putting an AK74 style brake on a saiga. threads?

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
i have heard that all saigas have threaded barrels that can be accessed by carefully cutting the FSB off. Is there any truth to this? I would like to put a '74 style brake on my saiga conversion and would like to undertake the project on my own in my basement, but dont know what the project would entail, perhaps one of the AK gods on here can help me out with some basic info?

Only a few Saigas here and there have threaded barrels. Most people say they can see the threads under the sleeve. Its the sleeve that gets cut off, not the fsb.

Dinzag Arms' website has detailed info and all the tools you'll need, plus brakes that are deep enough to go all the way to the base of the fsb if you want a more authentic look.

threaded barrels on saiga is a sort of a unicorn.
since saigas are de-glorified AKs and use all the same parts i don't see why they would thread a barrel just cover up threads with neutered FSB.
as all know ak74 going forward has threads on the FSB and NOT on the barrel.
those same FSBs that have threads and go on standard AKs are turned down at the front to eliminate threaded portion. one of the trade-offs us/they had to make to be able to classify Saiga as sporting rifle. therefore an appearance of the sleeve.
i've cut off plenty of them and never once seen threaded barrel underneath.

however threading it and installing R14 to R24 adapter is not as difficult as 'carefully' cutting down the sleeve all the way back against the stem of the front sight.

yes you can cut just half of it by using pipe cutter but it looks odd and feels lile a job half-done.

also i noticed that w/o cleaning rod (that visually distracts your eye from otherwise pretty slim AK barrel look) and with large muzzle break saiga looks like a scrawny kid wearing his dad's suite that sits on him like on the hanger.

AK MUZZLE DEVICES for 24mm Threads - AK - AK47 - AKM - AK74 PARTS | AA-OK here is good source for authentic variety of AK muzzle devices and thread adapters

Last edited:
If you want the brake to sit flush againt the FSB you are going to have to cut down your barrel about 1/4 inch and re crown it. Obviously thread it as well. The saiga barrel extend further past the FSB then on a stanard AK. You will bottom out the threads in the brake well before you hit the FSB if you don't trim down the barrel. Also the saiga barrel is slightly thicker then other AK barrels, so getting the threading die started can be a project. Not trying to talk you out of it, just some things to keep in mind. I have cut, crowned and threaded a dozen saiga barrels with absolutely no guidence or instruction. They all shoot straight, and true. If your not retarded with hand tools you can pulling it off.

Also the tools to do this ran me about $225.

This is what is usually underneath the sleeve of a Saiga:

100_1518.jpg

Thats using the pipe cutter method to remove half of the sleeve. It works out ok because you end up with the right amount of muzzle to thread for a standard 14/1 brake plus its very clean and neat. If you're not concerned with the extra section of sleeve and the brake not sitting flush with the base of the block, it may work for you. Just remember that Saiga muzzles are often slightly flared so starting threads is difficult. A muzzle cutter helps. dinzagarms

If you're careful with a Dremel you can go right up to the base of the fsb and thread right up to it, but you will indeed need a brake that is deep enough to accommodate the entire section of exposed barrel. You can find one and info on extra muzzle here: dinzagarms

This is a pic of my first conversion with one of Dinzag's deep brakes. Its threaded right up to the base of the fsb.

20110819175525.jpg

My first two Saigas had threads under the sleeve. I scored the sleeve with a (dull) tubing cutter, and then took it off with a dremel wheel.

My latest one looked different, so I didn't risk cutting off the sleeve.

When I thought I was going to have to cut my own threads, I was looking at cncwarrior.com for the tools and muzzle devices.

I put a '74 style break on one. I thought it looked cool at first, but now that I have seen and built a bunch more AKs, I realize that it looks sorta goofy. I didn't cut it back flush with the FSB.

Last edited:
Of course if you want to take the easy way you can always get a Saiga IZ332 or IZ340. They already have Russian 24mm threaded front sight blocks pinned on with a cleaning rod holder and all. You just have to remove the three welds holding the sleeve on and you're ready to use whatever 24mm brake you want.

Back
Top Bottom