• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope help

mac1911

NES Member
Ok so,I have been saving and searching.
Budget is 500-1000
End us 95% bench and prone. 100-200 and a few trips to 600 if I fit it in looking to shoot small groups. With a chance it might see the field for coyote hunts.

Rifle heavy bull barell AR 15

I have used several scopes over the past summer. Liked almost all of them but found a few things I know I want or don't.
Just to date myself my current favorite rifle scope is a vintage leupold VX III 2.5x8x32 with your standard 30/30
2nd is my Hawke air max on my pellet gun map 6

Side focus, I can't reach the bell type adjuster well at all.
Target style turrets. Done with the coin needed to adjust.
Prefer adjustable magnification or some input on a fixed mag good from 100-600 yards.

Reticle: I want a simple clean reticle like the Hawke map 6 just a few hold over points.
Not a huge fan of the current full blown "mil dot" I won't be doing a lot of range estimation so a fancy clustered graphed out ret is,not needed.
I also want the reticle to cover as little of the target as possible. My old leupold 30/30 ret darn near covers 2moa ! Great for dear kill zone but not little groups.

Scoped I tried and liked/disliked
1. March scope with 1/8 moa dot. Well what can I say,I,loved this scope except the price.
2. Leupold comp not so keen on fixed magnification. The owner pointed out issues with the side focus not tracking well.
3. Nikon so have not liked any I tried....they just appear cloudy to me.
4. Sightron ....I,forget the model but this seemed like a decent scope minus the clustered ret.
5. Mueller target dot......this scope was ok but the dot was not clear. Appears to my eye more like dirt on the lens than a dot....comes with the price range I guess.
6. Super sniper liked it but again the ret was to much and covered a lot of the x ring.

I could stretch my budget a bit more if it gets me there.

I tried others but can't recall the models....more of your basic off the shelf stuff.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Burris XTR 2 line. If the side focus wasn't a factor, the MTAC line will easily fall into your price range. Vortex may have something you'd like as well.

Someone I shot with had a Leupold HAMR, which seemed nice, but it may be a little higher than your range.

Someone I shot with had a Leupold HAMR, which seemed nice, but it may be a little higher than your range.

As much as I like it. It's not exactly a "target" scope. Good for hits on target. I would like a scope designed to put little groups on target where I want the groups to be.
The "tactical" reticles are to busy or cover to much of the target.

As much as I like it. It's not exactly a "target" scope. Good for hits on target. I would like a scope designed to put little groups on target where I want the groups to be.

Sorry, I missed that.

There are plenty of Nikons, Leupolds, and others which fit in your pretty decent budget window then.

Sorry, I missed that.

There are plenty of Nikons, Leupolds, and others which fit in your pretty decent budget window then.

Problem is reticle. The tactical mil dot reticles are just on everything. I want nice simple reticle.

Like the March 1/8 target dot with a few windage and elevation hash marks . The search goes on.
Like to stay up in MAGX also

Sightron has target dot and fine cross hair models, I think they are the best value under $1000. I have a 10-50X60 with a target dot and the thing is like a Hubble telescope.

Dean

For strictly target scopes, have you looked at the Weaver "T" series? They are excellent scopes, but admittedly are not side adjustable, nor do they have any hash marks on the simple fine crosshairs.

For strictly target scopes, have you looked at the Weaver "T" series? They are excellent scopes, but admittedly are not side adjustable, nor do they have any hash marks on the simple fine crosshairs.
the new T series XR has side focus.

The weaver and sightron made my short list. I really I would just want a dot with say 3 dots below and 2 dots to the sides. Like my Hawke scope with map 6 ret.
I'm still looking....tough looked at many web sites and trying to figure out what scope comes with what ret has been a royal PITA.

- - - Updated - - -

Sightron has target dot and fine cross hair models, I think they are the best value under $1000. I have a 10-50X60 with a target dot and the thing is like a Hubble telescope.

Dean

How is the resolution at 50x.... what size is the dot at 10x and 50x

Last edited:
I don't know what to tell you as far the size of the dot, it is small enough not to be an issue. And as far as magnification it is clear up to 45X and the remaining 5X starts to get a tad darker.

Dean

Have you considered an Accupoint? I absolutely love mine. In your price range as well. Multiple different reticles for you to choose from as well as plenty of different magnification levels available. I'm planning to hit my range next weekend as I need to swap the scope over to a new rifle I picked up. Welcome to join me and check it out, will be at HSA. I also have a Nikon P223 on an AR platform, that's a very nice scope in a low price range. Holds it's zero very nicely and zero issue with clarity.
-Brian

Have you considered an Accupoint? I absolutely love mine. In your price range as well. Multiple different reticles for you to choose from as well as plenty of different magnification levels available. I'm planning to hit my range next weekend as I need to swap the scope over to a new rifle I picked up. Welcome to join me and check it out, will be at HSA. I also have a Nikon P223 on an AR platform, that's a very nice scope in a low price range. Holds it's zero very nicely and zero issue with clarity.
-Brian

I tried a accupower? 4x16 standard duplex reticle. Was decent but really no better than my leupold VXIII. Crosshairs a bit to heavy....
I have learned for the most part if the manufacture doesn't have the ret sizes available they are going to be to thick or cover a lot of the target.

look for a used NightForce

seriously...they come up ALL the time. I bought one for $1000, and another one for $1200, both NIB (8-32NXS's, 1 mildot 1 MOAR reticle)

once you spend some time behind one, they spoil you.....you dont want to use anything else (although the 2.5-10 Vortex ive got on my tactical/practical rig is pretty nice for $500)

look for a used NightForce

seriously...they come up ALL the time. I bought one for $1000, and another one for $1200, both NIB (8-32NXS's, 1 mildot 1 MOAR reticle)

once you spend some time behind one, they spoil you.....you dont want to use anything else (although the 2.5-10 Vortex ive got on my tactical/practical rig is pretty nice for $500)

im being very picky on the reticle. I really like the Vortex ECR1 ret? liked the ddr2 also????

ret_golden-eagle_ecr-1_moa.jpg

I,like the looks of this reticle? From vortex?
I can't seem to find a reticle I like in a scope I think I want in my price range.

Last edited:
Just did a quick Google search for ya.

Weaver Kaspa:
th

AO Hog Hunter:
th

ZEISS Conquest Duralyt 2-8x42 Rifle Scope, 30mm, Reticle 6, Hunting Turret (52 54 11 9906):
ZEISS-Conquest-Duralyt-2-8x42-Rifle-Scope-30mm-Reticle-6-Hunting-Turret-52-54-11-9906-Pic1.jpg

REDFIELD Revenge 3 9x42 Riflescope, Accu Ranger Hunter Reticle, Matte:
th

Redfield 4-Plex:
th

Just did a quick Google search for ya.

Weaver Kaspa:
th

AO Hog Hunter:
th

ZEISS Conquest Duralyt 2-8x42 Rifle Scope, 30mm, Reticle 6, Hunting Turret (52 54 11 9906):
ZEISS-Conquest-Duralyt-2-8x42-Rifle-Scope-30mm-Reticle-6-Hunting-Turret-52-54-11-9906-Pic1.jpg

REDFIELD Revenge 3 9x42 Riflescope, Accu Ranger Hunter Reticle, Matte:
th

Redfield 4-Plex:
th

Thanks....on the lower side of the magX I would like.

See the thing is I got to use some really nice scopes this summer. With nice thin small moa lines and dots. Most of the scopes I looked through where in the 1/8 to 1/16 moa dots on 24-36x.
The best was a 1/16 moa dot on a fixed 40x. March scope but that's out reach.
The search goes on.

If vortex offered thier dead set bdc reticle with thinner lines and could get into the 1/8 moa dots in their 6x24 or 8x32 with side focus they might have something

I like the fine crosshairs with a small black dot, I forget the dot size, but small. The reason being, that it is more relaxing on the eye to look at the dot than to look at a even smaller intersection of the crosshair. In a long match, 120 shots, the eyes get tired after a while, so I find the dot is less fatiguing on the eyes. My opinion only. They all work.

I like the fine crosshairs with a small black dot, I forget the dot size, but small. The reason being, that it is more relaxing on the eye to look at the dot than to look at a even smaller intersection of the crosshair. In a long match, 120 shots, the eyes get tired after a while, so I find the dot is less fatiguing on the eyes. My opinion only. They all work.

I like the target dots I just wish they had just a few elevation /windage hold over hash marks also. Still undecided and saving. 20160213_144752.jpg
I like this reticle
This is a reticle from a Hawke optics scope. This is a 4x12x40 AO. It's pretty decent for 200$ and I have a few Hawke scopes for 22s and pellet guns.

If I can find this in a 32x scope with side focus I would have a winner.

Last edited:
Coyote33 your mailbox is full
The one shown is a air max I bough a few years ago.
I got turned onto Hawke optics because of their software.
Hawke BDC and chair gun pro. Really goes well with the scopes.
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-4-12x40-amx.html

Looks like they don't offer the map 6 much any more.

I think I paid 150$ on sale ?

I also have a fixed 4x mil dot style it's ok for the money 75$ or so.
I ordered a 8x32 that was on back ordered and eventually they cancelled my order. I wanted the map 6 ret. Looks like they dropped that 2014ish.
The air max scopes are nice but like so many manufactures they are following the graph paper looking reticles?

Personally I would save more and get a better scope. To me the glass is just as, and in some instances more, important then the gun itself.

I have been saving and keep saving ....at this point until a manufacture has a reticle i like I will keep saving.

Just to update I sent with the sightron SIII 8x32x56
Love it. Reticle spacing is 2MOA at 24x center dot is .25 at 24x
I find myself using 12x alot though. Especially at 100 yards....I get a little sea sick looking through at 24-32x

Back
Top Bottom