• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on CBRN masks

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
All the coronavirus stuff has got me looking at newer CBRN masks, my experience is limited to mil issue M40s, which are good masks for the money.

Im looking at either an Avon M53 or an Airboss LBM, wondering if anybody has any suggestions and insight.

Selection criteria:

Has to be lightweight and comfortable
Needs good FOV
Needs h20 and commo compatibility
Needs to work when shouldering a rifle
Needs to take NATO style CBRN canisters from M40
Needs to be flex-worthy, this is most important

We should also discuss other options available for guys interested in getting into the cbrn game.

Seems you are not the only one thinking about it. I just read this... My take away is the good ones are not cheap and may be out of stock for a little while.

This is what I use for woodworking, and may resort to using if this stupid virus gets out of control.

Those are the best value for the money. Add some Goggles and you are good to go.

Filters are easy to find. The ones that come inside a plastic thing are expensive, but the round filters are fairly cheap.

I’ve used that M53 extensively. Lots of both gas chamber and shooting time in it. Great mask. But damn, you’re gonna pay for one. As with all masks, fit and maintenance are crucial. If you aren’t familiar with the PMS required, make sure you get a maintenance plan set up. Love the 1 piece lens. Good comms piece. It would be my go to if I was looking for a CBRNE mask.

I think a CBRN mask is totally worth having. Not because of the flu, but because I was able to justify buying rifle plates for some reason, and if we really surfing boog tubes, some sort of gas will most definitely be the first step of escalation in a beef with .gov. Seems logical to have a mask for any and all shtfantasy.

I think a CBRN mask is totally worth having. Not because of the flu, but because I was able to justify buying rifle plates for some reason, and if we really surfing boog tubes, some sort of gas will most definitely be the first step of escalation in a beef with .gov. Seems logical to have a mask for any and all shtfantasy.
I wouldn’t consider it for anything else. A CBRN mask isn’t designed for flu prevention. Not unless you are making all the sick people wear them. But for SHTFTEOTWAWKIBOOGWARRIORWORLD, why not? I’m never going to use the dbal on my ar for anything other than shooting paper and steel, but it’s fun to have and go pew pew with it.

I have countless hours in gas masks, the good ones work but suck at the same time. I suggest having one filter in the front as opposed to two filters on each side. Thick rubber straps to tighten mask too. That’s my 2 cents

I wouldn’t consider it for anything else. A CBRN mask isn’t designed for flu prevention. Not unless you are making all the sick people wear them. But for SHTFTEOTWAWKIBOOGWARRIORWORLD, why not? I’m never going to use the dbal on my ar for anything other than shooting paper and steel, but it’s fun to have and go pew pew with it.

Exactly. It's all about the IG flex. Plus, showing up the statehouse rallies with rifles and armor in Hawaiian shirts is so January, CBRN masks are the new Barret.

Hate to break it to folks....but if you think you're going to continuously function/operate with a CBRN mask on to avoid corona virus you're fooling yourself

You're going to go out in public, its going to get on your clothing, shoes, etc and without some sort of significant decontamination plan and a lot of isopropyl alcohol/etc you're going to contaminate yourself and rub the shit in your eyes/mouth etc.....

The best way to avoid this and other disease is to change your habits......wash your hands, keep them out of your eyes/mouth
Yup. Dr. BMF was griping about this last night. Wearing a mask isn’t going to help you unless you take a bunch of other precautions as well. A CBRN mask for long term? No way. They are for short term trips into or escaping from inhospitable environments.

This is what I use for woodworking, and may resort to using if this stupid virus gets out of control.

That will definitely work for woodworking and coronavirus, but will do nothing for the things a CBRN mask is made for (toxic gases, biological agents, etc).

I would recommend wearing this at all times. You never know when tehCoronabirus is gonna strike.

naked-gun-full-body-condom.png

That will definitely work for woodworking and coronavirus, but will do nothing for the things a CBRN mask is made for (toxic gases, biological agents, etc).

From original post. . .

All the coronavirus stuff has got me looking at newer CBRN masks,

Everyone just calm down. Or take your panic to the "TEOTWAWKI" thread - wherever it is.

Hate to break it to folks....but if you think you're going to continuously function/operate with a CBRN mask on to avoid corona virus you're fooling yourself

You're going to go out in public, its going to get on your clothing, shoes, etc and without some sort of significant decontamination plan and a lot of isopropyl alcohol/etc you're going to contaminate yourself and rub the shit in your eyes/mouth etc.....

The best way to avoid this and other disease is to change your habits......wash your hands, keep them out of your eyes/mouth
And don’t touch any of that contaminated cash in your daily routines. [banana]

Those are the best value for the money. Add some Goggles and you are good to go.

Filters are easy to find. The ones that come inside a plastic thing are expensive, but the round filters are fairly cheap.

Yep - I have a couple boxes of filters that I purchased long before this coronavirus outbreak.

I'm fond of Drager masks. I bought one brand new (not reconditioned) 5 years ago for $50 (the fear of gas attack or pandemics was much lower at the time) and found it to be an excellent mask with butyl rubber, large visibility window and the best/easiest sealing mask I've tried. (I'm prior military also) It also mates up with the 6-position stock of an M4 extremely well. It uses standard 40mm NATO thread cartridges, so finding cans is not hard (and CBRN cans are out there)

Now, $ 50 bucks may sound like "Oh, those are gonna be junk", but they are not. They actually seam military-grade. German-military grade...
They are available now on ebay with many choices available (for now.) I think civvies think "That's too much" so only those in the know are buying...

Good luck in your hunt...
Drager mask | eBay

I got the FPS7000, well 2 of them I liked them so much I bought a second. [wink]
Started with the Drager-CDR-4500-R55440, and loved them but wanted more options.
They are now in my brother's preps.
s-l640.jpg

And keep both with spare cans in a M42/45 USGI carrier.

img56646475.jpg

One for the truck, one for the home.
I also have some 'Practice' cans to train with. Great for hot-swaps of the canisters...

Last edited:
I have looked at the MIRA Safety CM-6M, they have a discount code for us protected class. My only hesitation is idk how it would work with my binos, because what's the point of owning a mask if you cant post baller pictures of your hard larps?

Why? Do you go to MOPP4 every year for flu season?

Why do you need an AR15 to protect your house in new hampshire? Scared the Russians are gonna invade and steal your maple syrup or your neighbor's junk cars?

Last edited:

Lol yeah, im not talking about wearing a gas mask to CVS. If it gets to that point ill be staying home.

Im talking more so like what @edmwas saying, just in case.

I’ve used that M53 extensively. Lots of both gas chamber and shooting time in it. Great mask. But damn, you’re gonna pay for one. As with all masks, fit and maintenance are crucial. If you aren’t familiar with the PMS required, make sure you get a maintenance plan set up. Love the 1 piece lens. Good comms piece. It would be my go to if I was looking for a CBRNE mask.

Ive basically narrowed it down to an M53 or an LBM, ill probably wait until this all blows over because ive got a few M40s ive gotten in tax return over the years.

Will the 53 accept M40 canisters?

Ive basically narrowed it down to an M53 or an LBM, ill probably wait until this all blows over because ive got a few M40s ive gotten in tax return over the years.

Will the 53 accept M40 canisters?

Those masks do look cool, but if they dont take the NATO standard cans, I'd pass. But I dont really IG flex so what do I know.

Those masks do look cool, but if they dont take the NATO standard cans, I'd pass. But I dont really IG flex so what do I know.

Im pretty sure they will take any 40mm nato thread canister, the m53 specific canister just conforms closer to the mask.

I was so happy when I was issued the brand new in plastic, no old spit yo clean, M50 mask. I put it on, attached the voicemitter, and drove home. Scared the crap out of my kids when they met me in the garage.

Even though I liked that mask, I think I’ll keep my pledge of not wearing another one.

Back
Top Bottom