• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Service Grade Garands

If they are from VFW's where they get turned into drain pipes, they WILL NOT be labeled as service grade !

If they are classed as service grade, they are service grade !

Read the definitions of their classifications, for crying out loud !

The VFW in my town sold all its rifles this summer. Figuring they would be garbage from firing salutes once a year and not cleaned - and having just received a 1903 from the CMP - I didn't even bother to check them out.

BIG mistake. The rifles I've seen from those offered, bought by guys at my club, were absolutely pristine, just like the 1903 recently posted on this forum. Crisp, bright rifling and excellent stocks with like-new parkerizing, for $450 to $600, depending upon whether you bought a P-17, 1903 or '03A3.

If the guns are garbage, they will be rated and sold as such by the CMP. Trust the ratings.

Just wanted to clear this "drain pipe" thing up. A while back I made a post in a seperate thread about an Enfield someone on another forum got from CMP that was advertised as SG and it turned out had a black "sewer pipe" bore. I saw the pictures posted and was shocked at what he got for a rifle. Externally it looked great, inside was a horror show. He tried scrubbing for days with no luck and eventually contacted the CMP. I can't remember the end result but I think he wound up sending it back and after inspection they credited his card for the lower grade diference.
Evidently what happened was a good number of the VFW Enfields were either overlooked and not checked for bore condition or someone passed them off as SG standards. Quite a few people got rusted bores when they bought SG rifles and from what I heard the CMP did make right by the screw up in either accepting the return or crediting them the diference. Now heres where it gets really screwy. Some people that ordered the lower grades got near mint rifles.[rolleyes] Luck of the draw I guess.
My point when I made the post in this thread was I hope they weren't graded the same as the VFW Enfields. Not saying CMP wouldn't correct the problem if you got a lousy rifle and wasn't as advertised, the M1s could be gems left over from overseas returns, or even VFW rifles well cleaned after use. We'll have to wait and see.

Sent all my paperwork and CC info in awhile back...

Question... does the ODCMP send a confirmation that they recieved my packet and payment, or will I just get an email/letter in 90-120 days that my rifle is ready to be shipped?

Sent all my paperwork and CC info in awhile back...

Question... does the ODCMP send a confirmation that they recieved my packet and payment, or will I just get an email/letter in 90-120 days that my rifle is ready to be shipped?

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If you get your customer # you can check your order status on the e-store web site.

You might want to email them soon. My order went out on the 3rd of Nov. It has already been charged to my card so I asked them to let me know what my ID number was and when my rifle would ship. I was told it should be out by some time next week. Which is weird, because the CMP site said 90-120 days.

I may have jumped ahead of myself, Did you order one recently Dirtypack and just recieved or was this just your experience.

Back
Top Bottom