S&W M&P 15-22 vs Ruger SR-22

paracarry

NES Member
I'm thinking of purchasing one of these, can anyone give me some feed back on them, the good the bad and the ugly? I already have a a Ruger 10/22, so I am leaning toward the S&W.any feed back would be appreciated. Thank You.

I went up to Carl's and looked at all 3 22s. The SR22 felt the best. All metal good weight(not heavy). And used
standard 10-22 mags . The other 2 were like toys retrofitted for .22s with mag wells the size of an AR.
The SR22 is a flat top which allows you your choice of sights. The only thing was I needed to order a rail
from Ruger to mout the front sight post. I think it was like $20. all drilled and tapped and with hardware.

i have the 15-22, i like it. it's definatley in the case EVERY time i go to the range... even if i don't plan on shooting it [laugh] -i just need it there, just in case

i fondled the SR-22, it's also nice, especially since you can use the 10/22 mags.... another good thing about the SR-22 is that it has a standard AR Butt-stock, while the 15-22 is "all in one" lower receiver and butt-stock.

*if you are looking for a "trainer" AR, go with the 15-22 as all the controls and size(s) are the same.
*if you are looking for a tack driver or tacticool .22 AR, go with the one you like... each has it's advantages

the decision was easy for me because i already had (have) a 10/22 as well, so i didn't see the point in buying another one [wink]

[smile]

I use a dedicated .22 upper on a standard A2 lower. I can't get much closer to my standard AR than that. Unfortunatly, they have not made my upper in a few years so I can't recommend it to you. If you want to go that route, go to AR15.com., there is a topic sub section under the AR15 topics for .22 calibers and rimfires. You could ask there about the current uppers and/or your post here. One thought though, if the Ruger shares the same mags as your 10/22, it may be a benefit to stick with it.

I have the 15-22. Nice little red dot on it. LOVE IT! I've had it for a week and on day one I took down a rabbit on the farm with it barely sighted in.

I'm thinking of purchasing one of these, can anyone give me some feed back on them, the good the bad and the ugly? I already have a a Ruger 10/22, so I am leaning toward the S&W.any feed back would be appreciated. Thank You.
can't say anything about the ruger SR-22 but I did buy the M&P 15-22 And let me tell you it the most fun I've had with my pants on. Bought a cheepey scope from walmart, dialed it in at 50 yards then compensated for a 8" x 8" target AT 100 YARDS and WOW 20 OUT OF 20 how much more can I say !!!!! DO IT !!!

I got the 15-22 last weekend and when it functioned it was a very fun gun to shoot. It was out of commission for a few days while I tried to get very heavy leading out of the barrel (never buying CCI Blazer again), but its back up and functioning now and I love it. I've never shot the SR-22 but I have no complaints about the 15-22 and I'm a picky person.

I have look at S&W M&P15-22, Ruger SR22 and Remington 597. S&W feel very plastic. I like the charging handle for S&W as it's feel like I'm handling a real AR-15. I also have a chance to try out the SR22 at the range. It's heavy and felt like a real gun. I like the feel of SR22 and I'm add a SR-22 to my collection. 597 also feel good too, but I have not shoot it.

I think SR22 is the better path. First, you already have Ruger Magazine. No need to spend money for S&W magazine. Ruger magazine will work on your 10/22 or SR22. Second, you can get Pre-Ban magazine for Ruger. More ammo capacity.

I can only say that I love my M&P15-22, especially have a little trigger work, polishing and new springs. That it is so AR standard made that a breeze. And it makes carbine training cheap and fun for the whole family!

I have shot my friend's MP15-22, it's nice.
Bought an ATI .22lr Upper and would recommend it to anyone.
Cheaper then a rifle and shoots everything.

Who knows what about the GSG5 .22 imported by American Tactical, held one the other day Liked the feel of it and the price. Anyone have any experience with these? I think I may go that way rather than the S&W or Ruger.

Who knows what about the GSG5 .22 imported by American Tactical, held one the other day Liked the feel of it and the price. Anyone have any experience with these? I think I may go that way rather than the S&W or Ruger.

I got to put a few rounds through a GSG5 a couple days ago. It had a red dot scope and was nice. Very fun to shoot. The owner had a very positive review of it. I'm currently looking into either a GSG5 or the S&W MP15-22

I have a GSG AK-47 and I think its an awesome plinker. Occasionallt it will have a failure to feed on the last round, but its no big deal for me. Last weekend my best friend picked up a GSG5 at the Springfield show (for a STEAL) and after taking it to the range this week we also love this little plinker. Since the GSG5 has had a redesign, the older ones are going for a little more cash now though.

Back
Top Bottom