Selling a firearm in Maine

So, I probably should re-phrase my original question to; What proof should you require when selling a firearm FTF in Maine besides a drivers license?
Sure. You could also make a bill of sale that they sign. This would be for proof you sold it and no longer own it.

In NH it's similar but some interpretations of the law include a pistol being a higher bar where you ought to see a permit or transfer via FFL - IF you don't know the person. Define know. Exactly.

Personally, and I rarely sell a gun.

If i actually know you, we are good to go.

If I dont know you but you got a permit, cool, let me line that up with a NH driver's license and we are done. I might write down your name and town, to be thrown in a shoebox with other gun receipts.

For a rifle, dont know you, no permit - I want to see a similar gun that you have access to. My policy - I want to see this isn't your first or only bought in desperation. Then drivers license, take your name/town, good to go..

For a pistol, don't know you, no permit, I'm gonna err on the side of FFL cause NH law institutes it.

If you seem wierd in a way that concerns me, or something makes me think you may be going the private sale route because it's your only option - I'm out - FFLs use the same discretion.

Worth mentioning too - even as a buyer you are supposed to check the sellers residency. Isn't a terrible idea to grab their name for your shoebox as well, ie if say down the road you learn the gun was stolen - at least you have a direction to send authorities in that's elsewhere.

Admitidly though I've also met on some day when it was pouring, some corner store parking lot, checked merchandise, handed cash, shook hands, and that was it.

For a rifle, dont know you, no permit - I want to see a similar gun that you have access to. My policy - I want to see this isn't your first or only bought in desperation. Then drivers license, take your name/town, good to go..
[rofl] [rofl]

If anyone asked me to show them another rifle I own in order to sell me their rifle, I would tell them to screw.

Glad I only like nice guns that are very hard to find used, I would not put up with some of this junk and order online instead.

[rofl] [rofl]

If anyone asked me to show them another rifle I own in order to sell me their rifle, I would tell them to screw.

Glad I only like nice guns that are very hard to find used, I would not put up with some of this junk and order online instead.

Why?

I don't have a large enough poll size to say most people don't mind, but is a simple and well taken request in my experience.

I get all huffy when someone wants to go the FFL route over a rifle/shotgun, so I understand getting wound up over shit, but that's an intrusive pain IMO. It is easy enough to throw a savage shotgun into the trunk on my way to meet a guy if that makes them feel better - a whole lot less intrusive than say taking a picture of their drivers license too.

For a rifle, dont know you, no permit - I want to see a similar gun that you have access to. My policy - I want to see this isn't your first or only bought in desperation.
You have to admit that request could seem weird in a way that concerns me, like a rip-off artist who wants to end the encounter with both the buyer's full wallet and also an extra gun.

Meeting a stranger in a New Hampshire parking lot for a $,$$$ long-arm purchase? Of course I'm bringing a gun along (and a friend with one of their own), but assuming the transaction goes well you aren't going to see either.

Why?

I don't have a large enough poll size to say most people don't mind, but is a simple and well taken request in my experience.

I get all huffy when someone wants to go the FFL route over a rifle/shotgun, so I understand getting wound up over shit, but that's an intrusive pain IMO. It is easy enough to throw a savage shotgun into the trunk on my way to meet a guy if that makes them feel better - a whole lot less intrusive than say taking a picture of their drivers license too.
I would think it is weird if YOU are selling a rifle and ask me to bring a rifle to the sale. Like, are you trying to rob me? ... big red flag for me and I would call off the purchase.

I would think it is weird if YOU are selling a rifle and ask me to bring a rifle to the sale. Like, are you trying to rob me? ... big red flag for me and I would call off the purchase.

You have to admit that request could seem weird in a way that concerns me, like a rip-off artist who wants to end the encounter with both the buyer's full wallet and also an extra gun.

Meeting a stranger in a New Hampshire parking lot for a $,$$$ long-arm purchase? Of course I'm bringing a gun along (and a friend with one of their own), but assuming the transaction goes well you aren't going to see either.

It's real simple, I do not want to sell you your first or only gun that potentially otherwise you can't get. You could have a permit and you don't, you probably don't want to do this via FFL (if you do that's cool), then that's another option that makes me comfortable.

Back before Brady, none of this would have been a concern. Unfortunately cause background checks, people who don't pass them can turn to private sale.

You guys are paranoid in a way. Worried over say a $200 shotgun being stolen when there may be $1000 cash involved already. No I wouldn't bring a $2500 rifle for that purpose either, no sense in it.

And no I otherwise don't bring a loaded gun to buy one private sale - you want my $800, isn't worth playing who has the fastest draw over, take it. That's peanuts, we will see if you can outrun the radio.
And it wouldn't bother me if someone did show up packing, but I don’t want to make a guy jumpy if he spots it. For us carrying is normal, the same can't always be said for the potential Fudd selling you that say Remington 870.

As he said, if that firearm is used unlawfully, the first person the Feds come to is YOU, the seller, since you are the last person on the 4473 records.
There's only one instance where a quick trace leads to you: if you're the original buyer of a NIB firearm.

If you bought a used firearm from a dealer, they have a 4473, but there's almost no way to track that forward from manufacturer to distributor to dealer to original purchaser to one (or more) subsequent FFLs who have handled that firearm, then to you.

If there has ever been a private transfer anywhere in the chain, it's pretty well broken.

He was talking about his personal firearms.
If a dealer wants to sell his personal firearms, he can do the same as anyone else. He can also transfer them into his A&D log, then have the buyer complete a 4473 and run NICS without any cost to himself or the buyer.

He won't do the same for free for you, however.

How long outta MA do you think it takes to kick the pants shitting mentality? 😉
It's not just MA. TV police shows have many casual gun owners thinking their guns are registered. They also think police can pick up a piece of brass and within 30 minutes identify the owner.

I've known people in TX/AR/OK/LA who will swear up and down that their guns are legally registered. In 43 states, including those, there is no such thing as gun registration.

You both must be Maine residents, but that is federal law, not state. Other than that, there are no restrictions.

That being said, these days I'd take a picture of their drivers license just to cover myself.
Holy lord! I got roasted on here for saying you should take info for a free state firearm sale to CYA.

Right.

Because a criminal who can't buy a gun legally couldn't possibly already have another gun.

Sure a person with a record or RO may have a gun already, but then they aren't buying another just to do something rash as they already would have done it.

Real criminals don't need to bother shopping private sales, showing an ID and having someone take their name. If someone does its not a criminal - probably just a guy with a MA DUI who can't buy a gun but otherwise flies under the radar in NH and is perfectly responsible/sane.

It's the emotionally charged moron who I worry about, the sort who never wanted a gun until his wife slapped him with an RO and is at home right now with her new lover etc etc

Holy lord! I got roasted on here for saying you should take info for a free state firearm sale to CYA.
They can hold their thumb over their name and address if they want; I don't care. As long as I can take pic or write down the license number.
If a cop comes pounding at my door and asks about a gun I bought that was used in a crime, I want a person that I can say "you better go talk to this guy, because that's who I sold it to". I'll usually tell people that right up front before a sale. I've never had anybody back out because of it.

They can hold their thumb over their name and address if they want; I don't care. As long as I can take pic or write down the license number.
If a cop comes pounding at my door and asks about a gun I bought that was used in a crime, I want a person that I can say "you better go talk to this guy, because that's who I sold it to". I'll usually tell people that right up front before a sale. I've never had anybody back out because of it.
One of those things you need to disclose up front, I guess. I'd never buy or sell under those terms, but I live by a simple rule: "There's always another gun."

I shake my head at the "cop comes pounding at my door and asking about a gun I bought that was used in a crime" scenarios, as if it happens all the time. Or ever.

One of those things you need to disclose up front, I guess. I'd never buy or sell under those terms, but I live by a simple rule: "There's always another gun."

I shake my head at the "cop comes pounding at my door and asking about a gun I bought that was used in a crime" scenarios, as if it happens all the time. Or ever.
If anyone is worried about the PoPo, the solution is simple ... don't sell your guns.

Even law abiding people are fine until something happens and they break the law.

So play it safe.

Shake your head all you want, but it DID happen to me. Luckily I knew the guys name. The next time I saw him I asked him "WTF?". He said he sold it to someone else. I believe him, but I'm not putting myself on LE radar for anybody.

To any buyers; don't like my terms, don't buy it. I don't care.

Shake your head all you want, but it DID happen to me. Luckily I knew the guys name. The next time I saw him I asked him "WTF?". He said he sold it to someone else. I believe him, but I'm not putting myself on LE radar for anybody.

For the sake of argument...

How do you prove you really sold it to that guy?

PoPo goes to the guys house and says "I dont know WTF that guy is smoking, I never bought a gun from him".

There are ways of getting someone's driver license pic that don't involve a gun purchase.

Anyway, if you disclose you want a pic before the sale, that is totally fine with me.

I agree. Buyer and seller have to be happy. That's why I said terms like that need to be disclosed beforehand. Everyone agrees, everyone's happy. Life goes on.

The problem comes up when people show up for the exchange and one guy suddenly says "Oh, and I'll be taking a picture of your ID."

I was told I was just a paranoid ma**h*** or massified.........for even worrying about a cop coming to my house asking about a sale.

Like you I CYA. Im in MA for now....so CYA is kinda automatic here with the fa-10.

Last edited:

Yeah....never happens......ATF never would go door to door. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

For a rifle, dont know you, no permit - I want to see a similar gun that you have access to. My policy - I want to see this isn't your first or only bought in desperation.
What I would do is ask the buyer to bring all kinds of whacky stuff that has nothing to do with firearms. A mason jar full of mustard, a dog collar for a very small dog, a canned good at least 4 years past it's expiration date. Stuff like that. If they comply, I know they are desperate and that is my cue to walk away.

What I would do is ask the buyer to bring all kinds of whacky stuff that has nothing to do with firearms. A mason jar full of mustard, a dog collar for a very small dog, a canned good at least 4 years past it's expiration date. Stuff like that. If they comply, I know they are desperate and that is my cue to walk away.

Rubber chicken too

Back
Top Bottom