Selling a firearm in Maine

Now that I live in Maine, how do you sell a firearm person to person? I've been told as long as they have an ID, such as a drivers license.
One dealer told me he would never sell a handgun person to person. Then I was told it can be transferred by a dealer so there would be a 4473 record.
Want to have the correct info for the future, if needed. Thanks

You both must be Maine residents, but that is federal law, not state. Other than that, there are no restrictions.

That being said, these days I'd take a picture of their drivers license just to cover myself.
Thank you

It's unlawful to knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person, see also 17-A M.R.S.A. § 554-B.
One dealer told me he would never sell a handgun person to person. Then I was told it can be transferred by a dealer so there would be a 4473 record.
Did the dealer offer to do the 4473 transfer out of the kindness of his heart, or out of rent-seeking self-interest?

You both must be Maine residents, but that is federal law, not state. Other than that, there are no restrictions.

That being said, these days I'd take a picture of their drivers license just to cover myself.
The gun shop owner said to me " I'd never sell a handgun person to person". His reasoning is understandable as there is no 4473 nor any state requirement in Maine. As he said, if that firearm is used unlawfully, the first person the Feds come to is YOU, the seller, since you are the last person on the 4473 records. A copy of the buyers drivers license is the only record a seller would have. Being that I bought and sold quite a few guns in Mass, I think I have to be very particular of what I buy here in Maine and plan on keeping them.

Did you do the same thing as me on the move and get about $300 worth of mags?

Hehe, ya. I have ran into very few people with Maine's CC license. I'd still suggest asking for that or DL if F2F.

I moved here right as con carry was coming into affect, and didn't get free enough to take the course. Did one transfer, and the guy was going to bail since I didn't have the Maine permit. I showed my MA LTCa and his eyes went wide and he laughed (since he thought they were near impossible to get. ) Transfer went okay, pretty good deal on an older babied Glock. It still had the original lube on the slide.

Interesting how the times affect different people differently.

"These days" no one's getting a picture of my driver's license, or any other ID. See it? Sure. Keep it (in terms of a picture)? Nope.

Did you do the same thing as me on the move and get about $300 worth of mags?

Hehe, ya. I have ran into very few people with Maine's CC license. I'd still suggest asking for that or DL if F2F.

I moved here right as con carry was coming into affect, and didn't get free enough to take the course. Did one transfer, and the guy was going to bail since I didn't have the Maine permit. I showed my MA LTCa and his eyes went wide and he laughed (since he thought they were near impossible to get. ) Transfer went okay, pretty good deal on an older babied Glock. It still had the original lube on the slide.
No mags,
What course are you talking about? I happen to get my CC here.

Now that I live in Maine, how do you sell a firearm person to person? I've been told as long as they have an ID, such as a drivers license.
Want to have the correct info for the future, if needed. Thanks

Of course a dealer would never do that since it's illegal if it's in his bound book. A dealer can still sell his personal firearms as an individual any way he chooses provided the buyer knows the difference. Sounds like this character needs to move his business to Mass. so there is complete control and a record of how all firearms change ownership. [rolleyes]

"These days" no one's getting a picture of my driver's license, or any other ID. See it? Sure. Keep it (in terms of a picture)? Nope.

I'm with Scott on this one. I'll show my documents but no recording of info or images. There is nothing I need that badly and will walk away.

Of course a dealer would never do that since it's illegal if it's in his bound book. A dealer can still sell his personal firearms as an individual any way he chooses provided the buyer knows the difference. Sounds like this character needs to move his business to Mass. so there is complete control and a record of how all firearms change ownership. [rolleyes]
He was talking about his personal firearms.

So, I probably should re-phrase my original question to; What proof should you require when selling a firearm FTF in Maine besides a drivers license?

So, I probably should re-phrase my original question to; What proof should you require when selling a firearm FTF in Maine besides a drivers license?
None. Only DL.

Don't be paranoid. There are a lot of States with similar laws. Even in MA our system works like sh*t, guaranteed most stuff you sold still shows under your name. Did the popo ever arrest you for that?

Nothing else needed unless your Mass roots run deep. The buyer has to be a Maine resident. It’s up to them to determine the legality of their own actions.

It's unlawful to knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person, see also 17-A M.R.S.A. § 554-B.

Did the dealer offer to do the 4473 transfer out of the kindness of his heart, or out of rent-seeking self-interest?
the key word here is knowingly. In Maine are you required to prove that a person is not prohibited, or do you just take their word for it ?

I’ve done F2F with plenty of people I don’t ‘know’ well. Wanna see my DL? Nah, you got NH plates. You’re not a felon, you got money, we good.

the key word here is knowingly. In Maine are you required to prove that a person is not prohibited, or do you just take their word for it ?
No need to prove. I’d say trust your instincts. A working stiff can pretty well sniff out another working stiff right quickly. I would not sell to anyone with a backwards baseball hat, etc.

Tell us how does a private individual determine if another is a prohibited person? 😂

As mentioned prior one should go with one’s gut feelings.

Tons of stuff for sale in Uncle Henry’s. Dats where the homies gather. 😂

Tell us how does a private individual determine if another is a prohibited person? 😂

Are you meeting in the parking lot behind the 7-11 after dark?

Are they paying in lots of small denomination bills and the ones all smell kind of fishy?

Do they have the resident crack ho with them?

Do they have all their teeth? Oh yah, you are in ME. Forget that one 🤣

Are you meeting in the parking lot behind the 7-11 after dark?

Are they paying in lots of small denomination bills and the ones all smell kind of fishy?

Do they have the resident crack ho with them?

Do they have all their teeth? Oh yah, you are in ME. Forget that one 🤣
It’s called tooth paste for a reason.

If you know the person is a criminal, you dont sell.

Random John Smith that you never met before, you dont know if he is a criminal so you can sell.

While I do understand and appreciate the caution(I really do), I personally wouldn't abide by that.

See a DL it to ensure you at least look like a resident, sure. In NH, see a P&R to meet that requirement for handguns, sure. Keep any record, no way.

Neither the feds or most states require any sort of record or ID proof for FTF transactions.

Sure, you'll be contacted and questioned-possibly several times. 'I sold it IAW with fed and state laws for cash. Don't know who as I don't have his name or number anymore, but he was a resident of this state.'

*I've sold a few firearms FTF in a few states.

Maine law is mute on this. The only use of "knowingly" in Maine state gun laws is in regards to sale to a person under age 18.

There have been efforts to amend NH and federal law to change the current standard, "knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person (is a prohibited person)" as found in 18 U.S.C. § 922.

Being that I bought and sold quite a few guns in Mass, I think I have to be very particular of what I buy here in Maine and plan on keeping them.
Federal law (and law in most US states) is not nearly as messed up as Massachusetts law.

The gun shop owner said to me " I'd never sell a handgun person to person". His reasoning is understandable as there is no 4473 nor any state requirement in Maine. As he said, if that firearm is used unlawfully, the first person the Feds come to is YOU, the seller, since you are the last person on the 4473 records. A copy of the buyers drivers license is the only record a seller would have.
That's not how tracing works, 4473s aren't (supposed to be) used to update a serial number database.
When tracing, the feds walk the serial # forward from Manufacturer->Distributor->FFL -> first buyer -> (etc) , ...

So "the first person the Feds come to is YOU, the seller" is still the case, the FFL transfer just gives you a better story than "Sold it to some dude in a parking lot for cash"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom