Selling a firearm in Maine

Yeah....never happens......ATF never would go door to door. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Right. And if you don't have a copy of someone's ID, they'll...what? Go away, that's what.

"Sorry, bud. I sold it." You having a copy of someone's DL doesn't change shit.

But, as I said, everybody gets to do their own thing.

Last edited:
Yet another Fun Fact about interstate transfers: residency matters, but location does not.

If two Mainers happen to meet up in NH and want to trade cash for a gun while in NH, it's perfectly legal for them to do so. That's not an interstate transfer and doesn't require an FFL's involvement, so long as both of them are residents of the same state.

Yet another Fun Fact about interstate transfers: residency matters, but location does not.

If two Mainers happen to meet up in NH and want to trade cash for a gun while in NH, it's perfectly legal for them to do so. That's not an interstate transfer and doesn't require an FFL's involvement, so long as both of them are residents of the same state.

I'd also guess, like how it's supposed to work at an FFL (and may or may not), residency is not actually tied to your driver's license.

I'd also guess, like how it's supposed to work at an FFL (and may or may not), residency is not actually tied to your driver's license.
At any FFL transaction, you must provide documents that provide evidence of your actual physical residence.

Your P.O. box won't do, for instance. If you're not a traditional resident (RV'er, FT boater, homeless, whatever), this can be problematic.

I get all huffy when someone wants to go the FFL route over a rifle/shotgun, so I understand getting wound up over shit, but that's an intrusive pain IMO. It is easy enough to throw a savage shotgun into the trunk on my way to meet a guy if that makes them feel better - a whole lot less intrusive than say taking a picture of their drivers license too.

Lol someone wanting to go to a dealer sucks but you will subject them to weird shit like that? Playing show and tell with someone I dont know is exponentially weirder/red flaggy than asking to use a dealer. Especially if the seller is willing to pay for a transfer.

Like you I CYA. Im in MA for now....so CYA is kinda automatic here with the fa-10.
LMAO ... no it isn't.

Many guns you sold still show you as the owner. Guaranteed.

If you are amazing at record keeping then it can CYA.

LMAO ... no it isn't.

Basically the only way anyone in MA is safe from this horrible phantasm scourge of LE "asking where a gun went" [rofl]

is if they only buy new guns and never, ever sell anything.

A lot of us here are well past the point of "worrying" about any of that database crap though.

Lol someone wanting to go to a dealer sucks but you will subject them to weird shit like that? Playing show and tell with someone I dont know is exponentially weirder/red flaggy than asking to use a dealer. Especially if the seller is willing to pay for a transfer.

This is under the circumstances of a NH person who doesn't bother getting a (stupid easy but admittedly not very helpful) permit.

We nitpick here, but hearing it on the phone probably sounds a whole lot different. "I just want to make sure this isn't your first gun bought out of an act of desperation".

You want to go to an FFL or play show and tell? Is up to you. I guess some guys here might choose FFL (fine with me too) or would just walk. To each his own.

This is under the circumstances of a NH person who doesn't bother getting a (stupid easy but admittedly not very helpful) permit.

We nitpick here, but hearing it on the phone probably sounds a whole lot different. "I just want to make sure this isn't your first gun bought out of an act of desperation".

You want to go to an FFL or play show and tell? Is up to you. I guess some guys here might choose FFL (fine with me too) or would just walk. To each his own.

Unless I was going to use that encounter as a chance to educate the seller, I wouldn't touch that weirdo with a 10' pole.

Unless I was going to use that encounter as a chance to educate the seller, I wouldn't touch that weirdo with a 10' pole.

Well I'll say not everyone seems to hold those beliefs - for some anyway, it's better than filling out a form, potentially waiting, and paying $25. The way the world is today, everyone being blamed, I'm not selling a gun to a person without a permit, FFL, or something that helps prove they aren't just a gun away from being stupid.

There isn't anything to educate anyone about, it's the sellers discretion to begin with. Even at an FFL, they probably wouldn't ask you to prove anything beyond the standard legal stuff, but they can decline to do business over "feel good" stuff without explanation.

On the flip side, if someone said "no I don't have a permit", "no I won't go through an FFL", and "no I won't show you I'm already a gun owner" I'm gonna assume there's something up as well. It wouldn't make any sense to me.

LMAO ... no it isn't.

I keep records of any FA-10 FTF transfers outgoing. Of which you can do 4 sales a year. Most years I do at most 1 or 2.

You don't have to be amazing to throw 1-2 pieces of paper in file in a years time.

Whether they are still listed in my name after I've done the FA-10 to transfer them is not my problem, I have a piece of paper that says they aren't with a transaction number on it and someone to send them to (if they have a legal warrant signed by a judge)

And that fxcking screwy FA-10 database wouldn't stand up in a court of law ever.....its a fxcking joke and easily discredited because of myriad of discrepancies, like outbound trades out of state that never get registered into the system.

Other outbound transfers that a dealer does......I worry little about as I beleive the firearm is logged into the dealers inbound book as part of the transaction. Essentially that would take it out of my name and the sale/transfer now be dealer to new person.

And like most people said.....no warrant.......go screw.

Last edited:
Right. And if you don't have a copy of someone's ID, they'll...what? Go away, that's what.

"Sorry, bud. I sold it." You having a copy of someone's DL doesn't change shit.

But, as I said, everybody gets to do their own thing.
True. But what if hey did have a warrant? No one talks about that situation...........having a quick easy way to send them on their way is preferred.

True. But what if hey did have a warrant? No one talks about that situation...........having a quick easy way to send them on their way is preferred.
Let the discovery process do it’s job maybe?
I sold 2 .22’s in 88 or 9. A Victor and a Citation 2. Both on a blue card. Now what?

[rofl] [rofl]

If anyone asked me to show them another rifle I own in order to sell me their rifle, I would tell them to screw.

Glad I only like nice guns that are very hard to find used, I would not put up with some of this junk and order online instead.

This actually sounds a little like what they do at one of the local public rent-a-lane ranges near me <cough> AFS <cough>. If you want to rent a gun you either need to bring your own gun or a bring a friend. They don't want someone going there to off themselves & figure if you already have a gun you don't need to use one of theirs. And still, every 3-4 years someone offs themselves at that range, usually w/ a friend there.

Let the discovery process do it’s job maybe?
I sold 2 .22’s in 88 or 9. A Victor and a Citation 2. Both on a blue card. Now what?
It is almost certainly in the database. Only ~30K blue cards were destroyed. All the rest were entered into the system by BATFE under contract to FRB at that time. I received that info direct from the FRB Director at that time (although his title was different back then).

Back
Top Bottom