• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SC Female homeowner fatally shoots escaped inmate who kicked in her door, sheriff says

What does a carry permit have to do with shooting someone inside your home?

Sure, this particular issue happened at home, but open carry in SC is prohibited, so unless you're a house hermit, you'll need the CWP permit to protect yourself at all times. The sheriff was just saying it was important to protect yourself at all times.

Should have gut shot him so he could have contemplated his poor choices as he bled out.

Heh, your post reminds of 'Reservoir Dogs'. Quick search suggests I probably shouldn't link any of that material lol!

-chris

Sure, this particular issue happened at home, but open carry in SC is prohibited, so unless you're a house hermit, you'll need the CWP permit to protect yourself at all times. The sheriff was just saying it was important to protect yourself at all times.

Seems like a bit of a strange tangent by the sheriff though, as CWP was not really relevant. It's like when everyone kept talking about "Stand Your Ground" with Zimmerman, though those laws were not relevant in his case and was not offered as a defense. Details seem not to matter much to those on soapboxes.

“This is the shining example of what this lady did. She took the time to get her CWP and set herself up to be able to protect herself and not be harmed, killed or raped or whatever,” Clark said. “She came out on the good on this end and the bad guy didn’t.”

Wow, so this is what normal sounds like, I’ve been behind the iron curtain for so long I had forgotten.

The thread title appears to be wrong as this happened in Pickens County (NW) SC and not in Wisconsin. Although the article does jumble some of this up

Also, no way to determine the guilt or innocence of the shooter, sans pics

“...was armed with a metal knife...”

Odd comment - justification for shooting him with a metal gun? Too bad he didn’t have a 3D-printed plastic knife.

Last edited:
Another inmate, identified as Timothy Dill, also escaped the jail. They allegedly beat up two guards as part of their escape, which they planned for days.

The sheriff said that other inmates tried to help the guards as they were being attacked. McLaughlin and Dill stole the guards’ keys and locked them in a room, but the other inmates broke the door down.​

Translation: other inmates know there's no percentage is screwing with the guards,
because the jail's run like a jail not a resort spa.

When my father arrived at his Upstate NY county sheriff's office
for his handgun permit appointment,
the deputy sez to an inmate sweeping up:

Get Mr. M a cup of coffee.​

And the guy hopped to it, too.

(Just imagine a world where in all licensing appointments
the applicants are treated like Queen for a Day,
rather than another one of the inmates).

Seems like a bit of a strange tangent by the sheriff though, as CWP was not really relevant. It's like when everyone kept talking about "Stand Your Ground" with Zimmerman, though those laws were not relevant in his case and was not offered as a defense. Details seem not to matter much to those on soapboxes.

If you watched the whole press conference, it'd make more sense to you. The Sheriff mentions the CWP training and preparation as being a key factor, and he applauds the (unnamed) woman for having been prepared. He also mentions that he is a CWP instructor, and that cases like this are the reason why he believes in it.

At the moment, I can't find the full (13-plus minute) press conference on YouTube, but here is a short clip (1 minute, from the 13-plus minute press conference):

Sheriff hails "hero" homeowner who fatally shot escaped inmate

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfP54726D70

CWP training in SC is a one day affair. Anyone who has every shot a gun before can pass it, and people who have never shot a gun before often pass it anyway. This isn't a criticism, as I don't see any reason for extensive training being required. Being "CWP trained" is basically saying you can hit a target at 5 yards enough times and managed not to shoot yourself or others. 35 of 50 hits anywhere on a full size target is passing, with shots ranging from 3 to 15 yards.

Still seems like a weird tangent to me. Her CWP is irrelevant. An unlicensed, 3 times a year hobby shooter is better trained than someone who has taken a CWP course.

A lady that works with my brother had a break in last year. She heard something crash in the middle of the night. She grabbed her pistol and went down stairs. In the dark she could just make out the silhouette of someone. She shot him 3 times. He fell and started screaming for his friends that were waiting outside. She said she wasn't sure where she hit him and how bad he was injured. She said in a low voice "if you get up I will shoot you again". He yelled to his friends and asked them for help. The friends yelled encouragement to him and threats to her from outside but decided not to enter. She waited in the dark until the friends drove away and she couldn't hear him breathing anymore. Not sure how much time passed before she called 911.

When the cops arrived they said "good shoot" and radioed to tell the ambulance they didn't need to hurry.

Back
Top Bottom