• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Saltwater License?

I heard from a friend of mine that starting this January, you have to buy a license in order to legally saltwater fish. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how much will it cost?
Thanks.

Yup it is true.. Actually, New England is one of the last areas to have implemented salt water permits. I will refuse to get one and they can ticket me...

You needed one this past season too. However, it was free from the feds. There were some times when the EPO's were out looking for people without them.

Buddy told me MA EPO's were writing tickets for those without a license in Salem harbor late this summer. He was checked and had it so no ticket for him.

I heard from a friend of mine that starting this January, you have to buy a license in order to legally saltwater fish. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how much will it cost?
Thanks.
Yes, true a saltwater will be required next year. $10.00 for the lic. And to the guy who heard the EPO's were ticketing this season in Salem. Not true. This season was only a Fed. registry and was free. It was put in place to get an idea as to how many people were recreational fishermen. (i think it was to see how much money will be generated) No ticket written because no laws were broken whether you had it or not. If people are still interested in this new fee, tax, permit or what ever they call it go to the DMF website.

"Stakeholders insisted that the new state law establish a dedicated saltwater recreational fishing fund and that 1/3 of annual appropriated permit funds will be devoted to public access projects. They determined that a $10 individual permit fee for resident and non-resident anglers alike would be substantially lower than the fee proposed by the federal government for 2011 yet high enough to add benefits for the Commonwealth’s recreational fisheries and fishermen."

I agree it's a PITA, and this state is nickel and diming us to death will all these fees, but it seems in this case, the state is working in our best interests.

"Stakeholders insisted that the new state law establish a dedicated saltwater recreational fishing fund and that 1/3 of annual appropriated permit funds will be devoted to public access projects. They determined that a $10 individual permit fee for resident and non-resident anglers alike would be substantially lower than the fee proposed by the federal government for 2011 yet high enough to add benefits for the Commonwealth’s recreational fisheries and fishermen."

I agree it's a PITA, and this state is nickel and diming us to death will all these fees, but it seems in this case, the state is working in our best interests.
That assumes that the money will actually be used for that purpose.

December 8, 2010
MarineFisheries Advisory

RECREATIONAL SALTWATER FISHING PERMIT – PUBLIC HEARINGS SCHEDULED FOR: DECEMBER 8, 2010 and DECEMBER 15, 2010

Last November (2009), the Massachusetts legislature passed House Bill No. 4309 – An Act Instituting Saltwater Fishing Licenses. The Act requires the Division of Marine Fisheries to establish a “state recreational fishing permit program” in compliance with federal law. To meet deadlines for the upcoming permitting and fishing year, the regulations have been enacted under the Director’s emergency authority. Through the public hearing process, the public can review and make comments on adjustments to the rules.

Synopsis of new rules:

a) Requires all individuals recreationally fishing in the coastal waters of the Commonwealth, or landing marine species for recreational purposes in the Commonwealth to obtain a recreational fishing permit;

b) Requires all for-hire vessel operators to inform passengers and visibly post pertinent bag and size limitations and provide measuring devices for use by patrons;

c) Establishes a penalty schedule for non-compliance;

d) Allows for 3rd party agents to sell permits on behalf of the Commonwealth;

e) Establishes permitting exemptions for:

i. disabled persons;

ii. persons under 16 years of age;

iii. those fishing aboard lawfully permitted for-hire vessels;

iv. those retaining fish caught under the authority of a commercial permit; and

v. those holding a valid recreational fishing license from a coastal state, that the Director has determined allows, through reciprocity agreement, similar exemption for persons from the Commonwealth;

f) Establishes annual permit fees and other service charges:

i. $10 resident and non-resident permit fee;

ii. $125 resident chart vessel permit and $625 non-resident charter permit fees; and

iii. $175 resident head boat permit fees and $855 non-resident head boat permit fees.

Two Public Hearings Have Been Scheduled:

· December 8, 2010 at Gloucester Public High School Auditorium, from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM (32 Leslie O Johnson Road, Gloucester, MA 01930).

· December 15, 2010 at Plymouth South High School Auditorium, from 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM (490 Long Pond Road, Plymouth, MA 02360)

a) Requires all individuals recreationally fishing in the coastal waters of the Commonwealth, or landing marine species for recreational purposes in the Commonwealth to obtain a recreational fishing permit;

Well there's the loop hole. I landed it for self defense.

So
v. those holding a valid recreational fishing license from a coastal state, that the Director has determined allows, through reciprocity agreement, similar exemption for persons from the Commonwealth;
Wow for once MA is cheaper than NH here we are $16.00

Last edited by a moderator:

In all seriousness, what if you land it for food? You don't need a permit?

Back
Top Bottom