Sailboat Keel - 1400 pounds of pure lead sweetness!

I saw what 500 pounds can do and yes removing the crushed steel toe shoe was terrible.
Impact versus compression. Using Duke's numbers and basic physics indicates 500 lbs. dropped from 2 inches high will easily exceed the higher I/75 rating on steel toed shoes. 1400lbs placed on a steel toe (ex. rolled) is well within the lower C50 compression rating for steel toed shoes.

Impact versus compression. Using Duke's numbers and basic physics indicates 500 lbs. dropped from 2 inches high will easily exceed the higher I/75 rating on steel toed shoes. 1400lbs placed on a steel toe (ex. rolled) is well within the lower C50 compression rating for steel toed shoes.

This was from 3 feet.

One week later, and the foot is somewhat on the mend. Not as much swollen as it was earlier in the week. Doesn't hurt too badly to walk on it.

Still very black and blue. I'm waiting for the "green stage" of black and blue to set in. That might make a lovely picture. Or, maybe not.

I'll be meeting up with a bunch of NES people tomorrow (Saturday) at a Massachusetts gun club. I can show any who want to stare at my foot.

HOLY CHRIST!!!

I just had a flippin flash back to the early 70's..... (Don't ask)

Back in the old CB Radio days (breaker, 1-9), I was doing lots of driving on the highways of New England. And, I always drove VERY fast.
I recall, I84 from Sturbridge to Hartford was actually I86 to the CT line, and then I84 from there to Hartford. I'm talking a buck 20 all the way!

My CB "handle" was........ oh the irony! ...... "Lead Foot" (old school definition was one with a heavy foot on the gas pedal)

My brain is going to explode........ Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

HOLY CHRIST!!!

Back in the old CB Radio days (breaker, 1-9), I was doing lots of driving on the highways of New England. And, I always drove VERY fast.
I recall, I84 from Sturbridge to Hartford was actually I86 to the CT line, and then I84 from there to Hartford. I'm talking a buck 20 all the way!

My CB "handle" was........ oh the irony! ...... "Lead Foot" (old school definition was one with a heavy foot on the gas pedal)

[laugh2][laugh][rofl]

How is it?

HOLY CHRIST!!!

Have you been hanging out with blitz1 again? [laugh]

No clue where that even is. (and won't Google it....)

The strange looking hairy woman was at a local drinking (redneck) place here in Maine.

So, are you saying that Blitz1 . ? . . . . never mind......

btw, all this humor is good for my healing foot.

I'm greatful cameltoe doesn't look like this!

Does it look like this Duke?

1365105497_754d9d1046.jpg

If you work close enough to an MRI machine or anything else that is highly magnetic (like a magnetic lift on a crane at a scrap yard) you will understand the benefits of a composite toe. Same goes working near high voltage where there is a possibility of something burning or tearing the leather exposing the metal to an electic shock.

If the shoe is crushed bad enough you can get the foot out without the toes.

How do you get your foot out of a shoe when the steel toe has been crushed????

From a web site with safety shoe info:
Q: What does the impact rating mean?
A: Safety toe boots are tested to meet one of two units of measurement for impact rating; 50 or 75 foot pounds. This test is performed by dropping a weight from a predetermined height at a designated speed. Thus, I/50 rated footwear will protect the toes from an impact of up to 50 foot pounds and I/75 rated footwear will protect the toes from an impact of up to 75 foot pounds.

Q: What does the compression rating mean?
A: Safety toe boots are tested to meet one of two units of measurement for compression rating; 50 = 1,750 pounds and 75 = 2,500 pounds. This test is performed by applying a load up to the designated number of pounds before the toe cap begins to crush or crack. Thus, C/50 rated footwear will protect the toes from compressive loads up to 1,750 pounds and C/75 rated footwear will protect the toes from compressive loads up to 2,500 pounds.

Q: Are add-on protective devices sufficient?
A: According to both ANSI and ASTM standards, protective toe caps must be an integral and permanent part of the footwear, so add-on devices do not meet those requirements. While those two standards exclude add-ons, however, it does not mean that such devices are not acceptable to OSHA. Those standards state that if the device has independent testing data to show that it provides protection equivalent to the ANSI requirement, then the add-on protective devices are acceptable to OSHA.

Q: What is a composite toe?
A: A composite toe is essentially the same as a steel toe, but it is non-metallic and non-magnetic. It is slightly lighter (mere grams) in weight than a steel toe cap, but meets the same ANSI/ASTM safety requirements as a steel toe.

Q: Which is better, a steel toe or a composite toe?
A: Both styles of safety toe caps offer the wearer a measure of protection because each meets ANSI/ASTM safety requirements. Steel toe boots tend to be slightly heavier (mere grams) than composite toe boots, but many people feel that a steel toe cap affords them more protection.

Q: What type of work is a composite toe boot best suited for?
A: Composite toe boots are better suited for those who must pass through metal detectors (nuclear workers, airport workers and security personnel) during the course of their work day.

So, BadLuther and I did some smelting of the keel pieces last Sunday (in the heat)... Including the insidious piece that left it's mark on my foot (good riddence!).

Here are some pictures of our rig (notice the skyhook!), and the results... lots of tasty pure lead ingots

keel1.jpg keel2.jpg keel3.jpg

Foot's doing a lot better. Not much of a mark left at all. I'm tempted to get out there and hit the last few pcs with the chainsaw, and reduce them to small sizes (so they fit in the pot).

Shade doesn't help much when it's 80+ degrees (F)... I did notice that the lead did melt very fast! Wonder if it was the air temp?

Oh, now I get it. It was the incomplete sentence that threw me off.
No, I don't have a shot maker.

However, I DO have the Lee slug mold, and have run a few of those. And, with both my son (with two shotguns) and my GF's son (just gave him a Winchester Model 12) now with shotguns, and handing out shotshells left and right, I'll soon be needing to start reloading shot shells again, and may have to buy some shot.

sometimes i'm like that, hard to follow...lol

I was joking with the thought that you would be making shot and selling it off, so i was waiting for the prices on 7 1/2 shot.

lol 1400lbs and have to buy shot. maybe you should look into a shot maker? actually i should look into how much they cost before i suggest that huh?

are you going to sell any of those slugs? hunting season coming up you know.

Back
Top Bottom