Seeing double; how to cope with cross-eye dominance?

So this is a years-in-the-making and somewhat shameful story, but I am curious about peoples' experiences, particularly those knowledgeable about eyesight and/or training, etc.

Back when I first started shooting pistols I used a Weaver stance and my left eye--I am left-handed and shoot long guns with my left eye. At no point during my LTC course or the one or two post-LTC courses did the issue of eye dominance come up. It wasn't until a year or so after I had been shooting that my eye doctor discussed eye dominance, and at that point I found out I was right-eye dominant.

I can't remember precisely why, but it was ingrained in me that you had to use your dominant eye when shooting. So, I switched to isosceles stance and holding slightly right biased and using my right eye.

At that time I was still pretty new to pistol shooting, so I didn't really notice anything better/worse outcome-wise, but I stuck with that from then on. As I gained experience, I found I could get a consistent grouping, but it was always a decent amount to the right of the bullseye. Using the shot charts as a left-handed person, I assumed this was "too little trigger finger."

I know that "low and left" is a common problem beginner right-handers often see, but for me it was never "low," just "left" (or right in my case). Still, I was convinced it had to be my grip.

So, for about two years I've endlessly fiddled with my grip, figuring I must be flinching or having improper trigger control, something, but I could never pin it down. No matter how many dryfire drills, ball & dummy, etc., the sights wouldn't move through trigger pull in practice, but I'd end up hitting right of point of aim.

It got to the point--and this is where some of the shame comes in--where I was tempted to alter the sights on my pistols, and/or I would deliberately hold left when firing (I shot my last two USPSA matches holding far left, which I think really hurt me). Trying to knock down a string of steel plates when you're basically holding on the one to its left and guessing how far to hold is not a recipe for precision.

I was starting to think that it was just the nature of being cross-eye dominant and it got pretty discouraging.

Fast forward to last weekend, I'm at the range with my father. He tries out my Shadow 2 for the first time and is knocking over the steel plates with no problem. He owns no pistols and only shoots them when let him try mine. I take my turn and I'm doing my usual "hold left" with mixed results.
In the end, he says, "looks like you need more practice." This was somewhat disappointing since I've been shooting once or twice a week for a while now to try to improve for USPSA. However, as many of you can probably attest or imagine, having to "guess" where to hold made shooting accurately somewhat of a challenge. I would often leave the range wondering "how I could be this bad."

So, today, I decided to try something else. I went back to my left eye. To my surprise, I don't have to hold left anymore. Just a pure hold over the target. I proceeded to hit the seven steel plates at 75 ft with eight shots. I spent the rest of the practice session using only my left eye, and it worked really well. I think I'm going back to left eye after these past years.

I'm a bit ashamed that I never bothered to change eyes back. In hindsight it appears so stupid and something very basic I should have tried. And though today was just one day (albeit a dramatic change), I'm hopeful for the future.

Does anyone have suggestions on why using my dominant eye would manifest in this way? I assumed that since, with both eyes open, my right eye would "take control" that I'd have a better outcome shooting using my dominant eye. My only guess is that my modified stance, using the left hand with the right eye, caused my point of aim to somehow veer to the right.

Is there any hope in shooting both eyes open given the above? I'm worried that my right eye dominance will cause my sight pictures to get all messed up if I don't close my right eye.

For those who are cross-eye dominant, what is your solution? I have somewhat tempered excitement now that I feel like I'll finally be able to make progress. Still, I would like to know the cause and what other impediments I could expect moving forward.

for shooting long guns it is best to shoot from the side of the master eye.
I have known very good clay shooters that were right handed but shot left because their left eye was master.

Did you try pointing at something quickly with both eyes open and then closing one eye at a time to find out which eye is master?

sometimes, with action pistol, if the target is not real close i will half close my non dominant eye. although im not sure that this is in the Text books, but it works for me.

G

I have had the same issue for years. Got to the point I don't enjoy shooting rifle because I can hit anything beyond 100 yards. Very difficult to shoot a rifle tucked into your right shoulder and have to aim with your left eye. You have to lean your head over or move the rifle to the left to the point its not comfortable.
It is easier with pistol as you can adjust your stance to shift to the other eye.
I notice that my shooting is very consistent left of bulls eye and a touch low. I have always assumed I was flinching so I purchased a clip on laser to do some dry fire drills. I don't see the laser dip at all. I am now convinced it is due to my crappy eyesight..
I simply aim a little high right now and I do pretty good. Got to live with your limitations I guess.

Lots of options.

Get an RDS.

Close one eye.

Partially close your dominant eye to allow your non dominant eye to focus.

Cant your head slightly and use your dominant eye.

Just stop sucking.

for shooting long guns it is best to shoot from the side of the master eye.
I have known very good clay shooters that were right handed but shot left because their left eye was master.

Did you try pointing at something quickly with both eyes open and then closing one eye at a time to find out which eye is master?

sometimes, with action pistol, if the target is not real close i will half close my non dominant eye. although im not sure that this is in the Text books, but it works for me.

G
Yeah with my eye doctor we did the dominance test several times and I'm definitely right-eye dominant. If I do the "hand triangle" at an object in the distance, right eye always wins.

When I first found out the eye dominance thing I tried shooting rifle right handed with rather poor results. I've just stuck with my left eye for that. I think I'm gonna try going left-eye for pistols now, too, even though it's the weaker eye. My thinking is that with pistols I must not have the pistol aligned properly to use the right eye. I've had kind of an awkward stance. I tried the head cant, different stances, etc.

My main worry is both eyes open...I am not sure I'm going to be able to do it with pistols, but I guess it would take more practice. I do it sometimes with rifles currently. Oh well.

Original post is TL so I DR but for my cross eye dominance (right handed left eye dom) I have a small piece of frosted scotch tape in a specific spot on the left lens of my shooting glasses. If it’s just skeet the piece can be small because the presentation should always be the same. For USPSA where I need to be able to get a sight picture from different body and target positions I use a slightly larger piece. Easy, quick, cheap, and effective.

It just takes practice. I am right handed. Left eye dominant. I shoot pistol right handed and rifle left handed. I know several people that shoot like this. In the end I think it makes you a more competent shooter. Don't get discouraged over it.

Some people put a piece of tape on their glasses to block enough of their dominant eye so that their non dominant will take over.

I do not do this. With practice you can learn to shoot both eyes open without the tape.

You bring the gun over so that it is more lined up with your dominant eye. You can turn your head a little if it helps but eventually you won't have to. I tend to look more at the target than I do my sights. Repetition, repetition, repetition. You eventually get used to having the gun where you want it and kind of just see the front sight. It's almost like using a red dot.

Pm me if you have any questions.

I have the same issue as OP, left-hand and right-eye dominant.
I quickly learned to shoot rifle from my right shoulder and using my dominant hand (left) and dominant eye (right) to align the sights; works pretty well for me...

With handgun I’m shooting left-handed and aim a bit to the left with iron-sights. With red-dot I calibrated to aim dead center.

I haven’t been able to figure out the geometry of cross-dominance to show the offset between point of aim and point of impact.
Can someone point me to such drawing if one exists?

Red dot solved that problem for me. I’m all
Sorts of messed up when it comes to my eye dominance. I can’t hit anything with a pistol using either hand or eye with irons. I am naturally ambidextrous and the red dot saved me.

My brother is weakly right handed, and strongly left eyed.

He shoots left handed better than right handed.

If your eye dominance is strong, it'll be a challenge to re-train your brain to do something weird, and it won't be natural when you need it.

Are you sure you're right eye dominant? Your testing suggests you're not.

Another thing to try is a red-dot, then you just look at the target and put the dot on it.

I don't know how you guys shoot with both eyes open and are able to focus on the front sight and line up the rear notch? Other than shooting moving targets with shotgun and bird shot , well your focus is on the target for that.
At least you know about eye Dom and are recognising your problems.
Growing up I was not allowed to shoot from the "wrong side" (left) .
I can shoot either hand but need to tape off lens or close one eye. I have since moved completely to the left.

So this is a years-in-the-making and somewhat shameful story, but I am curious about peoples' experiences, particularly those knowledgeable about eyesight and/or training, etc.

Back when I first started shooting pistols I used a Weaver stance and my left eye--I am left-handed and shoot long guns with my left eye. At no point during my LTC course or the one or two post-LTC courses did the issue of eye dominance come up. It wasn't until a year or so after I had been shooting that my eye doctor discussed eye dominance, and at that point I found out I was right-eye dominant.

I can't remember precisely why, but it was ingrained in me that you had to use your dominant eye when shooting. So, I switched to isosceles stance and holding slightly right biased and using my right eye.

At that time I was still pretty new to pistol shooting, so I didn't really notice anything better/worse outcome-wise, but I stuck with that from then on. As I gained experience, I found I could get a consistent grouping, but it was always a decent amount to the right of the bullseye. Using the shot charts as a left-handed person, I assumed this was "too little trigger finger."

I know that "low and left" is a common problem beginner right-handers often see, but for me it was never "low," just "left" (or right in my case). Still, I was convinced it had to be my grip.

So, for about two years I've endlessly fiddled with my grip, figuring I must be flinching or having improper trigger control, something, but I could never pin it down. No matter how many dryfire drills, ball & dummy, etc., the sights wouldn't move through trigger pull in practice, but I'd end up hitting right of point of aim.

It got to the point--and this is where some of the shame comes in--where I was tempted to alter the sights on my pistols, and/or I would deliberately hold left when firing (I shot my last two USPSA matches holding far left, which I think really hurt me). Trying to knock down a string of steel plates when you're basically holding on the one to its left and guessing how far to hold is not a recipe for precision.

I was starting to think that it was just the nature of being cross-eye dominant and it got pretty discouraging.

Fast forward to last weekend, I'm at the range with my father. He tries out my Shadow 2 for the first time and is knocking over the steel plates with no problem. He owns no pistols and only shoots them when let him try mine. I take my turn and I'm doing my usual "hold left" with mixed results.
In the end, he says, "looks like you need more practice." This was somewhat disappointing since I've been shooting once or twice a week for a while now to try to improve for USPSA. However, as many of you can probably attest or imagine, having to "guess" where to hold made shooting accurately somewhat of a challenge. I would often leave the range wondering "how I could be this bad."

So, today, I decided to try something else. I went back to my left eye. To my surprise, I don't have to hold left anymore. Just a pure hold over the target. I proceeded to hit the seven steel plates at 75 ft with eight shots. I spent the rest of the practice session using only my left eye, and it worked really well. I think I'm going back to left eye after these past years.

I'm a bit ashamed that I never bothered to change eyes back. In hindsight it appears so stupid and something very basic I should have tried. And though today was just one day (albeit a dramatic change), I'm hopeful for the future.

Does anyone have suggestions on why using my dominant eye would manifest in this way? I assumed that since, with both eyes open, my right eye would "take control" that I'd have a better outcome shooting using my dominant eye. My only guess is that my modified stance, using the left hand with the right eye, caused my point of aim to somehow veer to the right.

Is there any hope in shooting both eyes open given the above? I'm worried that my right eye dominance will cause my sight pictures to get all messed up if I don't close my right eye.

For those who are cross-eye dominant, what is your solution? I have somewhat tempered excitement now that I feel like I'll finally be able to make progress. Still, I would like to know the cause and what other impediments I could expect moving forward.
Which way gives you the most consistent groups.
If you have adjustable sights , adjust them. Holding over /under or left and right only introduces more problems and to much thinking.
Also does your eye Dr. Know your shooting needs? Are you using Rx when you shoot?

Go see an eye doctor that understands shooter's needs. Ideally your dominant eye will focus on your pistol's front sight post. If you need glasses or are getting old enough to be presbyopic (unable to focus close up) then a glasses prescription might help you out. If your eye doc doesn't shoot, then measure the distance from your eye to the front sight post and give that to your doctor.

I’m right handed - left eye dominant. I’ve been battling this for years.
Over the years I’ve asked maybe 20 different people what to do and I’ve got 20 different answers.
So what ever you find works best for you isnthe way to go.

I'm right hand left eye, shoot long guns left and pistols right. I've learned how to pick up on the "correct" double image when both eyes are open for pistol. For those who are cross dominant, it's the one closest horizontally to your strong hand. It takes practice but can be done.
I'll be getting a set of shooting glasses at my next eye exam. I've been wearing glasses for the first time this past year and I'm curious to see if they'll effect my eye dominance. (I haven't shot with my glasses yet since I'm not that blind that I need them outside the office)

Which way gives you the most consistent groups.
If you have adjustable sights , adjust them. Holding over /under or left and right only introduces more problems and to much thinking.
Also does your eye Dr. Know your shooting needs? Are you using Rx when you shoot?
Both eyes give consistent groups, but the "weak" eye gets them correctly aligned, at least based on yesterday. The "dominant" right eye consistently puts them horizontal to the right. That's the part that's been a bit strange for me. I would have expected it to be "wow, I've been shooting with my weak eye and now using my strong eye has fixed this." But it's been the reverse.

My doc sort of knows about shooting. I've been wearing contact lenses for 14 years now. At this point it's just nice to have some optimism that using the "wrong" eye appears to have fixed a problem I've been attributing to grip and trigger control for years. I think tomorrow if it works out I'll do another session with my bad eye and see what I get. The change yesterday was only to align/use my left eye.

I really think it was the wonky stance of holding it left handed but aiming with the right eye has been the problem. It looks like this:
20181018_091849.jpg

Holding the left hand at an angle like that to align with the right eye I think causes this, if I don't take special care to properly align both arms:
20181018_092117.jpg

My theory is that since traditionally your grip points the pistol in line with your arm, since my arm is inherently OUT of line with this stance, I am shooting in the direction of the arm itself, which is to the right.

In the end, I think I will just shoot left eye for a while and check the results. They were quite promising yesterday. Hopefully Friday I can gather more data. I've used left eye for rifle forever, so this isn't a totally foreign thing for me.

Both eyes give consistent groups, but the "weak" eye gets them correctly aligned, at least based on yesterday. The "dominant" right eye consistently puts them horizontal to the right. That's the part that's been a bit strange for me. I would have expected it to be "wow, I've been shooting with my weak eye and now using my strong eye has fixed this." But it's been the reverse.

My doc sort of knows about shooting. I've been wearing contact lenses for 14 years now. At this point it's just nice to have some optimism that using the "wrong" eye appears to have fixed a problem I've been attributing to grip and trigger control for years. I think tomorrow if it works out I'll do another session with my bad eye and see what I get. The change yesterday was only to align/use my left eye.

I really think it was the wonky stance of holding it left handed but aiming with the right eye has been the problem. It looks like this:
View attachment 250943

Holding the left hand at an angle like that to align with the right eye I think causes this, if I don't take special care to properly align both arms:
View attachment 250944

My theory is that since traditionally your grip points the pistol in line with your arm, since my arm is inherently OUT of line with this stance, I am shooting in the direction of the arm itself, which is to the right.

In the end, I think I will just shoot left eye for a while and check the results. They were quite promising yesterday. Hopefully Friday I can gather more data. I've used left eye for rifle forever, so this isn't a totally foreign thing for me.
Don’t waste your time with “eye Dr sort of knows” go see Dr Stewart Ginsberg of Natick Eye associates . He added 20 points to my average darn near instantly with my shooting Rx.

Eye dominance doesn't affect the relationship between the rear sight, front sight, and target. When your shots are all over the place, it's because you're flinching. If they're in an off-center group, it's because you're flinching the same way every time. The solution is to see your sights aligned on target when the shot breaks.

If you want to shoot mostly A's and rarely make up shots on steel in matches, learn to see the sights on target when the shot breaks. Forget about eye dominance, arm angle, grip, and all that other unimportant stuff.

For me a red dot on a pistol or rifle mostly solves the problem. Both eyes open, forward and bring up the sight (ie Bindon Principle).
For irons on pistol, I find problems can be solved simply by keeping both eyes open, slightly turning your head to the right, and bringing the sight up in front of the dominant eye (left).
For irons on a rifle, I squint or close my left eye.

RH Dominant, LE Dominant (now) here. Started out life shooting with RH, RE dominant, so learned to shoot that way. Now for rifle if using sights I squint or close the LE. With pistol I just adjust my stance (turn head slight right). I still hit slight left, great group, and only left by an inch or two at 15yds. With a RDS it doesn't matter, both eyes open.

As I get older the more problems I have with my cross eye dominance.

I'm right handed and left eye... although, I do some sports left handed, so I'm all messed up actually.

Shooting long guns I shoot left handed.

When I was younger, I would just close my left eye and shoot pistols right handed and right eye. I shot great... never had a problem.

Then I kept reading and observing that I "should" be keeping both eyes open. So I started doing that. Prior to needing reading glasses, it worked out ok. It took a little training, but I could get my right non dominant eye to get a good sight picture for a long enough time to pull the trigger. I still wasn't nearly as good a shot as before, though

Now that I need reading glasses, my shooting with irons sights and both eyes open is like you. I have to hold over to make my shots. Not something I like to do and not something that is reliable.

I'm switching to red dots to try and resolve my problem. I hadn't thought about going back to closing an eye and using my non dominant, but maybe I'll try that in my next practice.

I'm about 2 hours away from hitting the range again and I'll continue using my non-dominant eye, maybe with some both eyes open exploration.
I think with non-dominant eye it just causes my actual point of aim to be off since my left hand, holding the pistol, is askew and not in very good alignment with my eyes. I could probably work on modifying the stance but for now it'll be good to confirm it's stance/eyes and not some other component.

The shot charts had me convinced it was grip and/or trigger control...but with making no change other than the eye used I've gone from having to hold left to holding dead on and getting hits.

Eye dominance doesn't affect the relationship between the rear sight, front sight, and target.

This.

But if you're truly seeing double then you might be lining up the front sight image from one eye to the rear sight image of the fellow eye. That would be a very confusing sight picture.
Assuming healthy eye movement, I'd optimize your prescription and then practice focusing like crazy on the front sight using the dominant eye. Then double check yourself by closing each eye individually to make sure the correct eye is lined up to the correct sight picture.

Back
Top Bottom