Sailboat Keel - 1400 pounds of pure lead sweetness!

When the wife and I head up to Bridgton next month, I will be chuckling as soon as we cross the border while thinking of you guys scurrying about like chipmunks trying to reinvent the wheel. This will all be in black and white in my mind and there will only be one missing Stooge from the cast but still a lot of nyuck, nyucks to keep me giggling.

This is in no way meant to be demeaning as I am truly glad nobody was seriously hurt but I can't wait to see the pics. Heal quick Duke.

You have to go right past my house (well, within 10 minutes of here) to get to Bridgton.
Let me know if you wanna stop by for a beer.

We hope to have the rest of the keel cut up into good sizes soon, and should start the melt into ingots. I'm almost giggling thinking about how many 4 pound ingots this is......

BadLuther just sent me some of the images, and I have to run them through the processor to make them small enough to display in some kind of timely fashion.

I'll post them as soon as I can.

EC, can I put them up on another site, with descriptions, and then just link that here?

When the wife and I head up to Bridgton next month, I will be chuckling as soon as we cross the border while thinking of you guys scurrying about like chipmunks trying to reinvent the wheel. This will all be in black and white in my mind and there will only be one missing Stooge from the cast but still a lot of nyuck, nyucks to keep me giggling.

This is in no way meant to be demeaning as I am truly glad nobody was seriously hurt but I can't wait to see the pics. Heal quick Duke.

Here are the images, not sure if they will be in the right order.

Lino1: The 1400 pound keel weight on BadLuther's truck... a bit over loaded, I might add. Duke smiling like a Cheshire Cat
Lino2: Another view of the lead in it's raw form.
Lino3: Attaching the one ton engine hoist to the keel
Lino4: Starting to lift. The hoist was making LOTS of metal stretching noises. Had me worried.
Lino5: The keel was enough into the air that BadLuther drove the truck out from under it. Unfortunately, the hoist tipped over, since we were not working on a level surface. The keel left a earthquake crack in the driveway!
Lino6: We needed to separate the fiberglass keel structure from the lead itself. The fastest way we though of was to drive chisels in as wedges. That worked slick!
Lino7: The final piece of figerglass comes off.
Lino8: Now that we had the fiberglass off, we needed to remove the "bottom paint". We started off with a rotary air tool with steel fingers. Worked fine, but used too much air, and was slow. I tried my 7" grinder, and that was a very fast way to grind the bottom paint off. I used a respirator while doing this since there was tons of dangerous dust flying.
Lino9: Wiped the dust off so that you can see the lead. Notice the sawzall cut that took badLuther about ten minutes to do using a pruning blade. Time to grab the chainsaw!
Lino9a: The chainsaw was making very fast work of chunking up the lead.
Lino9b: See that piece at the bottom, hanging on? That's the piece that "BIT" me..... (not my shoe in the picture)

Attachments

• lino1.jpg
    lino1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 197
  • lino8.jpg
    lino8.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 181
  • lino6.jpg
    lino6.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 172
  • lino5.jpg
    lino5.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 204
  • lino7.jpg
    lino7.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 180
  • lino2.jpg
    lino2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 171
  • lino3.jpg
    lino3.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 150
  • lino4.jpg
    lino4.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 148
  • lino9a.jpg
    lino9a.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 180
  • lino9.jpg
    lino9.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
That is way smaller than I thought it would be. Looks nice cleaned up and the chainsaw does a bangup job as well. How many more are you going to pick up? [shocked]

For the relative small size, it's VERY heavy stuff.

One cubic foot of pure lead weighs 708 pounds. So, I am guessing that we have two cubic feet, all tolled.

Won't know for sure until we get it all into ingots, and do a tally.

What I DO know is that between the 2000 pounds of wheel weights I scored last winter, the linotype (most of which I have already committed to sell), and now this pure lead, the zombies don't have a chance.

That is way smaller than I thought it would be. Looks nice cleaned up and the chainsaw does a bangup job as well. How many more are you going to pick up? [shocked]

Gonna invest in some steel toes?

That is a lot of lead...but it looks a lot smaller than I thought it would. I was imagining something truly monstrous. Just goes to show how dense lead actually is...

Duke....sorry to hear about your foot. Dang you get some sweet deals up there. Been a while, and was checking in. Keep up the great work. Love your posts.

Jim

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Lets see it!

What I DO know is that between the 2000 pounds of wheel weights I scored last winter, the linotype (most of which I have already committed to sell), and now this pure lead, the zombies don't have a chance.

I'm tempted to gross everyone out with a photo of my left foot. It's not anywhere near what that finger in the press pic looked like.
Some free advice, take it for what it is worth, but I'd suggest using some of your lead sale proceeds to buy a pair of steel-toed shoes. They even come in boat shoe flavor. [wink]

Keep up the scrounging.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://s0.ilike.com/play%23Allan%2BSherman:Good%2BAdvice:998857:s30892 923.8808406.3546.0.2.136%252Cstd_8c7ece3e455c4990b deb00c582094465&sa=X&ei=PQAiTNnYFMGblgehlfhN&ved=0CBMQ0wQoADAA&usg=AFQjCNHrhbSHBRF1pwps7benQ4_0viTwoA <<< Sample of song!

Good Advice, by Allan Sherman

I know a man named Otis who invented a room,
And his heart was filled with pride.
I said to Mr. Otis, "What does your room do?"
He said, "It goes from side to side."
So I said, "Mr. Otis, if you take my advice,
You'll be the richest man in town.
You gotta take that room that goes from side to side,
And make it go up and down."
And that was good advice, good advice.
Good advice costs nothing, and it's worth the price.
I sincerely doubt
That the world could do without
My good advice.
Sir Isaac Newton came around to my house one day.
His face was all sunburned and red.
He said he didn't want to sleep in the shade of a tree,
Because an apple might fall on his head.
I said, "Sir Isaac, you dumbbell, take my advice.
Go right back there and sleep beneath that tree.
And if you let that rotten apple fall down on your head,
Why you'll discover gravity."
The world's a better place,
Since I gave the human race
My good advice.
A man named Mr. Waterman invented a tube.
He was sad because it sprung a little leak.
He said, "Darn it, when I hold my tube on a piece of paper,
The ink leaks out and makes a little streak."
He said, "I've gotta find a way to stop that leak.
I'll start working on my leakproof tube again."
I said, "Waterman, you idiot, don't stop that leak.
You just invented a fountain pen."
I'm so worldly wise,
I should get the Nobel Prize,
For good advice.
Good old Henry Ford, he was a hardworking man.
He worked all night and all day.
I said, "Henry, watcha doin'?"
And Henry, he said, "I'm inventing the Chevrolet."
He said, "I've already built twenty-five models,
One for each letter from A to Z."
I said, "Henry, you fool, there are twenty-six letters in the alphabet.
He said, "Good heavens, I forgot the Model T."
It's fruitful as can be,
And it's absolutely free.
My good advice.
Wilbur and Orville were two brothers named Wright.
The nicest pair of kids you've ever seen.
They worked twelve years on a secret project.
They thought it was a washing machine.
I said, "Fellas, what are all those wings for?"
They said, "For hanging clothes out to dry."
I said, "You fools, take that washing machine out to Kitty Hawk,
And see if the darn thing'll fly."
I'm so smart that I'm
Gonna win a Guggenheim,
For good advice.
(One more time)
Benjamin Franklin was a charming old man,
He was always flying his kite.
One night I said, "Benjy, why ain't you out with your kite?"
He said, "Because it's raining tonight."
I said, "Benjy, sweety, you go right back out there,
And to your kite string tie a key.
This may shock you, Benjy my boy,
But that's electricity."
I'll be fond of you
If you'll only listen to
My good advice.
Ooga Magoog was a Neanderthal man,
A very poorly educated soul.
He had a great big square thing made of solid stone,
And in the middle of it was a hole.
One day he had to go from his cave in Natchez
To his uncle's cave in Mobile.
I said, "Round off those corners
And buy a set of tires,
And Ooky baby, that's a wheel."
Harvard offered me
A Phi Beta Kappa key
For good advice.
Sigmund Freud, he had an unfurnished house.
He was a very nosy fellow, so it seems.
He had no chairs,
So he made all his friends stand around all day,
And tell him all their secrets and their dreams.
Well, while they stood there talking 'till they got fallen arches,
They yelled, "My feet are killing me. Ouch!"
I said, "Sigmund, don't you realize you've got a gold mine here.
Go out and buy yourself a leather couch."
Every word you're told
Will be 18 karat gold,
That's good advice.
Alexander Graham Bell was building a fence
With some wood, and a long piece of wire.
He said, "There's something strange going on around here.
I keep hearing the voice of Uncle Myer."
I said, "Mr. Graham Cracker," (that was my little joke)
"With that wire you got the world in your palm.
Just get a mouthpiece, and an earpiece, and a piece in between,
And you'll sponsor The Telephone Hour."
Every word ya hear
Is the message of the year,
It's good advice.
Christopher Columbus was a seaman second class
When I told him that the Indies could be found
By sailing to the West instead of sailing to the East.
I advised him that I thought the world was round.
(I really thought so.)
And then I sent him down to ask good Queen Isabella
To pawn her jewels for all their worth.
Next day he set sail, and as everyone knows,
He fell off the edge of the Earth.
And that was bad advice, bad advice.
Bad advice is just the same as good advice.
Everybody makes
Occasional mistakes,
And that was bad advice.

Every time I hear the term, "free advice" I think of Allan Sherman's song that goes; "Good advice, it costs you nothing and it's worth the price." [grin]

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you get your foot out of a shoe when the steel toe has been crushed????

From a web site with safety shoe info:
Q: What does the impact rating mean?
A: Safety toe boots are tested to meet one of two units of measurement for impact rating; 50 or 75 foot pounds. This test is performed by dropping a weight from a predetermined height at a designated speed. Thus, I/50 rated footwear will protect the toes from an impact of up to 50 foot pounds and I/75 rated footwear will protect the toes from an impact of up to 75 foot pounds.

Q: What does the compression rating mean?
A: Safety toe boots are tested to meet one of two units of measurement for compression rating; 50 = 1,750 pounds and 75 = 2,500 pounds. This test is performed by applying a load up to the designated number of pounds before the toe cap begins to crush or crack. Thus, C/50 rated footwear will protect the toes from compressive loads up to 1,750 pounds and C/75 rated footwear will protect the toes from compressive loads up to 2,500 pounds.

Q: Are add-on protective devices sufficient?
A: According to both ANSI and ASTM standards, protective toe caps must be an integral and permanent part of the footwear, so add-on devices do not meet those requirements. While those two standards exclude add-ons, however, it does not mean that such devices are not acceptable to OSHA. Those standards state that if the device has independent testing data to show that it provides protection equivalent to the ANSI requirement, then the add-on protective devices are acceptable to OSHA.

Q: What is a composite toe?
A: A composite toe is essentially the same as a steel toe, but it is non-metallic and non-magnetic. It is slightly lighter (mere grams) in weight than a steel toe cap, but meets the same ANSI/ASTM safety requirements as a steel toe.

Q: Which is better, a steel toe or a composite toe?
A: Both styles of safety toe caps offer the wearer a measure of protection because each meets ANSI/ASTM safety requirements. Steel toe boots tend to be slightly heavier (mere grams) than composite toe boots, but many people feel that a steel toe cap affords them more protection.

Q: What type of work is a composite toe boot best suited for?
A: Composite toe boots are better suited for those who must pass through metal detectors (nuclear workers, airport workers and security personnel) during the course of their work day.

So 1400 lbs of lead will make, what? 30 or 35 slugs for EddyCoyle's monster handgun?

700 grain loads. 7000 grains/lb. 1,400 lbs of lead will make 14,000 bullets for EddieCoyle's 500 if he made them of pure lead, which he won't, because the barrel would lead up something fierce. So, assuming that he's got to harden the lead with something, he'll get over 14,000 bullets.

Manhandling logs into my log splitter is no issue.

Manhandling this bad boy onto the splitter is another matter. Not that it's physically large (6 feet long, 10 inches thick, and 6 inches wide NOT a rectangle, mind you, but curvy surfaces), but just that it's extremely heavy.
I've had logs slip off the logsplitter onto my foot. I wouldn't want to to happen with this.

I'm talking one ton lift chains shivering with excitement.

We used some long lever bars, and managed to get the keel section upright, freeing the saw.
Then, somewhere, somehow, the damn freed chunk ROLLED ever so slow motion onto my left foot!
INSTANT PAIN.

Oh the Irony!! [laugh]

Seriously though, I'm glad you didn't break it and I hope it heels ([wink]) up soon.

Last edited:
i was helping a buddy re-shingle his roof and was moving some supplies around. He had picked up a roll of lead to flash a chimney. I mistook it for tin, and went to pick it up with on hand. I place my hand around it, and went to roll it onto my hand... that's when i realized that a little tiny roll of maybe 8 feet of lead, weighed a ton. My middle finger got the brunt of it, and stopped throbbing after a few day.

i'm sure that doesn't compare to having it fall on your foot. I hope you heal up quick.

Back
Top Bottom