Selling a home... that's owned by a gun nut.

A guy I work with is selling his house. He has just one gun and removed it during his open house and when the realtor had walk thrus. This got me wondering what the hell I'd do if/when I ever need to sell mine. I have gun paraphernalia all over the place, books, magazines, reloading supplies and equipment, holsters, safes, etc. Has anyone had to deal with this? Much of my stuff is in locked closets/rooms but it still seems like it would suck big time.

I had a neighbor in texas who was a board member of Safari International...he had the entire house decorated with stuffed wild animals...after the first open house they couldn't get anyone to come anywhere near it. not sure if it ever sold, but I know it wouldn't have sold with those wall hangings...and that was in Tejas!

I had that issue to deal with when I sold my last house. I packed all of my surplus gear into bug blue tupperware like tubs and packed as many firearms into cases that I could. I then covered the gun cabinet with some sheets (all of this was located in the basement) and told the realtor that what was in the cabinet was of no concern to a prospective buyer, as it would all be gone if and wen they bought the house. My feeling was that it didn't make sense to lose a sale because someone may be anti.

The fact that a gun nut was selling the house was a significant factor in deciding to buy my current house. The huge gun safe in the den and half the basement devoted to reloading made me realize New Hampshire was the place to be. After our offer was accepted and we were doing the home inspection I sat down with the owner and he gave me a run down of the local gun clubs. Later I got the full story as to why the house was for sale. The previous owner wanted to become an FFL and went in front of the zoning board to get a waiver. Despite having gone to the neighbors preemptively and answering all their questions and getting their verbal OK to apply for the waiver a neighbor changed their mind at the hearing and the board said no. The next day the for sale sign was in front of the house.

-Nat

If it helps to sell the house faster and/or get more money, hide your stuff in the attic or wherever. Principals are great and all that but don't be stupid.

Personally, I wouldn't want people coming through my house and seeing that I own just in case they talk to someone else.

I talked to a realtor friend about this.

The real problem is not will and "anti be turned off?" (they may). The real issue is someone comes in, looks around, goes to work the next day talking about this house over on main street with loads of guns and ammo, and joe sh!$forbrains in the next cube gets the idea he'd like some of those guns.

You're right, nobody would be stupid enough to break in if he new the homeowner had guns.

I have read numerous cases of houses that were broken into after having repairmen, contractors, etc. at the house. Many of these people are exactly stupid - and it isn't always the person who actually came to the house - but maybe the buddy he talks to down at the bar afterwards - who decides that the house is a good target. Unless you are going to be home 24/7 there will come a time that they will find to get into your house.

The prudent thing is just not let anybody know what is in the house - a safe tucked in the corner is pretty nondescript - but a big safe - with gun magazines spread thruout the house would be a nice big red flag to me if I was looking to steal firearms.

I have read numerous cases of houses that were broken into after having repairmen, contractors, etc. at the house. Many of these people are exactly stupid - and it isn't always the person who actually came to the house - but maybe the buddy he talks to down at the bar afterwards - who decides that the house is a good target. Unless you are going to be home 24/7 there will come a time that they will find to get into your house.

The prudent thing is just not let anybody know what is in the house - a safe tucked in the corner is pretty nondescript - but a big safe - with gun magazines spread thruout the house would be a nice big red flag to me if I was looking to steal firearms.

*ding*

It must suck living in a place where one has to worry about that.

Yes,it does.

Jose,you can't tell me you are comfortable letting complete strangers (repairmen,cableguy etc..)in your house and feel great about them knowing you have guns worth thousands of dollars.

Personally,the less people that know I have guns the better.I'm not worried about someone telling thier friends about the "automatic baby machine gun killing arsenal "they just seen,I'm worried about my shit getting jacked when I'm not home.

My safe is heavy,but if they already know about it they will find a way to get it out.

Don't leave anything of value or controversy lying around when selling your house (or allowing repair people in)! [i.e. don't leave your wallet, money, jewelry sitting on top of a bureau either!]

Theft during an open house or afterwards is not unheard of.

And contrary to popular belief, the RE Agents don't "dog" those viewing the house from room to room. People "wander" by themselves, or couples may split off looking at things that interest them vs. spouse/SO.

When Laura and I were looking for a house our realtor took us to one that we didn't buy, but particularly stood out in my mind. The place had a huge basement and it was full of gun safes, reloading equipment and all the accessories that go along with both. The realtor was so embarrassed that he kept apologizing and stating that he was going to talk to the owner and make sure he cleaned up the basement so that potential buyers wouldn't know. The basement actually made the guy very nervous. Me on the other hand, I wanted to meet the guy. The place was awesome!

Selling a house

Try to clear out everything that is not nailed down. Stereos, TVS, Computers, Cash, Jeweraly, guns etc..

Even if you have to rent a storage locker for a short time it will be worth it.

Your object is to Sell the house. You want to do this Fast and get the best return. This does not me the highest dollar.

1) Do not advertise the house until you. Clear it out, paint the interior white , get rid of stinky old Cats and other crap the buyers dont want. Donate everything you dont need want or have not touched for years to the Salvation Army.

2) Buyers dont care about your nicknacks

3) Clean out the Celler!

4) Price it to sell. Have your real estate agent show you Comparable listings that SOLD and PRICE IT TO SELL.

5) Dont leave anything of value laying around as there are a lot of theift that go to open houses just to case the joint.

Anything less and your just wasting time.

I sold a house down in Mass that I had built a custom walk in closet 16X 20 in the Master Bedroom. It had a hidden gun closet in the room that you had to push on the wall panel and magnetic latches opened the door which had a 12 long gun rack and safe behind it I wonder if the new owners like it?

Good heavens! What ARE you guys afraid of?

Do you ever have anything positive, helfpul or interesting to post? Congratufrickinlations, you don't live in MA. [rolleyes] Yeah we're just a bunch of lily-livered peons cowering for the man. [rolleyes] We should all move to Ohio so that we can be as awesome as you...

If YOU want to try to sell your house, while simultaneously advertising to any schmuck who wanders in off the streets that "I have a nice little "arsenal" free for the taking, just wait across the street until I leave for work," then good for you. [angry]

I on the other hand think that when people you don't know personally are going to be entering your home, the less advertising the better. You never know what sort of person they are, who they're going to say something to, and what the repercussions will be. Me, I'd rather keep my guns to myself. Thank you very much.

NE Charters has the right idea. Guns are just one of many things to remove or hide when selling a house for your best return on investment. Ideally you want to remove ALL personal belongings (especially photos) so the people looking can imagine all their stuff in the house. This is not a time to be stingy. Rent a POD. Most people should remove at least 25% of their stuff. Some furniture is best; bedrooms look small empty. Basements and garages should be completely empty. Your best chance at selling is the first week on the market so be ready to move!

It's nothing personal--you're buying a piece of property. The buyer and seller don't have to like each other.

BTW, a popular place for open house theft is the bathroom: prescription drugs in the medicine cabinet.

I on the other hand think that when people you don't know personally are going to be entering your home, the less advertising the better. You never know what sort of person they are, who they're going to say something to, and what the repercussions will be. Me, I'd rather keep my guns to myself. Thank you very much.

That about sums it up for me too!

I am a real estate agent and gun owner, so take it from me:

Do not have an open house.

It is extremely rare that a house sells as a result of an open house and they are a security risk. The true purpose of an open house is for real estate agents to find future buyers, not for your house but for other homes that may be listed now or in the future.

Your guns should be out of sight and locked up. The less people know, the better. You should also only allow pre-approved buyers with no home sale contigency or a house that is already under agreement to view your home.

There are only four main factors that going into selling a house. They are:

Price - Price it to sell. We are in a declining market. You must be ahead of the falling prices if you want to sell for top dollar.

Incentive - Make sure your listing agent is compensating buyer's agents an average or preferrably higher co-broke. The listing agent should be paying the buyer's agent at least 1/2 or more of the total commission

Exposure - This is advertising on the internet. People find homes on the internet. PERIOD.

Accessibility - Your house needs to be ready to show with 30 minutes notice. No exceptions.

If you do all this your home will sell quickly and for the best price, even in this down market.

It is extremely rare that a house sells as a result of an open house and they are a security risk.

That's an extremely broad statement that certainly isn't true for all sales. It varies greatly by location and price range. Most properties can be adequately prepared so that security concerns can be mitigated.

Last edited:
Good heavens! What ARE you guys afraid of?

Afraid that we might not get as good a price as we might be able to get. My wife and I are definitely planning on selling our place here in a few years. The first thing we're going to do is get absolutely everything that says "us" out of the place, so that potential buyers can visualize themselves and their stuff there. All our clothes, all the stuff in the closets and basement will be out, as will be a lot of the furniture (like most people, we've got too damn much "stuff"). The more money we get, the more guns I can afford to buy. That sort of thing should even make sense to someone in Ohio. [wink]

Ken (whose father grew up in Cleveland)

Do you ever have anything positive, helfpul or interesting to post? Congratufrickinlations, you don't live in MA. [rolleyes] Yeah we're just a bunch of lily-livered peons cowering for the man. [rolleyes] We should all move to Ohio so that we can be as awesome as you....

DOH!!!!

Jose.... Are there drugs (i.e. Meth and or crack) in Ohio? We both know the answer to that question. Well then, guns are like currency and security for drug deals and generally in the criminal world. Yeah our laws here are strict (I can think of other words but I'll pass) but if you don't think that criminals would like your guns for use/status/barter then you're living in a pipe dream. Do society a favor, use common sense and keep your guns secure wherever you are.

NT

That's an extremely broad statement that certainly isn't true for all sales. It varies greatly by location and price range. Most properties can be adequately prepared so that security concerns can be mitigated.

It is not really a broad statement. It is a broad phenomenon. People do not buy houses in 2007 the way they did in 1980 or even 1990 or 2000. Open houses nationally have a less than 2% success rate according to the National Association of Realtors.

Of the less than 2% of open houses that result in a sale there is no way of knowing how many of the open house attendees would have just made an appointment to see the house anyway.

The typical people you generally get an open house are nosey neighbors, people who just happen to be driving by, and people who are thinking of buying sometime in the future or who have a house to sell and can't buy anything until they sell their house. Occasionally you'll get criminals looking to steal things or case the house for a future robbery.

The bottom line is that open houses are of limited benefit and certainly not worth the risk or any security concerns and frankly it is not worth the seller's time to lose the use of their house for two hours on a Sunday. Serious buyers make appointments to see houses. Serious buyers write offers that result in meeting at the closing table. When selling your home you want to deal with serious buyers who will pay fair market value for your home and result in a successful closing.

Do you ever have anything positive, helfpul or interesting to post? Congratufrickinlations, you don't live in MA. [rolleyes] Yeah we're just a bunch of lily-livered peons cowering for the man. [rolleyes] We should all move to Ohio so that we can be as awesome as you...

If YOU want to try to sell your house, while simultaneously advertising to any schmuck who wanders in off the streets that "I have a nice little "arsenal" free for the taking, just wait across the street until I leave for work," then good for you. [angry]

from my short stint here on the forums, I have to say unequivocally, no, he doesnt have anything positive to add to the conversation.

If thats the attitude in Ohio, I dont want to live there in the first place!![rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom