretty sure police unions have a minimual standard... like you can show up to work with a .02 or .04 because of cough medicine or being called into work for an emergency"

I would love to hear where you got your info from, but Im sure you wont provide it.

Hodgson is a ****ing idiot for having a glass of wine while openly carrying, though I am a fan of him for entertainment value, the man is not a rocket surgeon by any means.

For the double standard crowd, I fully agree, if you are in a similar situation and run into the wrong cop, you are screwed. Of course, if you find yourself in the same situation as that buffoon, and do what he did, you are just stupid.

Well first off your a dick, google it....heres the first result
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-alcohol-levels-08-OK-multiple-counties.html

Certainly an interesting situation. As others have said 40 or even 20 years ago this wouldn't have even been given a second thought. Clearly it's unwise to take any drink while in uniform or on duty but at the same time, one glass of wine while attending the feast and schmoozing with your fellow pols and the voters isn't the end of the world. If he was slamming beers or taking shots of jack it would obv be different.

Len even if he's got his LTC, would the ability to carry on the badge supersede that while on duty? IE even though most towns make officers obtain an LTC, is there any precedent for them carrying on the badge while on duty and having the LTC to cover any off-duty carry? If I'm an LEO and have my LTC also, can I carry on school grounds while not on duty?

Quickly on CUI/FUI matters I think we can agree it's important to be VERY careful in the commonwealth. I'm not the type of person who locks up every gun in the house before they crack a beer, I think responsible people can drink a limited amount and still be counted on to be safe. That said, be extremely wary of drinking while out and about if carrying. People should be clear that there is NO "legal" amount that you can drink and still carry. It's not 0.08 like a car, in the strictest sense it is NOTHING.

I used to think it was ok to have a beer but after the Verronneau decision referenced earlier (where the guy probably WAS too drunk to carry) it's clear that any LEO or DA could jam you up if they wanted. Think about it, what is one or two bud lights doing for you anyway that it's worth giving the state free reign over your a$$? Ultimately an individual decision but I say don't drink at all if you're carrying.

I didnt Google it because I thought it was so absurd that here was no way it could have been true.

I apologize for my snotty post, quite clearly I was out of line. For what its worth, my contract does not have a provision in it that allows me to show up while under the influence of alcohol.

Thank you for squaring me away, because I never would have believed it

People were really upset that there were not enough transgender bathrooms. They are really just transferring their micro-aggressions to this issue to draw attention to the bathroom plight. Seriously who listens to these left wing idiots. Same folks who support illegal sanctuary cities complain about people who LEGALLY own firearms. Go back to your world of unicorns and rainbows

Len even if he's got his LTC, would the ability to carry on the badge supersede that while on duty? IE even though most towns make officers obtain an LTC, is there any precedent for them carrying on the badge while on duty and having the LTC to cover any off-duty carry? If I'm an LEO and have my LTC also, can I carry on school grounds while not on duty?

MGL allows prosecution for those with a LTC, that same section of law seems to have no provision for prosecution for those without a LTC.

Either you have a LTC or you don't. You can't turn the LTC off while on duty and back on when off-duty. The law doesn't operate that way.

LEOs can carry on school grounds whether on or off duty, that is stipulated in the law.

I didnt Google it because I thought it was so absurd that here was no way it could have been true.

I apologize for my snotty post, quite clearly I was out of line. For what its worth, my contract does not have a provision in it that allows me to show up while under the influence of alcohol.

It really make sense when you think about it, a zero tolerance policy is unreasonable.
Pilots can have a .04

It really make sense when you think about it, a zero tolerance policy is unreasonable.
Pilots can have a .04

It does actually make sense, I agree. Early on in my career I did a stint as union president, I lasted 5 years before stepping down; the $2500 wasnt worth the 15 years or so off my life span. Cops do some stupid shit, there is no question about it. I may write a book one day lol. Contract negotiation time always added stress exponentially; weeding thru what the union felt was "fair" or "necessary" for them to do their job and then arguing with the town management on the unions behalf always made me want to kill someone. Police contracts are public record, take a look some on line and youll probably throw up.

The part of this that really shocked me was that this policy was actually spelled out and put into print, and that the lawyers for both the municipality and the union agreed with the language. That piece baffles me.

There are methods in place already for management to address a situation like this, and they dont have actual numbers/limits/tolerances attached to them. Every individual acts differently when under the influence of alcohol, so it would seem to me that both the municipality and union would have balked at an agreement to stipulate just how under the influence of alcohol you are allowed to be and still be fit for duty.

Asuming you eat, drink a lot of water, are well rested and the test is accurate.
.08 is a reasonable limit on the threshold of maybe being to drunk to drive.
After .12 your just an ******* for being behind the wheel, lots of alcoholics function quite qell at a even higher level.
IMO if the officer is good to drive hes good to carry.

Lets face it there are plenty of sober cops that shouldn't have a badge or a gun.I dont think we need to ellimate potential good ones over a glass of wine

Law doesnt say "intoxicated" says under the influence of intoxicating liquor.... i would say he needs to pay up and spend 2 years in the pen.

if one drink is going to put you past any reasonable threshold for being "under the influence" of alcohol, then I would call your doctor ASAP because your liver has given the **** up on you.

A couple of things wrt the article:

- It is wrong wrt "under the influence" . . . MGL C. 140 has NO definition of that term and the 0.08 referenced legally only applies to operating a motor vehicle (C. 90) and does not carry over to any other chapter of MGL.
- Who knows if the Sheriff has a LTC? If he doesn't and it carrying on the badge, the referenced MGL does NOT apply and he certainly would not be violating any law! Interesting possibility.
- 7 oz of wine on an empty stomach could definitely impair some people but if he also had food recently it is unlikely to cause any perceptible impairment.

Whatever, given his position, cell cameras and social media, plus considerable hatred for him, his choice of actions was unwise. However, I'm certain that if he weren't carrying but still wearing that shirt and having a drink, there still would have been outcries on social media for his head.

I stopped reading this thread at your post. Why? Because I was glad someone had chime din and given a good break down as opposed to all the people who espouse things as legal or illegal when the opposite is true.

Thanks for posting this! (I wish this forum as a whole would do some research before opening their damned yappers, it isn't hard to do).

well, in your defense, GPP, he said "police unions" whereas the actual article speaks about maybe a couple, at most.....

Law doesnt say "intoxicated" says under the influence of intoxicating liquor.... i would say he needs to pay up and spend 2 years in the pen.

My wife says I'm an intoxicating. . . . . never mind.

It's days later and I'm still not sure this is an issue or not. I know he could stand to lay off the donuts.

Back
Top Bottom