• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking AWB Clarification

Hey guys,

So, we all know that the whole Pre-Ban deal is still in effect, meaning we can purchase, posses and use "Assault Rifles" that were manufactured before the original Federal AWB of 1994.

Then when that lapsed, MA passed a state version of the law which we still have to this day, which up until recently, allowed for a kind of "neutered" version of the so-called "Assault Weapon". For these, you could purchase, posses and use. You could buy and sell through private party or through a dealer no problem.

QUESTION

With the new edicts from the AG, Healey, what does that mean for us? Am I only allowed to purchase those original Pre-Ban AW's or can I also do that for all those "Assault Weapons" that were legal under the MA AWB as well?

I have the impression that we are now only allowed to purchase the original pre-bans. I can't tell though, because they make these laws so freakin convoluted. It should be simple for us to follow so we can be within the bounds of the law.

So, in short -- What am I allowed to buy right now in MA?

You can buy any pre-94 rifle in “assault” configuration.

Anything post-94 must conform to the AWB in terms of feature count.

Maura’s edict is a meaningless scare tactic with zero legal standing.

Legality of possession of any particular rifle aside, the answer to what you are allowed to buy right now is whatever anyone will sell you.

Browse the classifieds to see what people are willing to sell you in private sales.
Walk into Four Seasons or Mass Firearms to see what rifles dealers are still willing to transfer (selling their own new stock involves a transfer). Or check websites. Spoiler alert: in 5.56 with a pistol grip (assuming you're looking at something assault-weapon-y) it's a Tavor, SCAR, ACR, BREN 805, or pre-1994 anything. For anything post-94, they won't let you walk out without the muzzle device pinned and welded and any collapsible/folding stock pinned. From my limited experience the muzzle device is pinned and welded and the folding stock's pinned on everything as part of in processing, and maybe the adjustable stock is pinned or unpinned but either way they will usually just let you adjust it in-store and pin it for you before you leave, which allows you at least one chance at customization.

FYI, careful because you can buy something that might not be legal to own i.e. somebody’s built post-9/94 AR w/ collapsible stock and bayo lug. Pre 94 you are good with those features but you still need to be aware of 922r compliance for some guns (some people do not care about this one though).

Back
Top Bottom