• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

@andrew1220 I was eyeballing that thing but already had the Henry Big Boy in that caliber. That is going to be a fun gun. I have to say though, my Henry Big Boy has a ridiculously nice trigger. My Marlin 1895GBL does not come close. But man I do love love my Marlin :)

I wish I never knew about lever action rifles. They have consumed me of late. Eh, who am I kidding. Pete
Nice! I have a Henry all weather 44 and the action and trigger is stupid smooth and light. The Marlin is somewhat close but not as light.
I used to have a Henry Big Boy 357 but I sold it back in like 2015? Nice to have another 357 lever gun

Uh oh!
I just hope the loading gate isn't too much of a PITA based on the reviews I read. Though it seems like an easy fix.
4:45 can't come soon enough so I can hit the road and then play with the rifle when I get home [laugh]

Take this with a grain of salt because I am new to lever actions. I have no idea why people complain about the loading gate. This is what I do; no idea if it is right but it just seemed logical. Load the first cartridge, but don't push it all the way in. Leave like an 1/8 to 1/4 inch out. This keeps the gate open. Push the next cartridge against the first. Stop short again. Rinse and repeat.

Take this with a grain of salt because I am new to lever actions. I have no idea why people complain about the loading gate. This is what I do; no idea if it is right but it just seemed logical. Load the first cartridge, but don't push it all the way in. Leave like an 1/8 to 1/4 inch out. This keeps the gate open. Push the next cartridge against the first. Stop short again. Rinse and repeat.
I read about that method and I suspect thats all I'll need to do as well...

Load the first cartridge, but don't push it all the way in. Leave like an 1/8 to 1/4 inch out. This keeps the gate open. Push the next cartridge against the first. Stop short again. Rinse and repeat.

That's the normal way of using a loading gate. It might actually work better with a stiff loading gate because with any given cartridge loaded, one of three things happens to me with my Rossi:

1. It works as planned.
2. I accidentally push it all the way in, and then the loading gate closes.
3. The gun tosses the partially loaded round out while I'm reaching for another round (and the gate closes).

#3 is common enough after the magazine is more than half full that I often hold the partially loaded round in place with my left hand while I reach for another round to load with my right. I have shortened the magazine spring considerably. Don't want to shorten it more because I typically store this gun fully loaded.

That's the normal way of using a loading gate. It might actually work better with a stiff loading gate because with any given cartridge loaded, one of three things happens to me with my Rossi:

1. It works as planned.
2. I accidentally push it all the way in, and then the loading gate closes.
3. The gun tosses the partially loaded round out while I'm reaching for another round (and the gate closes).

#3 is common enough after the magazine is more than half full that I often hold the partially loaded round in place with my left hand while I reach for another round to load with my right. I have shortened the magazine spring considerably. Don't want to shorten it more because I typically store this gun fully loaded.
Good to know! Hopefully it's just number 1 for me [laugh]

Hah. I probably will, too, if I can ever get my hands on one through one of my LGS's. With as much as I've spent on Henry products, I think they can cut me some slack.
There's a few online vendors that have them in stock but after shipping and transfer fees they were just a few dollars more than the one listed in the classifieds. No need to have dealers exchange FFL's etc.

This is the one I was going to buy until I saw the one on NES...

That's exactly what I do

This is the one I was going to buy until I saw the one on NES...

Thanks. I'm just sort of generally shopping for a high-quality 357 magnum lever gun (I mean I have two already, so...), and I haven't quite made up my mind what direction I want to go. I recently got a Navy Arms (Miroku) 1892 short rifle in 45 Colt. I put a tang sight on it. I like it, but I don't think I want to get a Miroku-made 1892 in 357 magnum because the heavy, rebounding hammer makes cycling a little bit harder than it should be. I'd kind of like to find a real Winchester 1892 in 357 magnum. I could go Uberti if I wanted to go with the 1873. That's a heavier option but with some of its own attractions.

Same here. Once the mag is almost full it might want to toss out a cartridge due to spring pressure. Not a big deal.

No, it's not a big deal. But the sum total of the experience loading 100 rounds or so through the loading gate on my Rossi or Miroku on a given day makes me appreciate how easy it is to load a Henry through the tube. I'd have to accidentally launch my magazine tube downrange once or twice to even the score. :) I haven't done that yet, but I've heard of people doing it.

No, it's not a big deal. But the sum total of the experience loading 100 rounds or so through the loading gate on my Rossi or Miroku on a given day makes me appreciate how easy it is to load a Henry through the tube. I'd have to accidentally launch my magazine tube downrange once or twice to even the score. :) I haven't done that yet, but I've heard of people doing it.
Yeah I hear ya. I'm a huge fan of the Uberti 1873. The loading gate is so nice and buttery smooth. I would load that over the Marlin any day.

I just tried loading it now and it’s not terribly hard but I can see my fingers getting sore rather quickly [laugh]

What’s more concerning is the gouges and scratches on the brass. There’s got to be some burrs inside that I can’t see.
B62474DD-4829-4846-9A1E-7629090C0620.jpeg

Tried disassembling but I can’t get the mag tube plug out. I removed the screw but the plug and spring don’t want to move....hmm
9DF2FB5C-C979-47D3-9049-C4314297B3E3.jpeg

I just tried loading it now and it’s not terribly hard but I can see my fingers getting sore rather quickly [laugh]

What’s more concerning is the gouges and scratches on the brass. There’s got to be some burrs inside that I can’t see.
View attachment 330132

Tried disassembling but I can’t get the mag tube plug out. I removed the screw but the plug and spring don’t want to move....hmm
View attachment 330133
Remove the forend cap and screw. Take fate forend off. Then you can take the mag tube off.
Chances are the receiver has some burs on the inside edge by the front of the loading gate. I hear this is a trouble area with the new Remlins.

Remove the forend cap and screw. Take fate forend off. Then you can take the mag tube off.
Chances are the receiver has some burs on the inside edge by the front of the loading gate. I hear this is a trouble area with the new Remlins.
The mag tube is dovetailed to the barrel. I removed the forend but that didn’t help.

I don’t know why the sprint won’t just come out. Must be hung up on something inside.

I might just bring it to northeast arms tomorrow and have them try to take it apart and remove the burrs in the mag tube/receiver.

The mag tube is dovetailed to the barrel. I removed the forend but that didn’t help.

I don’t know why the sprint won’t just come out. Must be hung up on something inside.

I might just bring it to northeast arms tomorrow and have them try to take it apart and remove the burrs in the mag tube/receiver.
The magazine tube hanger is dovetailed. It has a round post that extends into the magazine tube.
PM incoming.

The magazine tube hanger is dovetailed. It has a round post that extends into the magazine tube.
PM incoming.
Thanks for the tip!! Used some tape to protect the steel and a screwdriver to pry it off!
BF5A0013-A81D-4B75-90D5-94435D262972.jpeg

Well it’s not the mag tube thats gouging the brass as Marlin has a nice beveled/chamfered edge on the tube. It’s the hole in the receiver where the tube sits in that’s kinda rough.
43CDAD2E-74F3-4B11-92DE-BE7FBDB0168F.jpeg
BEAF3816-4552-408C-8863-A2D30DBB3740.jpeg

I bought a new Marlin 1894C in 357 mag today online. Hopefully it comes in nice. These have been out of stock for a while. Grabbed one for a little over 600 with free shipping, which to me is expensive, but gone are the days of me going to a million different gun shops to find a holy grail for 400 bucks. My last few Remlins have been very nice.....no complaints at all, especially with the wood...its been really fantastic.

I was thinking about a Winchester 92, but didn't want to spend that much.

I found this interesting perspective on the use of lever guns for personal defense. The presenter is not advocating the lever gun over a handgun or AR-15. Rather he offers it as an alternative when the first two are not available for whatever reason.

There are plenty of guys that if they were armed with lever actions I wouldn’t attempt to go after them with my AR. Check out some cowboy action shooting like Spencer Hoglund.
Hrfunk and Paul Harrel come to mind when I think of more practical application for a self defense lever gun.

View: https://youtu.be/XcUoGQIST1U

Some of the long barrel Marlin Cowboys hold a heck of a lot of ammo. Especially the old ones in pistol calibers. 18 rounds of 45 colt or 10 rounds of 45-70 without having to reload is some good defensive firepower.

This thread continues to deliver. I love it.

My son got his appointment for his Eagle Scout board of review for the end of the month. Now I am on the hunt for a Henry Trail To Eagle .22. I know it's going to probably be tough to find a used one, but I'm gonna try......
Nice!! That will be a great gift.
Cheapest one I could find (new) was this:

May this thread never die. Question for you guys. I got out at lunch time with the 45-70. I added a skinner peep, which is awesome but that front sight sucks. I even painted the bead white. Especially when placed on a black target, it just disappears. I removed the hood and it appears I could put a dovetail sight on it. Does anybody know if there is a hi-viz type site that would be compatible? I really do not want to scope this thing; it just be wrong :)

Pete

I found this interesting perspective on the use of lever guns for personal defense. The presenter is not advocating the lever gun over a handgun or AR-15. Rather he offers it as an alternative when the first two are not available for whatever reason.

Sometimes it's all you've got.
Beware of the man with one gun. He likely knows how to use it.

May this thread never die. Question for you guys. I got out at lunch time with the 45-70. I added a skinner peep, which is awesome but that front sight sucks. I even painted the bead white. Especially when placed on a black target, it just disappears. I removed the hood and it appears I could put a dovetail sight on it. Does anybody know if there is a hi-viz type site that would be compatible? I really do not want to scope this thing; it just be wrong :)

Pete
I think you can get a fiber optic one. I believe some of them come with them from the factory. I prefer the Marbles brass bead with the tapered post. It gives a good reference for having some different holds depending on range. Elmer Keith’s style

Back
Top Bottom