• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheeple in uniform

I had jury duty recently and rather than deal with any BS i decided not to try and check in my CCW. I go through the metal detector and I'm cleared to sit in the closet space they have set aside for all of us that were called. We get excused for an hour break, so I go smoke a cigar and get a coffe. Here is where a serious mistake was made. I re-enter the courthouse and begin to empty my pockets again, when the court officer looks at me like he is aggrivated with what I'm doing and says "Are you here for jury duty?" I reply " Yes."
He then instructs me to take my stuff and walk around the metal detector. What the hell is this guy thinking waving people in like he has x-ray vision? There was ample time for anyone in the jury pool to get a weapon while we were breaking. Then during the deliberations one of the jurors pulls out a steak knife and laughs at how they didn't know it was in their bag. I guess sheeple also come in uniform.

My wife had jury duty two weeks ago. She said their biggest concern was elecronic devices.

No Cell phones (understandable), no iPods, and no hand-held videogames allowed. [rolleyes]

They would not allow you to check any of these items, either. So she saw the sign on the door, and had to go back to the car to leave her phone and Nintendo DS. She forgot about the small Benchmade knife in her purse that I had given her last year. They let her check that. [laugh]

Last edited:
how the heck do they decide who gets jury duty in this state? I've been here almost 7.5 years. I've been summoned to jury duty 0 times. I have a friend who has been here 5 years and was summoned 3 times (he wasn't chosen any of the times so he was told his name doesn't get removed).

how the heck do they decide who gets jury duty in this state? I've been here almost 7.5 years. I've been summoned to jury duty 0 times. I have a friend who has been here 5 years and was summoned 3 times (he wasn't chosen any of the times so he was told his name doesn't get removed).

I think it depends where you live how often you get called. When I've lived in higher populated areas, I seemed to get called more. I've only been called once in the last 5 years.

I did serve on a jury once. I was 18. I think they thought I'd go easy being young, but I argued hard to find him guilty. Dirt bag was paying 12-14 year old kids to go steal stuff for him.

I'm glad I did it. It was an interesting lesson in our judicial system. I'd just assume get called for a jury rather than sit around all day for no reason.

I think it depends where you live how often you get called. When I've lived in higher populated areas, I seemed to get called more. I've only been called once in the last 5 years.

We live in the same town.... I guess one day I'll get called; probably a few days after saying "I never get called!"

Hell, I recently got called to serve on a jury and even got selected as foreman. Fun times. I hate going to Lowell.

All my immediate family live in the same city. In the same period of time I have been called once, my mother twice, my brother once, my sister-in-law never has been, and my father has been called 5 times. He out numbers the rest of us combined.

Yeah when I lived closer to Boston I got called twice, but was unable to do so due to other obligations at the time, now out here in the western part of the state I've gotten nothing.

Hell, I recently got called to serve on a jury and even got selected as foreman. Fun times. I hate going to Lowell.

Me too. [smile]

I've been called twice, once from Fitchburg and once from Winchendon. Served both times. Acquitted both times. First was a medical malpractice fishing expedition, second was sexual assault accusation by a prisoner versus a guard.

My wife has been called twice as well, served neither time. She figured out a legal way to reduce the likelihood of even having to go in: Reschedule to a holiday week, like the week of Thanksgiving. Nobody wants to start a trial at those times.

I could be wrong but I thought that jury duty rolls were made up from voter registrations. I've also heard, but cannot confirm, that if you have a history of showing up for jury duty you are more likely to be called again.

Last edited:
It's a complete crap shoot. The first few years we lived here, both my wife and I got called roughly every 3-4 years. Then we went through a couple of years when they tried to call us every 6 months or so. Neither of us have been called for the past 10-12 years. Absolutely no reasonable basis for the differences; we both have our drivers licenses, voter registration, my LTC, her professional license, ...

Ken

Suffolk County: In case you haven't noticed, the jury pool in Suffolk County doesn't hold the same caliber of people that other counties have. I think the IQ's match the MCAS scores in Boston Public Schools.
Like clock works-every three years, I get the call. And since I graduated from college, I get picked to sit. I hate it!
Best Regards.

Last edited:
From the Trial Juror's Handbook:

. How was I selected for juror service?

A. You were selected at random by a computer from population lists. Each year, each city and town compiles a list of all of its residents. Jurors are selected from these lists. Some people think that if they do not register to vote they will not be selected as a juror. This is wrong. Any person who is a resident of a city or town (and who meets certain other basic requirements such as being over eighteen years of age and able to speak and understand the English language) may be selected as a juror, even if not registered to vote.

Pete, you don't get a census form every year from your town? I get one from Marlboro annually. I started replying to it when the idiots in the Marlboro Town Hall started putting return addresses on the form. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom