Where to sight in a new rifle/scope?

Hey there!

Searching forums and google has failed me miserably. I'm looking to sight in my new rifle/scope and I can't find a 100 yard range that doesn't require a membership. I don't really want to spend $300 and wait 8 months to join a club just to sight this in. Anyone know where I can find a 100yard range where I can shoot my rifle from a bench? I live in revere and am willing to drive about an hour and a half. Any suggestions? It's a 1942 Mosin that I built for PRS (I know I'm not going to do well in any competitions. I'm just looking to have some fun while I build a 6.5CM)

Thanks!

Where do you live? Edit: just saw Revere in Mass.

Most states, such as RI or Mass, have public rifle ranges that require a minimal amount of expenditure to be able to shoot at. If you live in northern New England, then a range largely isn't necessary for this purpose.

The other idea would be to attend a PRS match without shooting, meet competitors, and join one of the host clubs after you've been to a few matches and hopefully competed in some. There's a fair amount of PRS shooters on here whom I'm sure would be willing to help you find a club.

Thanks C. Stockwell. The problem is I can't find a public 100yard range. I have a whole list of clubs I can join, but they're all waitlisted for months and cost 300-400 to join. Theres a competition in Granby in April I want to go to but want to sight in and practice first. If anyone is on here that shoots PRS and wants to weigh in that would be AWESOME as, obviously, I'm just starting out here.

Thanks C. Stockwell. The problem is I can't find a public 100yard range. I have a whole list of clubs I can join, but they're all waitlisted for months and cost 300-400 to join. Theres a competition in Granby in April I want to go to but want to sight in and practice first. If anyone is on here that shoots PRS and wants to weigh in that would be AWESOME as, obviously, I'm just starting out here.

You might want to just visit and not shoot at the April match to see what goes on and meet people. I know there's members on here who shoot at Granby. Anyways, there is a public range in Dartmouth, Mass. Use the forum's search function for "Dartmouth" and "woodcock" and you'll find a bunch of threads and people who shoot there.

New Bedford Municipal Shooting Range

100 Woodcock Rd., No. Dartmouth

Public – managed by City of New Bedford

Outdoor ranges to 500 yards

Permit fee - $40, permits available at range

Contact - 508-636-4669

Open Season: A list of the SouthCoast's sporting clubs and gun dealers

Is Reading not accepting right now ?

Woodcock is fairly easy to join providing you can make it down there early during the week. However id suggest calling first , there is almost always somene that will pick up the phone and answer your questions. Well worth the price of admission especially if you plan on doing prs .

Reading rifle and revolver? You need a sponsor, and I have no friends that shoot.

I'll have to check out woodcock. I'm already on the waitlist for a couple of clubs but again, looking to sight this in within the next couple of weeks

I’ll probably be at the range at Braintree tomorrow if you’d like to go there. Also have a labradar you can use since you’ll probably want to get some velocity numbers for a rough idea of drop.

Do yourself a favor and don’t try to shoot PRS or practice for PRS with a Mosin. You would learn far far far more about shooting PRS by volunteering to RO for a few matches and picking shooters brains while you wait for your 6.5 Creedmoor to be delivered.

Reading is also not currently taking in new members. We have a pretty thick backlog at the moment. Practicing PRS type shooting is also not allowed on the Reading ranges outside of the NRL rimfire matches.

I’ll probably be at the range at Braintree tomorrow if you’d like to go there. Also have a labradar you can use since you’ll probably want to get some velocity numbers for a rough idea of drop.
Hell of an offer, but unfortunately it’s my busy season and I’m working 7 days a week right now. I go back to my normal 5 on 2 off after Valentine’s Day though

Hanson rod and gun has cmp every
1st saturday and 3rd sunday each month. Its not a match so you can jump in and play.
I will often bring several rifles to zero or put some rounds down range.
$5 for fee which includes targets.
Most shoot from the bench but you can shoot in any position prone,sitting,standing

Hanson rod and gun has cmp every
1st saturday and 3rd sunday each month. Its not a match so you can jump in and play.
I will often bring several rifles to zero or put some rounds down range.
$5 for fee which includes targets.
Most shoot from the bench but you can shoot in any position prone,sitting,standing

you're a hero!! thanks so much!

You could also just join Granby. It’s not terribly expensive, the club could use the money, and it can be done online. I believe the range is still open out to 300 yds for general use.

What are you planning to build in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Also a word of warning regarding using your Mosin:

Every shooter is responsible for every round fired out of their rifle. Until your bullet stops moving, you own it. Showing up to a match with just a 100yd zero and no other ballistics or bullet drop data may make you very unpopular with the Match Director and your squad mates. Every bullet you fire must be accounted for. This means if you don’t hit the target, spotters better be able to see impact splash in the dirt nearby or bullet trace indicating where your bullets are landing. Safety is not taken lightly. Consider the first impression you want to make.

+1 on Granby, bit of a drive but you pay for membership online and get your membership in mail about 2 weeks later.

You could also just join Granby. It’s not terribly expensive, the club could use the money, and it can be done online. I believe the range is still open out to 300 yds for general use.

What are you planning to build in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Also a word of warning regarding using your Mosin:

Every shooter is responsible for every round fired out of their rifle. Until your bullet stops moving, you own it. Showing up to a match with just a 100yd zero and no other ballistics or bullet drop data may make you very unpopular with the Match Director and your squad mates. Every bullet you fire must be accounted for. This means if you don’t hit the target, spotters better be able to see impact splash in the dirt nearby or bullet trace indicating where your bullets are landing. Safety is not taken lightly. Consider the first impression you want to make.
can i have the webpage for Granby please

Back
Top Bottom