Scored at Strickland and Son

SKS Ray

NES Member
I went over to Strickland's gun shop tonight with my wife and she bought me a birthday present a few days early... a Mod 1908 Brazilian Mauser in VG conidtion with a mint bore and great tiger striped stock. Price was only $150.[shocked]
I also got an Enfield No4 MK2 in near mint condition outside with a mirror like bore with a very small bit of rust here and there in the bore that should come right out. Corret sling and all, price on that one was $250. I tried to get it for $200 but was told these were consignment guns. I had to have it.[smile]
Pics to follow either tomorrow or later this week. It was dark outside when I got home.
Lots more goodies still left there including what the owner said was just about every Carcano made, and a few Chinese Mosin M44s (Type 53 or 56?) Can't remember the correct model number for those. One was mint with a counter bored muzzle.

Milsurps:

You've been a very bad boy... again. Can't wait to see your pics. Hey - do I get a finder's fee for these too?

By the way - the Finn M28/30 I picked up.... I can't find it being offered anywhere for less than THREE TIMES what I paid. SCORE!

Well the Enfield cleaned up to almost new, but the 1908 is a diferent story. Some heavy pitting below the wood including on the receiver. I might take it back depending on the opinions I get from the milsurp forums.

MVC-015F-2.jpg

MVC-016F-2.jpg

I seen these 7mm brazilian 1908 mausers go up overnite a few years ago just check the norm on the prices on the auction sites. I won one for $150 with the bayonet and the very next week I seen these hit $350 to $400 for the very same gun when i went to bid on another one. There's something special about these large ring south american mausers in 7mm.

On the good side we have to grab these when we seen them offered because they won't bearound for too much longer then there gone for good in some cases. The pitting doesn't look that bad to me, where's the pitting on the barrel, like the location? When i have a rare find like this they go into the blackhole in the safe and i rarely see them again until its my yearly wipe down party at christmas time. I tend to take special care of these rare finds too because they were priced right.

Last edited:
I went back up to Strickalnd's tonight and after having the owner (who is also a smith) carefully look over the rifle, he said it definitely looks safe to shoot. Judging by the thickness of the receiver and barrel, he says the pitting poses no threat to the rifle.
I plan on cleaning it well, treating the pitted areas with some grease, or maybe even cosmolene, and getting it back together for a range trip this weekend.

I went back up to Strickalnd's tonight and after having the owner (who is also a smith) carefully look over the rifle, he said it definitely looks safe to shoot. Judging by the thickness of the receiver and barrel, he says the pitting poses no threat to the rifle.
I plan on cleaning it well, treating the pitted areas with some grease, or maybe even cosmolene, and getting it back together for a range trip this weekend.

Ron knows his stuff, he won't steer you wrong.

Well, thinking I might have missed something the first go-around, I went back again last night - one week after my first major haul.

Wouldn't you know it.... I found something else I couldn't live without - a Model 1909 Argentine Mauser in 7.65x53mm. Damn thing is in nice shape (VG), and completely matching. Bluing is a little light, but what the heck. No corrosion or pitting anywhere. And as long as I keep seeing them go for $300(+) on the auction boards, I'm happy to pay the $250 price.

I've heard and read great things about the accuracy of these rifles, and besides, I don't have anything in that caliber.... (insert more lame excuses here)

KK

It has the receiver crest too. I picked it up and put it down 4 or 5 times. [smile] Theres lots of South American Mauser types there. Columbian, Argentine, etc. I guess the guy that passed on had a thing for those types.
Careful when you re-assmble the bolt, its easy to put teh safety in wrong and it won't work. Surplus Rifle has a section on it. The safety is kinda trial and error untill you get it right.
Check the NY ammo guys at the next show, they have some great Argentine Mauser ammo in small white boxes and they usually bring it at every show.
I got my Argy at M&Ms in Plymouth, its all matching, came with a bayonet and was mine OTD for $200. Mint bore too and great overall condition. No crest though but thats common on these.

Last edited:
Damn, these South American Mausers seem to be dirt cheap in the U.S.,
at least compared to here.

I have a 1908 Brazilian w/ matching bayo, sling, muzzle protector and proof firing target dtd Apr.20,1912. This has cost me some significant more $$$,
than you guys have scored for.
As a handload you may want to try
48 grs of VV N160 behind a 150 grs Sierra MK, OAL 3.05" (77.5 mm).
Calc. pressure at only 39,660 psi , MV at 2,670 fps.
I found this to be a very accurate load.

My 2 Argentinos (long rifle and cav carbine) are fed with PRVI Partizan
175 grs FMJ-BT. Not as accurate as the 7mm, but still good and the brass
appears very good for reloading.

Happy shooting !

I stopped in there today. Here is what I saw:
Finn M91
Finn M39 VKT, looked unissued.
3 M44's
4 or 5 Arisakas
1 Enfield No4
2 Enfield jungle carbines
1 P14 Enfield
1 M1917 Eddystone
2 M1903A3's.

I was very tempted by the M39, but am saving up for other things right now.

Back
Top Bottom