• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Scout" style rifles

Thinking of building a scout style bolt gun for hunting - I'm a lefty and finding lefty action rifles can be tricky - add in my own particular wants and I'm looking at a near custom build anyway.

But if I start with an off the shelf righty bolt gun (new Win mod 70 in .308) and build a scout, I'm slightly ahead.

The forward mounted scope provided more clearance for the googly bolt operation, the short action provides a shorter/quicker stroke with less "bopping myself in the nose"

questions:
any lefties here operating a righty bolt gun?
anybody here have a scout style set up? Care to share your build specs?

Sprocket,
Check out this thread and this topic for info on my Lefty Savage Scout.

and a quote from this thread:
I am a lefty too.

My first bolt gun (in 1986) was a RH Rem. M700. In the last five years, I have picked up a Savage Scout Rifle (LH), Win. M70 (LH), and a Savage Model 11 (LH). Recently I have been looking at a Savage Model MARK II-GL (LH).

My suggestion is - spent the extra cash it may cost and get a gun that fits you well. Not just for LOP and other stock dimensions, but more importantly one where you can operate the controls most efficiently. Not just the bolt, but the safety too!

Part of the problem I find is that when working a right handed bolt from the left shoulder (in a standing position) is that you have to support the entire weight of the rifle with your dominate hand (which is on the grip) while working the bolt. This tends to get a little front heavy and can result in slower shot-to-shot splits. When kneeling, the results are similar. Tied up in your sling and prone – forget about it! If you are not concerned with rapid bolt manipulation then no worries.

Shooting from a supported position changes things significantly. If the rifle is resting on a sandbag, then a lefty shooter can maintain a steady position with his dominate hand around the grip and the non-dominate hand ON the bolt handle. As soon as the shot breaks, the operator can manipulate the bolt rapidly without much disturbance of sight picture or NPOA.

Not too many years ago, before the advent of Marine Snipers armed with semi-auto-gas-guns, southpaws had a distinct advantage with the M40A1 during rapid bolt manipulation drills.

I guess it boils down to how you expect to employ your rifle; quickly from you hind paws or more deliberately from a rest.

Finding a LH rifle use to be problematic. My HS rifle team had ONE left hand rifle, which I had to share with another shooter. It became a real PITA asking the other shooter how many clicks of windage and elevation she moved the sights so that I could take it off and get my zero back.

BTW, here is a picture of the Savage Model MARK II-GL that I mentioned above. I finally got around to having it built as a .22 trainer. More info on it here.

I've put a few Savage lefties together, but not a Scout. If you like the looks of the Savage 10FCM rifle, give Savage's custom shop a call. They no longer catalog the 10FLCM, but since all they have to do is grab a lefty short action and stock, they can still build one for you. It will be more expensive......

413-568-7001, ask for the custom shop (sometimes called the special order shop).

If you want the build it yourself route, Savageshooters.com forums are the way to go. I was thinking a sporter 308 barrel profiled so an XS scout mount would fit, inlet the stock around the mount, and then figure out backup sights. (Maybe - I haven't had a scope failure in a long time, so not having irons wouldn't kill me.)

Northlander on Savageshooters sells Savage actions, stocks & barrels separately. He gets lefty rifles in pretty regularly. I bought my lefty Savage 12 from him - good people.

Oh, and if you want a Ching sling for your project, langloisandy here on NES makes nice ones. www.shottist.com

Andy - you talk about running the bolt with your right hand - I was intending to run it with the left so as not to move my support hand when prone - but I totally get what you're talking about

The only "advantage" to using a righty gun is to get the platform I want - I'm biased against savage and towards winchester. I suspect I should open my mind and take another look based on some comments I've read here.

Of all the guns I've handled the preference is Win 70, Rem 700, Ruger 77 - the savage hasn't even been considered until now.

Its all in the bench build stage right now but thanks for the help

Andy - do you have the 10/22 scout too? I think we met at an appleseed once.

The only "advantage" to using a righty gun is to get the platform I want.

I guess it boils down to how fast you need or want to run the bolt. As a lefty you can work a right handed bolt administratively or lackadaisically, but you won't be as fast as you would be with a left handed bolt.

But then again, this may not be a concern for you.

What are the pros ans cons of the platforms you are looking at?

Be sure to check out the Scout Rifle Forum. You may find more answers to your questions there.

Andy - do you have the 10/22 scout too? I think we met at an appleseed once.

I shot an Appleseed at PEMI (Holderness, NH) with my 10/22 Scout, April 2009 so we probally met there. Forgive me, but I can't place your face with your screen name.

sorry andy - i have you confused with another scout 10/22 owner then.

i hear you with the righty gun - id better start praying like that guy in saving private ryan if id like to see that kind of proficiency...

im gonna start looking for savage scout leftys and keep the custom shop number as an ace - if i find they have the quality im looking for, i'll get going on it

for now i'll start looking for a lefty 22lr for training - thinking cz

got any other forums - ive pretty much exhausted the ones you've posted so far.

thanks

I'm not sure what you meant by this:
id better start praying like that guy in saving private ryan if id like to see that kind of proficiency...

I don't consider Pvt. Jackson's fictional performance in the bell tower (1:50 fwd) as anything to emulate. Except maybe as an example of how a southpaw should NOT manipulate a bolt gun. I think that reaching over the action and scope is just too much wasted time and motion. Awkward as all heck too.

It brings to mind this snip from the prior post:
If the rifle is resting on a sandbag, then a lefty shooter can maintain a steady position with his dominate hand around the grip and the non-dominate hand ON the bolt handle. As soon as the shot breaks, the operator can manipulate the bolt rapidly without much disturbance of sight picture or NPOA.

got any other forums - ive pretty much exhausted the ones you've posted so far.

There have been some decent scout concept "discussions" on the Kifaru Forum as of late.

Topics:
Multipurpose .308 bolt gun opinions?

"Scout Scope"...

"Scout Scope" vs. EOTech, AimPoint,et al..?

Andy - that's the technique they used to teach leftys from what I understand - also, when prone, you don't want to move your support hand to cycle the action, especially as mentioned before, stuck in a sling - so it's worse than trying to learn cursive writing from nuns...aside from an auto loader, options are limited

I avoid bell towers. I don't plan to be sandbag resting much either - my main goal is to use it as a hunting rifle that is handy in the brush. I currently have 2 guns, one for the heavy brush and one for longer ranges once the forest opens up. I'd like to get back to hunting one gun for a bunch of reasons.

discussion on the scout board about the savages brought up some points to look for - loose front sight, etc. at least it won't be a surprise when I look at them

thanks for the links - they've been helpful. I used to read guns & ammo a lot back in the 80s when cooper first started talking up the idea, it never really left my mind.

cheers

Not the best when prone, but how about a lever?
034011m.jpg

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=003B&cat_id=034&type_id=011

HAH! looks like the centerfold from the marlin catalogue

I have a marlin 336c in 30-30 - Im sure there will be the mention of leverevolution ammo any minute now. which would be valid and OT

My original post I was looking for leftys with righty rifles or scouts - now I have both. after reading the links provided i can say that I'll be looking hard at savage rifles and working on a plan from there. even if i buy a standard rifle and but the barrel separately...

HAH! looks like the centerfold from the marlin catalogue

I have a marlin 336c in 30-30 - Im sure there will be the mention of leverevolution ammo any minute now.
Brownings are magazine fed. That's available in regular old .308. Spitzers are just fine.

oh now I see what you're getting at - i really am leaning toward a bolt gun as it is something I don't own yet, the building is part of the fun and my buddies seem to hate the scout concept - when I show up a camp with it, the looks will be worth it...

other options are the remy 7600 in 308 or 30-06 - one guy suggested a socom or ar-10 - i said screw that, m1 or nothing.

Back
Top Bottom