Savage 12

KMM696

NES Member
I've been accumulating parts for a Model 12 Savage in 223, and just got the recoil lug. So, I got to start putting it together today.

Most of the parts - Shilen 1-8" 223 barrel, Northland Shooters Supply recoil lug and the bolt handle are the only parts not Savage. Target weight Accutrigger in the bag.

uzba
i-6wt3x7L-L.jpg

Wheeler wrench and gauges, home-grown receiver vise (with protective masking tape).

DeTr
i-vTfb7vq-L.jpg

Tightening locknut after headspacing.

HT0S
i-2kTj9hF-L.jpg

Headspaced, and ready to start stock fitting.

dRYL
i-Q4MPw9h-L.jpg

Stockade Woodchuck stock prepped for bedding - sanded, and drilled some small holes for the Devcon to grab.

MLlw
i-FmhmD2R-L.jpg

Waiting for epoxy to dry - blue is either masking tape or clay, depending.

JOn6
i-KGXMbBv-L.jpg

I intended to take more pics as I went, but I found it difficult to stop what I was doing just to take a picture. So, once the epoxy sets up I need to clean up the bedding & modeling clay, do some clearance sanding on the stock around the back of the action, and install the trigger and magazine. Oh, and find some stainless 1/4-28 bolts for the action. After that, scope and shoot!!

[smile]

Somebody let me know if the pictures are posting - I'm trying a new photo host out.

EDIT: updated pic URLs

Last edited:
pics work. looks good man!

PS: ALL my stuff is on backorder. the duramaxx coat and the scope i ordered for mine.

+1 to you for walking the walk.
That looks like a cool/fun little project. I may have to add building a bolt gun to my to-do list.

pics work. looks good man!

PS: ALL my stuff is on backorder. the duramaxx coat and the scope i ordered for mine.

I guess it's not just AR parts that are in short supply - bummer.

I didn't check the amount of clearance between the recoil lug and the stock on my rifle, so I didn't use enough Devcon. I can't get a picture of it, but the bedded surface for the lug looks like crap, if I do say so myself. [frown] I have to grind it down and redo it - just the lug, though. I might be able to get that tonight, but then I still need to put everything else together tomorrow. I'm not sure if that will give me time to shoot it - and I'm not sure if I have any actual 223 ammo, either. Hmmmm.....

This work thing is getting in the way of my shooting again.

Back
Top Bottom