AR 7.62x39 question

I want to pick the brains of you folks who have done this.

I have completed an AR lower with a CMMG LPK. I am seriously thinking about using a 7.62x39 upper. My question concerns the hammer. Is the stock CMMG fire control group going to be "robust" enough on the 7.62 ammo? Would the trigger/hammer assembly for an AR-10 fit, and if so, would it be a better option? Any suggestions from those who have assembled a 7.62x39 AR would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I'd always heard that 7.62x39 AR15's were very tricky to get to work properly.

If you want a short .30 cal round in an AR15, get a .300 blackout.

I'd always heard that 7.62x39 AR15's were very tricky to get to work properly.

If you want a short .30 cal round in an AR15, get a .300 blackout.

You could also reload and do 9x39 witch is like the ak/Russian version .

The problem is the rounds don't like the straight magwell . .
4cf538255c173a940dda5dbd881d6ca1.jpg

Easy fix is to get a lower for the round.
71e93644deab07ccbc2c1a47e425fca3.jpg

You could also reload and do 9x39 witch is like the ak/Russian version .

The problem is the rounds don't like the straight magwell . .
4cf538255c173a940dda5dbd881d6ca1.jpg

Easy fix is to get a lower for the round.
71e93644deab07ccbc2c1a47e425fca3.jpg

And how well do those work? The last time I tried a real AR frankengun (lower that took G3 mags) it didn't work worth a shit.

And how well do those work? The last time I tried a real AR frankengun (lower that took G3 mags) it didn't work worth a shit.

I've read and heard good things about the rock river one, there's a few other lowers out there that do the same thing.

The only one I've heard any thing bad about was the mgi swappable mag section.
Was picky about types of mags. Miltary arms channels video explains why .

Just look at a ak mag and a ar/7.62x39 mag .
It's much easier to build a gun around a working magazine then trying to force a round through a hole it doesn't want to go into.

I've read and heard good things about the rock river one, there's a few other lowers out there that do the same thing.

The only one I've heard any thing bad about was the mgi swappable mag section.
Was picky about types of mags. Miltary arms channels video explains why .

Just look at a ak mag and a ar/7.62x39 mag .
It's much easier to build a gun around a working magazine then trying to force a round through a hole it doesn't want to go into.

Has RRA even began shipping the LAR 47 yet? From what I gathered late in 2013 they where only selling complete rifles and as of oct 2013 they where close to 2 years behind on filling orders..... at 1400$ im not so interested any more.

Thanks for the input, gents. The more I look at this option, it appears dead in the water. It seems like the 300 Blackout would just be a better, less-of-a-hassle project. No need for mag worries, etc. Information is much appreciated. I knew I could count on you guys!

It sounds like you've made up your mind, but figured I would chime in. A bunch of months ago another guy asked the same question and it went on for a few pages. I wrote up some of my thoughts based on my experience (bad), and some other guys added a lot too. All my problems were mag/feeding related. Never had any problems related to FCG.

300 Blackout would be excellent, and if you are cool with that, you're good to go. But it makes me ask the question...why were you thinking of doing 7.62x39? If for the power/performance, then yeah 300BLK is 100x the better option. However most people consider the 7.62x39 because you can get the ammo for [relatively] cheap. You're probably talking 1/3rd the cost per round of 300BLK.

So if you were looking at this project to save cash on ammo, then I would totally reconsider and get an SKS or AK type. You can get those Chinese SKS for $250-300 right now and shoot those all day.

If you can reload 300 BLK is a great option with a standard AR lower. If you don't reload, ammo might be expensive, but it is all expensive... :)

Thanks for the input, gents. The more I look at this option, it appears dead in the water. It seems like the 300 Blackout would just be a better, less-of-a-hassle project. No need for mag worries, etc. Information is much appreciated. I knew I could count on you guys!

Back
Top Bottom