Savage 10FP stuff... long list of needs

Ray, until you handload, try a box of Winchester 168gr Silvertips. They are easier to find than Federal match, (we stock them at DSG) and at least for me, drive tacks...Not sure how they'll function in your rifle, but it's worth a shot, (pun intended)...[wink]

BTW - Sweet rifle! [cheers]

How do you like that stock? I have read that they are heavy. The Federal match 168gr ammo is pretty good if you can find it....and afford it. That rifle is begging for handloads....

milsurps! post pics of your groups!

i need to check in w / stockystocks to check the status of my order.

it's been a few weeks and my scope came in yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the stock and have 2 other similar Choate stocks on different rifles. Only thing I noticed was the tang sits high on the stock so I called Choate to ask them why. I gave them the model numbers of the stock and rifle and they said both they're compatible but because Savage has such a long trigger and so many different variations they had to make the stock fit accordingly.

I'll probably take it to the range again this Sunday after getting some different ammo at the Fitchburg show and take some pics then.

I've been curious about the Choate stocks - just haven't tried one yet. Some interesting features, kind of odd looking, and reasonably priced as stocks go. Some fitting required seems to be standard for aftermarket stocks, I wouldn't be too surprised if Choate needed it too.

I've got my Savage 12 I put together still sitting in the 'to be tested' section of the safe. Too busy to get to the range, which just sucks. A pair of 223s need their first run, the Savage and a White Oak barreled NES AR. Grrrr.....working late again today, too. This sucks.

[thinking]

I got the EGW from Midway. They also make a 20 MOA elevated one, and an extended 20 MOA for more money. Aluminum, but very nice one piece mount.

well i'm looking to get a base and some lower rings. i'm looking on there now.

the scope is 8-32x44, so i'd like to go as low as possible.

i'm guessing that base piece would work, but looking at milsurps, i'd want mine a tad bit lower.

i swear, i must have slight OCD.

well i'm looking to get a base and some lower rings. i'm looking on there now.

the scope is 8-32x44, so i'd like to go as low as possible.

i'm guessing that base piece would work, but looking at milsurps, i'd want mine a tad bit lower.

i swear, i must have slight OCD.

I went with the low Warne Maxima 30mm rings and that was the lowest I could get. I normally like my scopes low enough to where I can only put 3 or 4 playing cards between them and the barrel but I couldn't find anything low enough the way Savage rifles are set up.

I believe it is the barrel length. A few months after I purchased mine (a couple of years ago), the rifle could not be had in that barrel length (LE only). I don't know if Savage turned around on that or not....last I checked the 10FP came in 24".

Not trying to make a big deal about it...just curious. It looks like all the LE models including the one I have coming are either 24 or 20 inches. I have a 223 that I purchaced last year with a 26" barrel. I did not see anything on the web site, where did you get your info from...The varmint guns have the 26 inch barrels, F class guns have 30s, doesn't seem to make sense.

Last edited:
[banana]

just my quantum view e-mail from UPS and an e-mail from stockystocks.com.

my stock should arrive on 4/8/2009.

[rolleyes] to my work - so i'll have to mosey over to get it.

No better reason to have to go to work!!!

That's the maxguard finished stock, right? Let us know how it looks when you get it in!!

Edit: replace'd Duramaxx with Maxxguard. -don't know why i'm thinking about engine oil, or whatever the hell duramaxx is.

OK, so I picked it up today. It almost feels like a Hogue with the maxxguard finish on there. it is definitely worth the wait. I will mount it soon; I want to have my lower rings in hand, because I’m tired of messing with it. When I mount it, it will be clean and done!

pics:

DSCN0583.jpg

DSCN0584.jpg

I also stopped by Dicks in Danvers, MA to look through their order book.

I can order the HS Precision ($839) or McMillan ($1089) 10FCP from there. 50% down, 50% upon delivery. -good to know.

The reason I mention this is I’m already planning my .308 build. I snatched a 20x42 Super Sniper off here a few nights ago for $250. It should be on its way.

The Bell & Carlson stock feels good to me, nice recoil pad, nice - solid feel to it. it was $260 something after shipping. Soooooo

Here is my dilema:

The 10 FCP has a clip (detachable box magazine) that I don't really care for. It's just me, so I'm almost going to go with another 10FP, which I can order as well for $489 + $260(ish) for another B&C maxxguard stock and that would put at $100 less than the 10FCP -HS Precision. $750 + $250 + rings + bi-pod = ????

I'm kinda hooked on Savage, but that build will put me at over $1k when you add the scope, rings, bi-pod ect.

So, I'm more than likely going to pick up a Remington 700 SPS (dealer exclusive) for $610 - as of today at Four Seasons, and + $250 for the SS.

That would put me at $860 with only needing a bi-pod and scope rings….

Thoughts? [laugh]

would you go with what you know (Savage) or go with the Remington.

I don't want to turn this into a Savage vs. Remington.... Strictly based on trying to stay below $1k, given the facts.

JC, The McMillan still has to bedded after you get it from what I understand. The HS has a bedding block and is ready to go out of the box. I just got My HS yesterday and the stock is great. I have a pic posted in the April NA thread. If it were me I would stay with Savage

Last edited:
your rifle looks great man!

edit: all set [laugh]

i almost shit a brick just now.

That stock looks really good - I'm not sure if I can hold out long enough to see how that coating on yours holds up. I may just have to order one, and see how it goes.

Oh, and 'Duramaxx' is one of B&Cs stock models, which is probably how it slipped in to your post in place of 'Maxxguard'.

I haven't been able to find anyone who's ground a lefty bolt notch into a Medalist stock yet, so I may have to be the first one to find out the hard way if the aluminum stock frame is in the way. I just emailed B&C, hopefully they will be able to tell me before I start breaking stuff!!

ahhh crap! i couldn't wait.

scope rings and base (similar to above) are en route. If they are too low for the 44mm objective, i'll throw the super sniper on here and toy with the barska later.

i like the way it looks and feels.

installation took a whopping 5 min... that's going slooooow. also, the rear screw for the trigger guard is not required. i suppose i could have drilled a pilot hole, but it's held in place just fine with the front one. other than that, it's nice.

pics:

DSCN0597.jpg

DSCN0598.jpg

That's niiiiice......

I have a 10FLP that would look good wearing that. Not that the Duramaxx is bad, you understand, it's just not that stock.

I'm pretty sure the only purpose of the rear triggerguard screw is to keep the triggerguard from falling off the stock when it's taken off the rifle.

thanks...

i'd like to compare this stock to 1903's HS Precision.

if you order, definatley get the maxxguard finish. it gives it a non-slip feel... almost like a Hogue (which I like).

after mounting this, i think the .308 will mirror this one. [laugh] twins!

[banana] got home a little while ago - long day.

anyway, i was shocked that my parts from Midway were in my mailbox.

Warne 30mm Maxima Permanent-Attachable Weaver-Style Rings Matte Low

from midway

Weaver 1-Piece Multi Slot Tactical Base for Savage 10 Series Short Action Round Rear Matte

from midway

note: this is a test fit. i can't look out the window right now [laugh] so i'll tighten it up tomorrow.

i like it!

pic:

DSCN0599.jpg

Back
Top Bottom