Scopes/Bolt gun/F-Classers

I really don't know a lot about the tactical matches, but I do agree that just because the military does something does not mean it is the best for a particular application. Typically their stuff does a manageable job at many things. I don't have an opinion on FFP reticles, because we don't really range things in F-class or any of the NRA or CMP stuff.

However from the standpoint of F-class, I don't think that there is much debate at all about using more powerful optics. Last years F-class champ had a 12-42X NightForce; and they are pretty popular. It is the same way with benchrest, where Leup. 36X scopes are very popular. It is all about being able to see.

B

I'm pretty sure that they were using TAC 50s and shooting A-max bullets that were hand loaded.

However this quote pretty well sums up my guess.

"Shots out that far are 60 per cent skill and 40 per cent luck, or vice versa," said Bill. "Usually, it takes two or three rounds, sometimes five. "Normally, a sniper wouldn't take that many shots, but they were out so far we felt confident they couldn't tell where we were."

B

600 yard tactical shooting

I have loved this thread and have followed it closely. I too want to put a 10X on say... a K31, and develop some reasonable skills at that range, and with that type of rifle. F class does not seem the best way to go, but there seems few (if any) other venues. Fun, and improvement is what it is all about for me.

You can shoot over the course with your K31 without a scope.

You shoot:

Slow fire standing at 200yds.
Rapid Fire standing to sitting at 200yds.
Rapid Fire Standing to prone at 300yds.
Slow Fire Prone at 600yds.

There are a lot of clubs that use scaled targets at shorter distances (as close as 100 yds).

B

This month, Reading Rifle and Pistol has 3 80 shot OTC matches 19 (8am) ,20 (9am) and 26 (8am).
20 shots slow standing 200yd
20 shots rapid sitting 200yd
20 shots rapid prone 300yd
20 shots slow prone 600yd

should come out!

3x600 sounds more like...

... what I am looking for. I shoot EMRL, and 200 yd off-hand with iron sights is fun, but I want to learn to use a MilDot 10X reliably out to 600yds. The 3x600 shoots are fired prone only? Are F-classers allowed in too?

JR

The 3x600 shoots are fired prone only? Are F-classers allowed in too?

JR

I am thinking it is open to anything. I cant remember.. I havent been to one yet and am planning to show up with my AR-15 for some 600yd practice.

watching the 3X600 at Reading today...

I think I get it now. If you put any kind of glass on your rifle, or use any kind of rest (sandbags, bipod, bench rest rig... whatever), you are in F-class, it doesn't matter what kind of rifle or caliber. The exceptions are .308 or .223, which then puts you into FF (or F-TR) class. Everyone else shoots with open sights, and no rest other than their arm, and whatever caliber they like. I was told that there are sometimes military rifle classes, but not at these shoots.
600b.JPEG

600e.JPEG

I saw one first timer with a Rem700 tactical in .308 doing quite well, so I guess it doesn't take a huge investment to get into this thing. The mega-buck space gun guys firing super flat (aka super-fast) calibers like say 6.5-284 off bench rest rigs seem to hammer X's and 10's (mostly X's) all day, but I want to learn to shoot a huntable/tactical caliber at 600 yards, and the .308 is still quite viable at that range. Looks like the K31, and the 10x40 for me, at least to learn how to dope a scope, and wind, etc. We'll talk about a more modern tactical rig later on.

Cool. Do you guys know what the best way to get into shooting with optics is? Is there some sort of bible or software program or general guide that "everyone" has read/used? With only a handful of prone matches coming up, I'm not going to be able to get hundreds of hours in with practice, and I'd like to show up to the first any/any match with at least a semblance of an idea for what's going on :). (This is why I was asking on these forums before about what people do for practice and if there are any steel plate ranges around.)

yes AMES in Easton, MA has steel plates and reactive targets.

Hee's what I'll be bringing to the 3x600...

this and a few sandbags I guess...

JR

K31full.JPEG

K31close.JPEG

Last edited:
Yes...

that's a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40mm, Mildot on a St Marie's clamp-on base. A 42mm bell would not allow me to leave the MoJo's on, but this one does... barely. I got it from this groups 4sale forum. It had a sizeable ding in it from where the guy selling it poked it with a screwdriver trying to get the rings off. That almost killed the deal as I could spend $30 more and get one NIB, but I'd driven all the way to Norwood, and I didn't want to add the Tundra-burned gas into the price in my head or I'd piss myself off. Anyway, the rings cover the ding, and what's done is done. What kind of accuracy it can/will/might acheive will be determined tomorrow (weather permitting) at HHRG when I zero this bad boy in. I'll keep you posted.

JR

Last edited:

Good thing your so active in your club that we have to keep our eyes open to find you these deals. Go to hhrg early and help us with the juniors shoot.

yeah... yeah... yeah...

Yes you were the one that steered me to that scope deal...

I won't get there until after I pound down some of the wife's awesome blueberry pancakes. You'd better hope she doesn't sleep in too long!

JR

what can I say...

when you're cash challenged, you get very creative.

Besides... anyone can get a new Ferrari to go fast. What takes balls is ripping up the road in a vintage relic (like a crusty old Jeep perhaps....!)

JR

Is it true that Reading is having a 3x600 on Aug 27th? A Monday? What about guys that aren't retired yet?

Back
Top Bottom