School me on .44 magnum

A shotgun in your hand is magnitudes better moose protection than a handgun on your hip. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about redundancy, and I carry a .357 every time I hunt. But if I was were worried about dangerous game I'd just keep my shotgun loaded until I was out of the woods.

OP,

Just buy a $500 Glock 20, some hardcast lead from either BB, Underwood, or DT and call it a day.

It's lighter, cheaper, easier to control, and you won't really care too much if you drop it in the lake and lose it. Carry them in a HPG chest rig for convenience.

Years ago we were up in the White Mountains and came across a Moose and her baby walking near the road.

A half a dozen cars stopped taking pictures real easy from the car. A couple young girls got out of the car in front of us to get closer.

My kids asked if we could, I said no were smarter then them. Plenty of great photos no need to scare or threaten them.

Last edited:
A shotgun in your hand is magnitudes better moose protection than a handgun on your hip. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about redundancy, and I carry a .357 every time I hunt. But if I was were worried about dangerous game I'd just keep my shotgun loaded until I was out of the woods.

Long guns are great until you need to use your hands and have to set it down or sling it on your back.

They are also great until you decide to relax and leave it setting against a tree or your pack.

Note where this guy has his stainless shotgun.

Years ago we were up in the White Mountains and came across a Moose and her baby walking near the road.

A half a dozen cars stooped taking pictures real easy from the car. A couple young girls got out of the car in front of us to get closer.

My kids asked if we could, I said no were smarter then them. Plenty of great photos no need to scare to threaten them.

A cow with her calf will go from peacefully munching leaves to putting a front hoof through your chest in half a second if she wants.

They're worse than bears by far.

We had a moose in the road in front of our house on Christmas morning. I was thinking about an airsoft to move it out of the road. My daughter came to the door and screamed when she saw it so close and startled the crap out of the moose. It was hysterical, five seconds of full body “WTF is that noise” before it left the road for the sidewalk.

Maybe you could scream like a girl?

And the first mistake the guy in the video made was not having a round chambered
I would say the first mistake was being an idiot and try to approach the Moose. I know he was trying to get by, but the Moose wasn't moving.

The second mistake was not having a round chambered.

Third mistake - not holding the Glock sideways. F*cking noob.

Last edited:
First mistake may have been not shutting his engine off and just letting the moose go about his business for a few minutes until it leaves.

People are f***ing retarded. “I’ll rev my engine and approach the giant animal quickly on my motorized machine to scare it away” and then taken by surprise when it stands its ground…ground it had prior to the retarded snomobiliers coming through.

I’m all for ethical hunting, but I kinda wish the moose was allowed to win that fight. f*** that moron.
Used to snowmobile alot up north alot in the 80s and 90s. Came across moose in the trail 3 times......when the snow is deep they like to walk the packed down trails so moose / snowmobile encounters are not rare.. I remember all 3 times like it was yesterday. Hit the brakes and stop.....kill the engine and stayed still. All three times the moose walked into the woods after a minute or so. Reving the engine and charging the moose with a snowmobile is stupid.

The op was turkey hunting. Do you hunt turkey with buckshot or slugs?

Used to snowmobile alot up north alot in the 80s and 90s. Came across moose in the trail 3 times......when the snow is deep they like to walk the packed down trails so moose / snowmobile encounters are not rare.. I remember all 3 times like it was yesterday. Hit the brakes and stop.....kill the engine and stayed still. All three times the moose walked into the woods after a minute or so. Reving the engine and charging the moose with a snowmobile is stupid.

Exactly. Wild animals typically want absolutely nothing to do with humans. We smell and taste funny to most.

The shit dick with the body cam should be charged with poaching at the very least. I’ve been pissed all morning that the guy lived through the first charge. f*** that guy.

Exactly. Wild animals typically want absolutely nothing to do with humans. We smell and taste funny to most.

The shit dick with the body cam should be charged with poaching at the very least. I’ve been pissed all morning that the guy lived through the first charge. f*** that guy.
Agreed.

Now.....all that said.....I'd still carry a heavy hitting side arm when snowmobiling way up in the north woods. Wild animals are unpredictable.......its still possible to stop and wait.....not aggravate the animal (do everything right) and still get charged. Basically the side arm is the last resort after NOT provoking the animal.

Did I miss something or was that whole situation completely avoidable and unnecessary and wasteful.
Up until what looked like contact at :44 seconds he could have tried to fire into the ground and see if it ran off. After .44 seconds... he was within his right.
Had he been hiking on foot... he might have been killed.
Now, if he popped a moose off to the side of him as he passed and it wasn't bothering him? That would have been a douche move.

Once deemed a threat... took action. Lousy optics for sure though. Not everything needs a video, and I fault him more for that... thinking.png

Your GP100 in .357 Mag is more than sufficient for anything you'll encounter east of the Rockies and it is much easier for most people to shoot accurately and quickly. Buy some full power hard cast ammo with it and practice with that ammo.

This one trampled these sled dogs before being killed an hour later. That is the sled they are still tethered to, just right of the dogs and tipped over.
skynews-bridgett-watkins-moose_5667699.jpg

But the moose went back to her sled and began stamping on the dogs still tethered to it, standing over them and trampling them repeatedly for more than an hour.

Last edited:
I would say the first mistake was being an idiot and try to approach the Moose. I know he was trying to get by, but the Moose wasn't moving.

The second mistake was not having a round chambered.

Third mistake - not holding the Glock sideways. F*cking noob.
I stand corrected, you are correct he never should have engaged the Moose

sideways_gun_sight.jpg

Have you every fired a 44 magnum? They aren't "insane" recoil.....but they aren't for everyone.
First time firing one was October 2021. I expected a good amount of recoil so like you said, it wasn't insane. I will say that after firing the fifth round, the pain in my hand increased to a point of needing a few seconds rest before firing the sixth round. I would also suspect if you needed to fire to save your life from a bear or a moose, you wouldn't feel a thing, until after you changed your drawers!

Up until what looked like contact at :44 seconds he could have tried to fire into the ground and see if it ran off. After .44 seconds... he was within his right.
Had he been hiking on foot... he might have been killed.
Now, if he popped a moose off to the side of him as he passed and it wasn't bothering him? That would have been a douche move.

Once deemed a threat... took action. Lousy optics for sure though. Not everything needs a video, and I fault him more for that... View attachment 702652

He caused the encounter.

First time firing one was October 2021. I expected a good amount of recoil so like you said, it wasn't insane. I will say that after firing the fifth round, the pain in my hand increased to a point of needing a few seconds rest before firing the sixth round. I would also suspect if you needed to fire to save your life from a bear or a moose, you wouldn't feel a thing, until after you changed your drawers!
I never reloaded 44, but after reloading 45acp, 460, 458win mag, 45/70 ...

All these large calibers can be loaded from "f*ck your wrists" to "this feels like a .22".

Someone here will say "Broc, loading down a 44 used to defend yourself is a stupid idea" ... and I would agree with that. But, you don't need to load it so soft that it is ineffective, you can load it down just a bit to make shooting it more pleasant and more accurate while still having a hard hitting round.

Usually when I meet people that say "that round s*cks to shoot", they were shooting some hot AF rounds.

And the first mistake the guy in the video made was not having a round chambered
No, first mistake was not giving the moose a wider berth from the get-go. Unless he was rushing a baby to the hospital etc. I don't see the point of pushing the moose so he could continue f-ing around on his snowmobile. Pushing the moose was what pissed it off.

Back
Top Bottom