• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope mount dilemma... Need opinions...

Hello all,

Take a look at these pictures and let me know what you think about getting a red dot mounted on this gun. I was leaning towards drilling and tapping the barrel rib for a flat top rail, but before I do, I wanted to get some input. It's a Stoeger Outback, basically a short barreled Condor, that I'm looking to tune up for turkey in the spring. I know it's a little unorthodox to be hunting turkey with an O/U, can't stand tactical rigs in the woods, just my opinion, but none the less, I think she'll get the job done just fine. Not trying to do anything cheaply, just want to get this done, I think this gun will function well and be a real looker all done up with extended chokes and red dot. Anyways... Let me know what you all think. Thanks, -Matt

0227002154.jpg

0227002156.jpg

0225002005a.jpg

Last edited:
What do you want input on? If you want to drill and tap it, then do it. It's pretty simple and it's personal preference. I don't see a dilemma...

I would drill and tap the rib. You will also want to mill out the bottom of a section of rail so that the two pieces become keyed together once you screw the rail down.

I think a red dot on a shotgun is a fine idea. If you think it will help then more power to you! And if you're handy with tools, it's easy. I did this to a 10/22. I made a template from cardboard to make sure the rail would be true, started the holes with a diamond scribe and then an automatic center punch. If you tape over where you're going to drill you'll avoid marring the receiver. A drill press helps a lot, too. Do it up, and I expect to see pictures of the finished product.

You should be able to hit the turkey just fine using the sights on it.
It is designed to easily allow you to aquire targets flying 42MPH!!!! A dumb turkey pecking away on the ground should be a piece of cake for it.

Red dots for shotguns are usually only put on semi-autos for tactical use or for hunting with slugs. For the cost of the reddot, drilling and tapping, plus the mount you might as well go pick up a benelli nova used for like $350.

really just wanna be a little different, I like this little gun, and the fact that it's no beauty leaves some room for modification. Didn't know if anyone had see anything like this done before is all.

Sry about the miss spell velnueve...

wait it's vellnueve sry [smile]

You should be able to hit the turkey just fine using the sights on it.
It is designed to easily allow you to aquire targets flying 42MPH!!!! A dumb turkey pecking away on the ground should be a piece of cake for it.

Red dots for shotguns are usually only put on semi-autos for tactical use or for hunting with slugs. For the cost of the reddot, drilling and tapping, plus the mount you might as well go pick up a benelli nova used for like $350.

This ^^^^^

Should have known what your username would be ;)

Anyway, icyclefar's idea of milling out a step from the rail so that it keys together with the vent rib sounds like it will work. Thats something I could do for you. I would just need to measure the width of the rib with a set of dial calipers so I know how wide to mill the slot. I could do that on a Bridgeport at work in a few minutes.

We should work out another weekend where you're out in Monson...we can head out to the shop for an hour or so and get the rail milled and the barrel D&T'd. I've got access to the machine shop whenever.....

BTW, welcome to NES.

UPDATE...

evil without a doubt [smile]

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2481/0323002055.jpg
[IMG]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8962/0323002054.jpg
[IMG]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/310/0323002052.jpg[/QUOTE]

Glad it all worked out for you, looks sweet to boot. If you sight the scope in right you should even be able to bust clays with that thing. IMHO red dots work awesome for shotguns as most are meant to shoot out to 100yds. You're not going to be shooting past 100yds with slugs and the ability to aquire targets fast makes it work great for birds/clays too. I plan on slapping my Eotech 552 on my Rem M887 tactical when it comes in and see how I do at a round of trap with it [grin]

Back
Top Bottom