• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W model 360J

Smith and Wesson J frame .38 special. Model M360J. I was told it is an overrun of a special model made for the Japanese Police

What is known about this uncatalogued model? I have one on hold for me but it doesn't seem like a one time release. I googled about them and they've seem to have been released at least twice previously. Are they really something special or just a marketing gimmick?

a few years ago Talo had them, they were supposed to be exactly what you said(Japanese contract over-run), at the time it was a way to get a scandium 360 for under $500, but you're limited to the .38 special chambering. I suspect they sold well and the distributors ordered more from S&W

Nothing special other than being an ounce lighter than the aluminum .38's and a price slightly higher, but still cheaper than a standard 360

From I got googling it, they were released in around 2009 and again in 2012. But people called S&W back then and Smith wouldn't give out any info. I'm thinking about getting my deposit back and getting a .357

I'd personally get a 357 I'm not sure what you paid, but I assume it's more than a standard J frame .38, the .357 can be painful to shoot, but it's nice to have the option
I got a "special run" 360 a few years ago, similar to the Jap contract gun, but it has the 357 cylinder (sku 160357) I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore, I haven't seen them offered for a few years, but the price was right, I think it was around $500

I bought one yesterday and shot it today, it's my first revolver and I'm a fan of it.....

The price is $389, cash $399 credit

It will be my first revolver too. Did you get yours at 4 seasons?

The price is $389, cash $399 credit

It will be my first revolver too. Did you get yours at 4 seasons?

That's actually a very fair price, I would buy it at that price, I was thinking they'd be priced about $500
you may just want to swap the grips out for shorter boot style grips, but you can find them for $25 or so.

I bought my 360 directly from the Smith & Wesson shop when they were still open

I got one recently. Seems like a snazzy little revolver. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it's in the safe.

A guy next to me was shooting a S&W 360J (.38 Special) today. It's an interesting little revolver that uses the same size cylinder in the 360 (.357 mag), but the 360J cannot take a .357 round.

The guy opened the cylinder to show me that there is a slight ridge at the end of each chamber, which prevents the longer .357 from being inserted all the way into it. Nice little gun, but at around 13 ounces, I don't think that I'd want to shoot .357s in a gun that light, although I believe that it's the same size and weight as the S&W 340 that shoots .357/.38+P.

360J

I have a 360J and it is a nice little revolver with scandium frame indeed. I bought a stainless cylinder for it from Brownells and had the cylinder converted to 9 mm by Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance Guns. Now I can shoot both .38spl+P and 9 mm. Also, 38 Super.
Looks good, too.

Back
Top Bottom