Really dumb question about MA AWB, Glocks, and threaded barrels...

VitalDude

NES Member
Okay, before I get flamed, I searched through the forums and could not get a definitive answer on this question...

So, if someone in MA were to own a Glock handgun and would like to add a threaded barrel and comp, would that violate the AWB?

I understand it's only one of the "evil features" on the surface, however the AWB also describes "semi automatic version of automatic firearms" on the list of evil features for pistols.

Lest we forget, the Glock 18....

See where I'm going with this?

Okay, before I get flamed, I searched through the forums and could not get a definitive answer on this question...

So, if someone in MA were to own a Glock handgun and would like to add a threaded barrel and comp, would that violate the AWB?

I understand it's only one of the "evil features" on the surface, however the AWB also describes "semi automatic version of automatic firearms" on the list of evil features for pistols.

Lest we forget, the Glock 18....

See where I'm going with this?
Threaded barrel is an evil feature - you need two.
Glock only has one if it has a threaded barrel

A Glock 18 is a full auto version of a semi-auto Glock 17. Not the other way around.

You’re thinking about this way too hard.
Guess I never thought of it that way. I just wonder if the state of MA would agree with that assessment…

I know, crazy to think….

I’m particularly known for compensating….
To perhaps allieviate your fears. I bought a Walther P22 from Four Seasons in 2002. They came with the option of 2 barrels and had a threaded barrel IIRC (I sold it many years ago). They were perfectly legal then, and they are perfectly legal today. For whatever reason, the only ban on threaded barrels is for long guns, not pistols/revolvers.

To perhaps allieviate your fears. I bought a Walther P22 from Four Seasons in 2002. They came with the option of 2 barrels and had a threaded barrel IIRC (I sold it many years ago). They were perfectly legal then, and they are perfectly legal today. For whatever reason, the only ban on threaded barrels is for long guns, not pistols/revolvers.
Oh for sure, I am just trying to figure out whether a G17/G19 would be considered a “semi automatic version of a fully automatic” because of the G18

Oh for sure, I am just trying to figure out whether a G17/G19 would be considered a “semi automatic version of a fully automatic” because of the G18
Stop.

First, the G18 derives from the G17. See that selector? That was added to make the G18. It wasn't removed to make the 17/19.
iu

Second, the G19 is not derived from either. It has a different frame and slide. You cannot put a G19 slide on a G17 frame, nor vice versa.

Stop.

First, the G18 derives from the G17. See that selector? That was added to make the G18. It wasn't removed to make the 17/19.
iu

Second, the G19 is not derived from either. It has a different frame and slide. You cannot put a G19 slide on a G17 frame, nor vice versa.
Appreciate you and the explanation. Thank you!

Aside from overthinking it. I would argue that a “compensator” isn’t any of these “
  • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor

Defining characteristics of a compensator outside of reducing muzzle flip:

“This occurs because the sound, flash, pressure waves, and lead loaded smoke plume normally projected away from the shooter are now partially redirected outward to the side or sometimes at partially backward angles toward the shooter or gun crew.”

So it may enhance flash, noise, sure as hell isn’t a safety shroud, wouldn’t be used as a handgrip and if not pinned, doesn’t extend barrel length at least under federal definition.

Aside from overthinking it. I would argue that a “compensator” isn’t any of these “
  • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor

Defining characteristics of a compensator outside of reducing muzzle flip:

“This occurs because the sound, flash, pressure waves, and lead loaded smoke plume normally projected away from the shooter are now partially redirected outward to the side or sometimes at partially backward angles toward the shooter or gun crew.”

So it may enhance flash, noise, sure as hell isn’t a safety shroud, wouldn’t be used as a handgrip and if not pinned, doesn’t extend barrel length at least under federal definition.
Unless the muzzle device is pinned in place, the barrel is still legally threaded.

I like the Radian Afterburner + Ramjet for pistol comps. Easy to install and remove for cleaning, it’s not semi-permanently attached like other compensators. It’s also not threaded in anyway, so it doesn’t count as an evil feature if you care about that sort of thing. Makes it legal pretty much all across the country in case you end up having to move to another more anti-2A state where that might be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom