Saiga 7.62x39 conversions

SKS Ray

NES Member
I'll be doing one soon and am looking for info such as tips and links on where to buy from.

Anyone here with experience in converting a 7.62x39 Saiga? I'm interested more in using standard AK handguards and adding a muzzle brake.

Unfortunately my FSB is clamped and has dimples and is not pinned on. Removing it to add a standard AK FSB seems like it will be a pain in the ass so I think I'll be cutting back the sleeve on the Saiga one and threading the barrel for a brake, and then using a mig welder to tack it permanent. I've read about how hard the dimpled blocks are to remove and how a tubing cutter can be used to cut the sleeve.

Plus the Saiga FSB doesn't have a bayonet lug so theres no need to file the ears down on one to make it Mass legal.

Saiga12.com. Site is down right now but will be up shortly. All the info and how to sections one could need. Great source of info.

MAA also has parts for Siagas and I have had good luck with them. Great group to deal with.

Jay

I make the Fuglystick. www.thefuglystick.com if while during your conversion you are interested in a hand guard like that let me know. I have patterns for the shotguns and make them in 12 ga and 20ga as well as 410 but would like to get my hands on a rifle and make the mount for those as well. I found all the shotguns to use different mounts. Be willing to make you one for no charge.

Last edited:
I make the Fuglystick. www.fuglystick.com if while during your conversion you are interested in a hand guard like that let me know. I have patterns for the shotguns and make them in 12 ga and 20ga as well as 410 but would like to get my hands on a rifle and make the mount for those as well. I found all the shotguns to use different mounts. Be willing to make you one for no charge.

I'll be going traditional handguards for my Saiga 7.62x39 conversion but was just looking at that handguard earlier and planned on ordering one from MAA. I'll be putting it on a Saiga 12 I've been tinkering with. What mounting hardware do I need?

I make the Fuglystick. http://www.thefuglystick.com/ if while during your conversion you are interested in a hand guard like that let me know. I have patterns for the shotguns and make them in 12 ga and 20ga as well as 410 but would like to get my hands on a rifle and make the mount for those as well. I found all the shotguns to use different mounts. Be willing to make you one for no charge.

Fixed your link for you. [smile]

I'll be going traditional handguards for my Saiga 7.62x39 conversion but was just looking at that handguard earlier and planned on ordering one from MAA. I'll be putting it on a Saiga 12 I've been tinkering with. What mounting hardware do I need?

None. If you have a later gun you may have to dress the mounting tab with a file, sandpaper or dremel to get an exact fit to your gun. Other than that it mounts in the existing spot for the receiver and uses the original mount screw position. I do not like to do things that can not be undone. Working on a few other attachments for the Saiga as well.

Last edited:
None. If you have a later gun you may have to dress the mounting tab with a file, sandpaper or dremel to get an exact fit to your gun. Other than that it mounts in the existing spot for the receiver and uses the original mount screw position. I do not like to do things that can not be undone. Working on a few other attachments for the Saiga as well.

Sounds good. I'll be ordering one tomorrow. I don't like the looks of the factory Saiga handguard at all and didn't want to go the Galil style.

Thanks, Milsurps, the guards get mixed reviews.

When I made some of the first hand guards I took a beating on the saiga forums in regards to its appearance. I one guy called it ugly the next guy called it f-n ugly. I decided screw e'm and dubbed it the fuglystick. Tony Rumore (saiga guru) stepped in, showing off pics of his gun with the handguard, said he liked it and boy did the tunes change. Funny how that works.

I find the guard to fit in with the Saigas character as well unlike the milled billet tri and quad rail set ups that seem more appropriate on an AR.

The added advantage of being able to add or remove the rail sections is also a plus.

Back
Top Bottom