Serial Number Issue

mferruccio

NES Member
I sent my 2nd Gen G17 to Glock to have the slide refinished, and worn parts replaced. It just came back and looks great! However, I now have a Gen 4 frame with a different serial number. The paperwork listed the frame as having been replaced. I called and was told that my frame was cracked and so was replaced. I know the frame is, "the gun." Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would think a letter from Glock (if it lists the new serial number) would suffice. Just keep it with your original FA-10 form.

No problem, just submit a FA-10 with the new serial number. Check the "registration" box, and complete the form, leaving the seller section blank.

This replacement is allowed under federal law. This is actually good news (assuming you are in MA), since the common understanding prior to this was that Glock was not doing so out of an abundance of caution.

I believe you are required to file an FA-10 with the "registration" box checked.

If the new serial number consists of "G" followed by digits, it's a frame originally made for replacement purposes. If not, it's one Glock scavenged from another gun.

Good to see Glock is replacing parts that they were not to thrilled about doing so in the past.

Good to see Glock is replacing parts that they were not to thrilled about doing so in the past.

I hope this is an indication of a change in policy, not something that slipped through the cracks this one time.

No problem, just submit a FA-10 with the new serial number. Check the "registration" box, and complete the form, leaving the seller section blank.

What about the old serial number? Is a second FA10 required for getting rid of that serial number? The FA10 doesn't have a "destroyed" or "returned to Mfr." box. None of "loss", "theft" or "personal transfer" seem appropriate for this case.

I don't think there is much you can do about getting rid of a gun that wasn't sold to someone in MA.

An example would be if you sold a gun to someone out of state.

There is no mechanism by which to remove firearms from the CHSB database. Every firearm you have ever acquired, on which a FA-10 was submitted, will stay on your "record" forever (as well as every subsequent in-state transferee's "record"). Submit the new FA-10 with "registration" checked, complete the form, leaving the "seller" section blank. Staple your copy of the new FA-10 to your original FA-10 for your records.

Last edited:
What about the old serial number? Is a second FA10 required for getting rid of that serial number? The FA10 doesn't have a "destroyed" or "returned to Mfr." box. None of "loss", "theft" or "personal transfer" seem appropriate for this case.

There is no way to expunge data from the state's database. It's there forever. It's not worth worrying about, seeing how Glock likely destroyed the old frame anyways.

-Mike

I don't think there is much you can do about getting rid of a gun that wasn't sold to someone in MA.

An example would be if you sold a gun to someone out of state.

Oh, of course. I forgot that the "buyer/purchaser" section doesn't have a space for an FFL number, or business name, Duh.. Thanks.

It's a good thing we have this registration process, that way we can know where all the guns are! No, wait... that doesn't work...

What about the old serial number?
Just report it as "lost or stolen".

Wait, I don't think that passed that law here yet.

When they do, there will be a form.

If you don't know where it is, it is lost.

Really bad, wrong advice. Because there is such a law and there is such a form.

Yeah, but can you answer this... Is that really a new firearm under MGL? Or isn't it? (cue Jeopardy theme).

Since there is no "controlling part" standard specified in MGL, this is obviously a debatable issue. What legally constitutes a % of replaced parts for a firearm in MA to be considered to be a "new" firearm?

-Mike

There is no mechanism by which to remove firearms from the CHSB database. Every firearm you have ever acquired, on which a FA-10 was submitted, will stay on your "record" forever (as well as every subsequent in-state transferee's "record"). Submit the new FA-10 with "registration" checked, complete the form, leaving the "seller" section blank. Staple your copy of the new FA-10 to your original FA-10 for your records.

Yes, because MA records transactions and not firearms "registrations".

Yeah, but can you answer this... Is that really a new firearm under MGL? Or isn't it? (cue Jeopardy theme).

Since there is no "controlling part" standard specified in MGL, this is obviously a debatable issue. What legally constitutes a % of replaced parts for a firearm in MA to be considered to be a "new" firearm?

-Mike

Exactly. I wouldn't do a damn thing other than shoot the newly REPAIRED pistol.

huh? is this a joke?
I thought it was funny.

But anyway, If you've sent a handgun frame away, and it doesn't come back, what harm would there be in getting it recorded on a "lost" form?

Why doesn't the manufacturer cut the old frame in 3 pieces, and send them back?

Now, the question is:

What happens if the manufacturer repairs the replaced frame and re-issues it?

What happens if the manufacturer doesn't repair the replaced frame and it is "lost" by the manufacturer, reassembled into a new firearms and used in a crime, then traced back to the original owner?

Personally, I would contact Glock and request that at least a portion of the frame containing the serial number be returned such that I can be assured that the serial number that is attached to my name in the MA database can not be used in a crime and traced back to me. OR a letter specifically stating the the replaced frame was destroyed and replaced with the new frame such that if any of the above occur, I have documentation to cover myself.

Even in New Hampshire where there shouldn't be a record that attaches me to that firearm, I would want the records to cover myself in the event that it comes back to haunt me.

I am aware of at least 1 select fire M-16 rifle that was reported as "lost" in Vietnam, reported as recovered in a raid in NYC, reported as destroyed by the NYPD, then confiscated by a New Hampshire police department and the lower reciever was then turned over to the BATFE in exchange for an AR-15 lower reciever. After the BATFE received it, I can not verify what happen to it.

Now, the question is:

What happens if the manufacturer repairs the replaced frame and re-issues it?

They never will, it's not worth worrying about. The whole reason Glock does this is because the existing frame was broken in some way. There are no such thing as
"repaired" Glock frames. When they blow up or whatever or they are cracked they get destroyed. Glock would never "re issue" a broken frame- it's too much of a
liability.

-Mike

Last edited:
If your gen2 upper fits the Glock lower you just got- you received a gen3 lower.

Gen4 lowers do not work with 2nd or 3rd gen uppers.

You do not have a gen4 lower.

I'm going to revive this thread because the title works, but my question is unrelated to the OP's.

What are one's options when the serial number on a gun has been nearly polished away? Say it's just barely there and you wanted to get it re-engraved, and for discussion purposes you can somehow confirm what the correct serial number is, in addition to the barely visible number on the gun. Can the original manufacturer do it? Is there a type of FFL or similar license that permits a shop or smith to do it? What are the options?

I'm going to revive this thread because the title works, but my question is unrelated to the OP's.

What are one's options when the serial number on a gun has been nearly polished away? Say it's just barely there and you wanted to get it re-engraved, and for discussion purposes you can somehow confirm what the correct serial number is, in addition to the barely visible number on the gun. Can the original manufacturer do it? Is there a type of FFL or similar license that permits a shop or smith to do it? What are the options?

Personally, I'd send it back to the original manufacturer. They made it, they've got the logbooks of when it was made and confirm with the most accuracy.

ETA: looks like drumenigma has settled it. [thumbsup]

Last edited:
and for discussion purposes you can somehow confirm what the correct serial number is
Glock puts a matrix of dots under the ejector housing (in response to the MA hidden serial number CMR). Glock will translate these to a serial number if a photo is submitted from an LE agency.

I'm having trouble imagining what this might apply to.

How does a gun get so much wear at the serial number that it's hard to read, but the gun itself is still in good shape?

And... why would you want to get it re-engraved?

I'm having trouble imagining what this might apply to.

How does a gun get so much wear at the serial number that it's hard to read, but the gun itself is still in good shape?

And... why would you want to get it re-engraved?

It happens apparently, especially on shiny guns that didn't have the number stamped in that well to begin with.

The reason for getting it re-engraved would be to avoid having a gun in your possession that isn't far from looking like it has a defaced serial number.

I would check with BATFE. I seem to recall that they at some time in the distant past addressed this issue, but I don't recall what their answer was.

Back
Top Bottom