• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'Scope for my SAR-1

Twigg

NES Member
I want to add a scope to my AK. My eyes just ain't as good as they used to be. I'm thinking of adding a Russian POSP 8x42. Looks like it'll slide right onto the side rail. From what I've read these are supposed to be very rugged with an illuminated reticule. Battery seems to be widely available.

8x42%20posp.jpg

Anybody have any experience / opinions, good or bad on this scope ?

There are diferent manufacturers that made that style of scopes. They all look the same but lots of them have subtle differences in quality.
I got one from an advertiser in Shotgun News a while back for my Romak3 and found the reticle very faint and hard to read against slightly darker backgrounds. I sent it back for a refund and was refered to Tantal's site where I got a good one. They're good scopes but sighting them in can be tricky sometimes and they look a little big on a standard AK.
The Russians use Kobra red dots on theirs but they cost a lot of money and getting them can be dificult as they're often out of stock from most places.
I'll send you a link to the place I got mine from and you can check out what others are using and what the diferences are.

Found this great shot of one of the scopes available from Tantal's site.

mtk_pka.jpg

Last edited:
MrTwigg,
I have the POSP 4x24 on my WASR-10.. the reticule is only illuminated when the ambient light levels drop so I don't even turn the thing on most of the time.
I had a heck of a time sliding the scope on the mount probably due to the park finish of the WASR-10, but it did eventually go (I haven't tried taking it off yet [crying]) The instructions that did come with it were in russian so it did take a few to find out where the batteries actually go [thinking]. Overall I am happy with it.

I purchased the scope from Kalinka Optics

Thunderbolt

To be a little more specific, I should mention that on the first scope I got that I said the reticle was faint on, I was refering to the lines and numbers. They were very thin and not well defined and that made it hard to see when looking at darker backgrounds. Even the illuminator didn't help.
The one I got from Tantal had well defined lines and bold numbers that were easy to see no matter what background I looked at.
Heres the average Dragunov style scope reticle with info:

russ_posp_8x_ret_1000m.jpg

BTW, nightvisionweb.com was the place I got my first scope from. [rolleyes]

Thanks guys. I'm using one of these Weaver rail mounts with a truglo 42mm RedDot for now.
The mount slides on easily and locks solidly.
MNTAKA11-B.jpg

I plan on tinkering with my SAR-1 in the next few days. The BBT has been dropping off bits & pieces and I've been tossing them in a box untill they all arrive.

Here's some of the goodies I'm installing;

Ambi-extended mag release.
Tapco single hook trigger group.
Red Star Arms Shepards crook replacement lever.
Recoil pad / stock extender. (More to increase LOP)
Safety lever with extended release & bolt hold open notch.

Of course a full detail stripping and cleaning is in order. Looks like a two pot o' coffee job ! Who sez ya can't have fun with rifles in the winter ? [smile]

(Teaser alert) Got the 91/30 stripped down for a full finishing of the stock. No sanding will be done, I want to preserve all those little stampings but she's gonna be purty when she's done !

(Teaser alert) Got the 91/30 stripped down for a full finishing of the stock. No sanding will be done, I want to preserve all those little stampings but she's gonna be purty when she's done !

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=31

Get the amber instead of the clear shown. You can cut this with denatured alcohol to make it flow easier, but you still have to work quick because this stuff dries so fast.
The Russians used a tinted shellac on their rifles, and this is the closest to original that you can get. Keeps the collectability of the rifle there because its still very close to original.

+1 on the Kobra red dot. Very durable, great for rapid fire because you keep both eyes open. The dot is plenty bright, even on a sunny day.

mr.twigg...keep me updated o nthat mount please...ive been looking for something like that to mount my trijicon reflex on for my arsenal ak

I have one just like that, or similar to it that I've been thinking about selling. I used it to mount a Tru Glo on my SAR1 but just don't like shooting AKs with a red dot so I've been thinking of selling the set up.
PM me if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom