• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on .44 magnum

Yikes.....I'll stick with my 5 inch 629.
My woods sidearm is a 5” 629 if we are going on a deep exploration but for our normal dirt roads a 365 or 220 depending on dress for the 2 legged nut bags. My buddy ran into one 3 times in one day that made both him and his gf a tad nervous. When she asked him if he brought his gun he hadn’t.
They know I’m carrying and don’t even ask me anymore. Funny part is she’s not even a real gun person. Not against them in anyway just is fine without her owning one.

Is that a model 69 combat mag?

When I bought my 4 inch 629 last year I was considering the model 69 and decided I actually want to shoot this thing at the range a bit......and that model 69 just looked like it was gonna hurt like hell to actually shoot.
Yup. That’s it. Going to suck to shoot. But that’s kinda why I wanted it.

Is that a model 69 combat mag?

When I bought my 4 inch 629 last year I was considering the model 69 and decided I actually want to shoot this thing at the range a bit......and that model 69 just looked like it was gonna hurt like hell to actually shoot.
Shot it today. Not too bad. I put 40 rounds through it and shot a few more powerful pistols along side it.

Hand and wrist are fine.

Was expecting worse. Shot a .45 after. Felt like a .22 though.

Shot it today. Not too bad. I put 40 rounds through it and shot a few more powerful pistols along side it.

Hand and wrist are fine.

Was expecting worse. Shot a .45 after. Felt like a .22 though.
44 special is a cream puff round through that gun. and an under appreciated round.
The Son of Sam used it to great effect. Granted, it's not Magnum power, but the bullet is still 44 caliber. And on 2 legged meat popsicles, will do the job

Yesterday I shot 15 rounds frim a 44 mag 3" barrel. (Thank you @chris_1001 )

I don't know what you all talk about your wrists hurting, it was awesome, I loved it.

I see a 44 mag in my future.

I was more accurate with that gun than my 9mm 365 🤔

Yesterday I shot 15 rounds frim a 44 mag 3" barrel. (Thank you @chris_1001 )

I don't know what you all talk about your wrists hurting, it was awesome, I loved it.

I see a 44 mag in my future.

I was more accurate with that gun than my 9mm 365 🤔
That’s because even missing the steel plate by a little with the .44 mag still caused it to faint with fear! Lol

And thanks to @Broc for letting me shoot both the .460 mag and the .45-70.

Honestly both were not nearly as bad as I had expected. But as I said above, the made a .45 feel like a .22 after!

My 44 magnum is crazy accurate and most importantly, easy to shoot accurately. I think most revolvers are just more accurate than even high quality semi's.
I'm not sure why, but maybe someone smarter than me can explain it.
Both revolvers and recoil operated locked breech semi-autos have fundamental design issues that affect accuracy.

With most modern centerfire semi-autos, the barrel and the slide move independently. And since the sights are on the slide, the alignment between the sights and the barrel is not absolutely fixed from shot to shot.

With revolvers, there are multiple different chambers, and if the alignment of each chamber behind the barrel is not absolutely identical, then accuracy will suffer.

If you consider the designs, then semi-autos have the potential to be more accurate, since having a single chamber that is attached to the barrel is a better design for accuracy. And all the rest of the tolerances can be tightened to create a rock solid lockup with the slide. However, a truly rock solid lockup requires hand fitting by an expert, and moves the price into the range of full custom guns.

With the tolerances you can get in a modern manufactured item under $1500, then revolvers tend to do much better for accuracy. Even if the cylinder and chambers are not perfect, the revolver still gives you a rigid frame, barrel, and sights.

Last edited:
OP here.

So I went out to the gun shop and really liked the Ruger Alaskan and decided to buy it. While there I also really liked the S&W 629 with a 5” barrel and bought one of those also!

Range day was today. I shot some heavy magnum loads out of both and some 44special also.

The 44 special is a pussycat out of both. Both are accurate. The single action on both are good enough that I can’t really tell the difference. The double action on the Smith is sooooo much better than on the Ruger.

The big difference for me was the felt recoil was much greater on the Smith. It was not comfortable at all to shoot. That exposed steel back strap is a terrible design. The web of my hand felt like I caught a big league fastball barehanded. Ok maybe that’s a tad dramatic but it was significant recoil. The Ruger however ate up a ton of recoil and it was no more fearsome than my gp100 shooting hot 357.

Are there better grips to be had that will tame the 629? Most of the rubber grips I see online don’t cover the exposed metal back strap which I think is the issue.

Do you reload? I own both the Ruger and the S&W and the difference in felt recoil is significant. I simply load down anything I intent to shoot out of the S&W. I'm not overly sensitive to recoil. I shoot a 500 and a 12 gauge pistol with slugs. The 500 has a rubber grip that covers the backstrap. Maybe you can find something like that for the 629 but it will make the grip larger front to back.

To answer your initial posting, a 4" 629 (or now in your case, a 5") in a Galco vertical shoulder holster system with the wide strap option is very comfortable and there are a number of options to choose from as attachments to your weak side. As for the "system" part is you can still use most of it for other firearms by simply buying the proper holster and or attachments that you may want. For your above question, there are many choices to choose from for replacement grips. Start with hogue and work from there. If you have a style in mind, even better.

Just adding, 629's are round butts if you're unsure. A round butt grip will give it more rise much like a western six shooter. A round to square will give it more back push.

I'm sure you can load 460 and 500 to be pretty mild, but 44 special through a big wheel gun is like shooting a 22.

Yes to the 500 but the 460 being more versatile in that it can also use the 45 Colt and .454 Cas, you pretty much already have an up and down scale through factory loadings if you don't reload. Naturally, you would need to readjust the POA, POI as like in any convertible.

I don’t reload. I doubt I’ll get into it at this point. I have too many hobbies and other responsibilities to add another one. I’m looking for something like the ruger grip that has an actual rubber pillow inside the grip. I kid you not

I’m looking for something like the ruger grip that has an actual rubber pillow inside the grip. I kid you not
I haven't used these, but they seem to fit the description of what you're looking for.

Per Wikipedia (I know, I know), the Alaskan uses a Hogue Tamer grip.

Last edited:
OP here.

So I went out to the gun shop and really liked the Ruger Alaskan and decided to buy it. While there I also really liked the S&W 629 with a 5” barrel and bought one of those also!

Range day was today. I shot some heavy magnum loads out of both and some 44special also.

The 44 special is a pussycat out of both. Both are accurate. The single action on both are good enough that I can’t really tell the difference. The double action on the Smith is sooooo much better than on the Ruger.

The big difference for me was the felt recoil was much greater on the Smith. It was not comfortable at all to shoot. That exposed steel back strap is a terrible design. The web of my hand felt like I caught a big league fastball barehanded. Ok maybe that’s a tad dramatic but it was significant recoil. The Ruger however ate up a ton of recoil and it was no more fearsome than my gp100 shooting hot 357.

Are there better grips to be had that will tame the 629? Most of the rubber grips I see online don’t cover the exposed metal back strap which I think is the issue.
My 629 came with 3 sets of grips. The rubber ones are very comfortable. I’ve never used the stock grips and the wood target grips will cut you where you’re right thumb meets your hand lol.

No but I need an optometrist appointment now.

Only a curiosity but do they make a shorter scope mount for the snub nose with the pipe welded on the front to hang a double ended dildo off of?

I'm just busting them.

No, really.

OP here.

Ruger revolver triggers are a bit rough out of the box but can be cleaned up pretty easy. Shoot it a bit and look for scratches on the hammer. It comes out easily and you can polish the places where the scratches come from. The recoil springs are easy to replace but can affect reliability (light hammer strikes). I also use Trigger Shims and they make a surprising amount of improvement: Ruger Double Action Shim Kits to Reduce Trigger Pull

They are easy to install (and easy to lose if dropped, ask me how I know)

Usual warning, don't mod a gun you depend your life on.

Ruger revolver triggers are a bit rough out of the box but can be cleaned up pretty easy. Shoot it a bit and look for scratches on the hammer. It comes out easily and you can polish the places where the scratches come from. The recoil springs are easy to replace but can affect reliability (light hammer strikes). I also use Trigger Shims and they make a surprising amount of improvement: Ruger Double Action Shim Kits to Reduce Trigger Pull

The Alaskan I bought used and it has been fired a bit from the looks of it. I agree with Ruger triggers smoothing out with use. I love my gp100. It has a nice double action after a few hours dry firing and many range visits. The smith and Wesson trigger though … outstanding

I have the itch to get a sidearm that could protect me and my fellow hunters from moose and bears while out in the woods.

I got spooked by a Bull moose who looked surprised by me and two friends when we came up behind him on a trail after a morning of sitting in the woods turkey hunting. The three of us came up on him as we came over a 40’ high ridge, on a trail in some thick new growth pine. He was about 20 yards of the trail in ankle deep swamp. We saw his fresh tracks in the mud on the way back to the truck and we kept quiet in the hopes of catching a glimpse of something big. We must have been right behind him as his tracks went right into the swamp where we found him. He looked over his shoulder, all 700 lbs looked uneasy. I had already unloaded my shotgun and one of the other guys did too. The moose took off, away from us but I got to thinking that I was in danger for a minute there. So I’m thinking about adding a large caliber side arm in a chest/shoulder rig in the odd chance I come across a big animal in a mood to tussle.

I have a gp100 in 357 and it’s a fine gun. Im not sure it would be enough to kill a moose or a bear. A relative of mine says that going from 357 to 44 magnum is a huge increase firepower, for lack of a better term.

Do you have an opinion whether to invest in a revolver in .44 magnum and a rig for wilderness carry?
What more than do you need to know

View: https://youtu.be/X0lvp7a7pmk

I had Greg Derr do a trigger job on my Ruger super redhawk years and years ago. Made a big difference

Back
Top Bottom