S&W 1911 3" Pro Series vs "E" series info request

This would be my first 1911. I was down at Sportsmen's Den in Quincy the other day and saw this in the case. I can see why there is such a fuss over 1911's now. The thing felt great in my hands, and that could be due to the fact it's what S&W considers a sub compact.

Then I got around to poking at the website, and see this new "E" series in the lineup, which looks like they took the slide off an M&P and put it on the 1911 frame. The round butt looks funky, but if it helps reduce printing I'm all for it. Barrel is 4.25" so presumably it helps with muzzle flip compared to the Pro Series 3" barrel.

Any of you guys up here in the NE put these guns through the paces? The good, the bad, the ugly?

SW1911
screenshot20110302at226.jpg

Model SW1911SC
"E" Series - Round Butt, Scandium Frame
screenshot20110302at226.jpg

I like the styling and additional sight radius of the E-Series, but slightly prefer the shorter guns when carrying them. Frankly, though, unless you're dedicated to carrying the 1911 platform, the full-sized (5") guns really run and shoot better than either of these.

Short 1911s tend to need attention and care to run well, and still end up being heavy and having reasonably stout recoil.

Last edited:
I've never been a huge fan of the 1911 with a 3" barrel. IMO, the 4.25" is a great option and not a big difference than the 5". I went with the 4.25" S&W 1911PD Commander and really like the look and feel of it. I do love the look of the new "E" series too though :)

I won't buy a 1911 shorter than ~4". When I first got into 1911s, I carried a Kimber Compact -- officer's size frame and ~4" barrel. These days, I'm carrying a full size 1911.

I've the sub compact and the Gunsite (commander). Both are great guns. I don't know why but the sub compact feels like it just belongs and recoil isn't felt anymore. However a firm grip is very important on the subcompact as I've found. Anything less and at least I experience a FTF.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The more I look at the E series, the more aesthetically pleasing it becomes. That round butt has my name all over it. Will have to call down there and see if they have one on the shelf that I can check out. Like most things, I'm sure I'll end up breaking down and picking up the 3", just like Piman did[laugh]

I won't buy a 1911 shorter than ~4". When I first got into 1911s, I carried a Kimber Compact -- officer's size frame and ~4" barrel. These days, I'm carrying a full size 1911.

this

go big or stay home.

that said, my 5" SW 1911 tends to pinch me on the hip if i'm not careful when i get in my car. i have bruises to show. [laugh]

edit: i am toying with a SW 1911 PD w / a 4" or 4.25" barrel to eliminate that. -only a matter of time.

this

go big or stay home.

that said, my 5" SW 1911 tends to pinch me on the hip if i'm not careful when i get in my car. i have bruises to show. [laugh]

edit: i am toying with a SW 1911 PD w / a 4" or 4.25" barrel to eliminate that.
You just need a different holster.

You just need a different holster.

i have a Don Hume PCCH and have absolutely no issues with the holster. -aside from entering my car and the occasional reach for the wallet.

it's IWB and holds the gun snug against my body... i just have a nice butt i guess. [rofl]

it has a slight cant... again, no complaints. i have a lot of holsters, from comptac to crossbreeds... my 1911's need nothing! [smile]

i will entertain suggestions

i'm 5' 11" - 185 lbs of bad ass.

i have a Don Hume PCCH and have absolutely no issues with the holster. -aside from entering my car and the occasional reach for the wallet.

it's IWB and holds the gun snug against my body... i just have a nice butt i guess. [rofl]

it has a slight cant... again, no complaints. i have a lot of holsters, from comptac to crossbreeds... my 1911's need nothing! [smile]

i will entertain suggestions

i'm 5' 11" - 185 lbs of bad ass.

I'm glad you think so highly of yourself. You sure save some women the torment. [wink] I'm 5'10, 210 lbs of fat ass. Close enough.

I carried a Springfield Ultra Compact (dead ringer for the S&W 3" Pro) as my EDC for a long time, and really like it. The only reason I switched out was weight. I'm thinking about swapping in an AL frame for it, and it must might become a favorite again.

Now, if I could get an AL frame, and the bobtail mod done on the gun...oh, boy!

Bobtail mod on an Officer's frame? Why? I can understand on a fullsize or commander (same frame as the fullsize), but I never had a problem concealing the butt of my Kimber Compacts.

Bobtail mod on an Officer's frame? Why? I can understand on a fullsize or commander (same frame as the fullsize), but I never had a problem concealing the butt of my Kimber Compacts.

Just like to round off that sharp end on the frame. That edge doesn't really do anything for hold (I was surprised when I first gripped a bobtailed weapon), and can help keep the jacket from snagging. Because of the frame/mainspring housing, it's hard to do a "conventional" bobtail, but I saw a 'smith once who radically rounded the bottom of the mainspring housing on an OM. Me likey.

Usually holster selection is the hardest choice for me, but pretty sure I'm taking the shortcut and going with this
1003063_885024MR_A_400.jpg

I carried a Springfield Ultra Compact (dead ringer for the S&W 3" Pro) as my EDC for a long time, and really like it. The only reason I switched out was weight. I'm thinking about swapping in an AL frame for it, and it must might become a favorite again.

The 3" pro was extremely light imho. This of course was unloaded and in hand only, not in holster. Curious as to what you switched out to that was lighter.

The Ultra Compact has a 3.5" barrel right? I have been eying that model for a while - would love to hear your thoughts (PM if easier). Current spec seems to say 33oz and the Sub Compact is 26.5oz so it's lighter...

Have you looked at the Micro Compact which is the 3" barrel one?

Now, if I could get an AL frame, and the bobtail mod done on the gun...oh, boy!

Usually holster selection is the hardest choice for me, but pretty sure I'm taking the shortcut and going with this
1003063_885024MR_A_400.jpg

How you don't get mugged by Barney the dinosaur is an achievement by most men's standards.

I pretty much hate carrying anything beyond 3'oclock. I always feel like it makes me look too wide, or that it prints. Most likely, I'm not doing it right, but ither way IWB is the way to go for me.

Just like to round off that sharp end on the frame. That edge doesn't really do anything for hold (I was surprised when I first gripped a bobtailed weapon), and can help keep the jacket from snagging. Because of the frame/mainspring housing, it's hard to do a "conventional" bobtail, but I saw a 'smith once who radically rounded the bottom of the mainspring housing on an OM. Me likey.
The thing is, for me at least, the part of the grip that is bobtailed is not the part that prints. For me, the parts of a 1911 that print are 1) the beavertail, or 2) the toe of the grip -- the front side at the bottom.

They look interesting and I'd like to try one, but it isn't clear to me that it is really solving a problem.

The thing is, for me at least, the part of the grip that is bobtailed is not the part that prints. For me, the parts of a 1911 that print are 1) the beavertail, or 2) the toe of the grip -- the front side at the bottom.

They look interesting and I'd like to try one, but it isn't clear to me that it is really solving a problem.

It's the part that prints for me, carrying at 4:30 or so, but it also feels horrid in my hands if bobtailed. I think milage will vary.

Greg Derr put together a nice CCO that I carry occasionally, and he rounded the Officer's mainspring housing off just a little. It gets rid of the sharp edge, at least, without changing the grip shape. I think this is probably the best you can really do with an Officer's frame, without ending up in science-project land.

The Ultra Compact has a 3.5" barrel right? I have been eying that model for a while - would love to hear your thoughts (PM if easier). Current spec seems to say 33oz and the Sub Compact is 26.5oz so it's lighter...

Have you looked at the Micro Compact which is the 3" barrel one?

I haven't looked at the Micro. I stumbled onto the Ultra at a stupid-cheap price and have been happy with it.

I'll send some thoughts via PM, but if you ever want a hands-on with the gun, just let me know. I'm in SoNH.

The 3" pro was extremely light imho. This of course was unloaded and in hand only, not in holster. Curious as to what you switched out to that was lighter.

I'm sorry, I wasn't specific. I switched to a Karh P9 as my EDC, which is significantlly lighter.

Fusion makes an AL OM frame that I lust after, and would like to swap into my Ultra Compact.

My UC:

2wpp5yq.jpg

The two together:

15wi9u1.jpg

It's the part that prints for me, carrying at 4:30 or so, but it also feels horrid in my hands if bobtailed. I think milage will vary.

Greg Derr put together a nice CCO that I carry occasionally, and he rounded the Officer's mainspring housing off just a little. It gets rid of the sharp edge, at least, without changing the grip shape. I think this is probably the best you can really do with an Officer's frame, without ending up in science-project land.

I think you're exactly right. Any chance you can post a pic of the CCO?

Anymore people going to comment on shooting the Pro Series? There's gotta be more of you out there. As far as carry would the Sc carry just as well as the shorter Pro?

I commented, but didn't actually talk about shooting it. Recoil is stout and flip is significant. Follow up shots take time; my splits are probably EDIT: higher than normal with a longer gun or lighter load.

It's what you'd expect from a .45ACP with a three-inch barrel. The sights are typical S&W fare (Novak stylings with nothing special). The trigger was acceptable, as was fit and finish.

The gentleman who owned the gun was convinced it was hitting low and left. It wasn't; if you're sensitive to muzzle blast and recoil, you're in for it.

Additionally, ammunition choice becomes important below 3.5" or so. Running 230 grain ammo, as I really like, lowers the velocity down into the 700 fps range. You'll still get 15" of penetration from (for example) Speer Gold Dot, but expansion may not be as reliable. You won't be punching through barricades or winning bowling pin matches.

Last edited:
Roland,

Whoa, Thanks very much for the most informative post. As pretty much "novice" class, I did own a PD before and sold it. I thought it was ok to shoot as far as recoil.

A kid in the gun store who was standing next to me while I was holding one said he shot the Pro and said the recoil was "noticeable".

I don't know why I'd want or need another 1911 but I just do. The Pro Series just felt right in my hand BUT unfortunately Smith doesn't rent that model to try. I'd love to shoot one just to see for myself.

And I'm wondering if they are renting out the new E Series Sc model? That looks like a nice piece.

Thanks again for the most informative post. People like me and probably the OP appreciate this kind of feedback.

Back
Top Bottom