Saiga FSB

The way that they are dimpled onto the barrel, I think you have to almost destroy it to get it off. You can cut the front shroud off and expose the barrel for threading. Some of them are already threaded under there. Two of mine were.

The way that they are dimpled onto the barrel, I think you have to almost destroy it to get it off. You can cut the front shroud off and expose the barrel for threading. Some of them are already threaded under there. Two of mine were.

So you were able to cut through the shroud? Pipe cutter? Saw? Dremel?

this is not at all true. you drill out dimples to the depth 2-2.5 mm and press them off like normal pinned ak sight block.

don't hope for a threaded barrel. i've converted maybe 14- or 15 saigas between 2012 and 2014 and not once i came across one that had threads under sight block.
i'm thinking some early production used 7.62x39 barrels based on older AKM pattern and hence why those had threading. i do not think it is the case anymore. more likely that you will have to thread it.

if you don't want to replace entire FSB, than your choice is to just cut portion of the sleeve off, thread it and then use CNC-Warrior saiga-specific thread adapter to put on 74-style comp or install AKM style (M14 LH thread) brakes directly with no adapter. most efective way to cut it is a pipe cutter, dremmel and saw will work but will make it a lot less easy going.

in MA you will need to pin the break and can't install flash hiders.

also 922r if you care. that is regardless of what state you are in.

if you decide to remove FSB altogether don't cut it. bring it to me and i will remove it with proper tools w/o damage. i will press on new one for you as well. i will take removed saiga FSB as payment for the service.

Last edited:
dnepro-mike,

Thanks for the generous offer.
So far I have been able to do the conversion, and frankly I'm enjoying every minute. [wink]

SKS Ray,

Took your advice and looked up the thread. Thanks!

Now I have a follow up question. You mentioned in the thread that you had taken note of the mistakes you had read on Saiga12 forum conversions.
Mind sharing any tips before I start threading. [rolleyes]

Read the tutorials on the page at Dinzag Arms. Saiga barrels are slightly flared at the end and that makes getting threads started a PITA.

He sells a brake that us bored out deep enough to be screwed on all the way to the base of the sight block. Most brakes will bottom out before you get there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom